Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:11 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are several ESC what can do dynamic timing, but maybe one of them got their software better than others.

From what I know that ESC from Sweden was not designed specially for 1S Lipo. Maybe you just could select what battery you want using.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Without trying to sound electronically ignorant (or hiding the fact that I am) could the voltage of the receiver pack b added only for a certain amount of time similar to the turbo feature in v200 (KERS son!). Could the Black Diamond only call on the extra voltage say when full throttle is detected? Would these small burst drain the battery in a 8 min heat?

P.S. to Randy Pike; not bailing, just waiting Sic 'em DOG, LRP is Euro correct? Leading edge tech comes from all over the globe, ask Peter Windsor
Old 09-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheROK1212
Without trying to sound electronically ignorant (or hiding the fact that I am) could the voltage of the receiver pack b added only for a certain amount of time similar to the turbo feature in v200 (KERS son!). Could the Black Diamond only call on the extra voltage say when full throttle is detected? Would these small burst drain the battery in a 8 min heat?

P.S. to Randy Pike; not bailing, just waiting Sic 'em DOG, LRP is Euro correct? Leading edge tech comes from all over the globe, ask Peter Windsor
There's no way a small mAH pack can supply the AMP demand required. The pack they used was to power the brain board of the ESC which has a voltage regulator and has nothing to do with the voltage going to the power board where the MOSFETs are located at. Maybe the guys at Advanced Electronics has come up with a better software, but from what I see, CRC had the advantage of a little less weight from not using a separate booster and I'm sure that their cars were set up correctly. I also bet that the drivers were consistent as well. Like I said before, there are electronic components on the market now that would eliminate the need for a separate Rx pack and they work by stepping up the voltage. It's only a matter of time before we see a company utilizing it (them) in their design.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheROK1212

I'm not sure what kind of amps the motors pull but I'd think it's relatively safe to say that IF the rx pack was supplying any kind of voltage at the same current drain as is pulled from the main pack it'd poop out and let out the magic smoke. Battery notwithstanding, would the 22 gauge (or whatever size they are) not burn up with the amperage being pulled by the motor? I'm by no means electronically arrogant or trained, I'm just tossing the questions in my head out there
Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lutach
There's no way a small mAH pack can supply the AMP demand required. The pack they used was to power the brain board of the ESC which has a voltage regulator and has nothing to do with the voltage going to the power board where the MOSFETs are located at. Maybe the guys at Advanced Electronics has come up with a better software, but from what I see, CRC had the advantage of a little less weight from not using a separate booster and I'm sure that their cars were set up correctly. I also bet that the drivers were consistent as well. Like I said before, there are electronic components on the market now that would eliminate the need for a separate Rx pack and they work by stepping up the voltage. It's only a matter of time before we see a company utilizing it (them) in their design.
They still had to make minimum weight and did have to run a power pack (not really a rxr pack though), just no booster, so there was no weight advantage. I heard Frank made them all wear a red left sock too.........made them way faster, lol. I don't know how many times a person has to say it, you can't make more power out of something that isn't there. What they did only makes the electronics run more efficient so your not trying to share power between the motor, the servo and the speed control.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default wow

After reading thru this thread I can see how ignorance and speculation can make lots of money for r/c companies. A simple understanding of electronics would help everyone, but it's easier to guess about something you don't understand.

1) Powering a motor from a 180mah receiver pack. Boosting voltage with the same pack. Lets just assume that the little 22awg wire can handle 15amps, do you think that the lipo pack has 84c rating?

2) I am beginning to think more and more that the way to end all of this is to just have 1 class: open mod. That way, esc's don't matter. You just need a 5000mah pack and hang on.

3) What's amazing to me is that manufacturers are driving the market and the racers are acting like lemmings off the cliff. Why push for slower motors and then spend lots of money to make them faster, just use faster motors in the first place. If I run 13.5 on a medium sized track, the car has plenty of power, the motor doesn't get hot, and the runtime is great. If I then run a 17.5, geared up to be fast, the motor runs hot and I pull more mah from the battery than with the 13.5. The boost esc's are great for only 1 party: the makers of the electronics.

4) I used to think that brushless and lipo would finally end the $ wars in r/c. Boy was I wrong. The only good thing is that the average racer can now purchase the same electronics as the "pros", but the arms race to keep up is getting ridiculous.

Oh well, back to work. I'll log in later to get my daily lesson of electronics from the back of the cereal box.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 for bill jacobs, it makes no sense trying to supercharge these high turn spec motors. we are right back where we started with all of the electronics wars. run mod or run off road where none of this matters its all in the hands
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

WOW, well I made to page 26 and was like, broken record. My 2 cents, the drivers that won would have won with that esc or an LRP or a Tekin. Why complain or make a big deal. Just get your order in asap for that new speedo and see how much it improves your racing, its not going to make a champion out of Joe Racer.