R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)
Default Looking for some advice

I currently am running my old Schumacher MI2 in a vintage class at my local track. I have a Novak GTB with a 21.5 motor and have run into a problem with gearing. In order to get the gear ratio i would like I have to have a 41 tooth pinion and a 92 tooth spur. Problem is that will not fit I have a 39 on now and have no more adjustment left. I talked to Schumacher today and Shawn told me that I should look into getting a Speed Passion ESC . He said that Novak was a little behind the curve on brushless ESCs and that by putting the Speed passion in I might actually have to gear the car down do to the increased speed and would not have to gear up anymore.

My question is, Is there that much of a difference between the 2 or was he just blowin smoke up my ass to get me to buy a new esc.

Any comments are appreciated. 5 years ago when I put this car away I never thought Id be racing again and its a whole new world compared to what I left
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

He was absolutely right.

Simply put all the new esc have have timing profiles that ramp up the timing thru the rpm's.

I used to gear 17.5 at a 3.4 final and with my new tekin im at a 5.0 and im still way faster down the straight with the added punch in the infield of having such a taller gear ratio
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Ok Thanks for the heads up. Now what esc is the best on the market right now? I have a Mamba Max in my erevo and love the ability to tune it via laptop or computer. is the Speed Passion the way to go or should I be looking at a Tekin or LRP?
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I prefer the tekin because of the laptop tuning and firmware updates for free via a usb interface like the mamba, with with the boost and turbo features its a total killer on the track, just ask some questions in the respective threads to get an idea as to what each esc is capable of.

i wont get into detail as not to start a flame war or a which esc is the best debate as either the lrp, speedpassion, or tekin can easily put you in the winners circle.

if you have any questions about the tekin feel free to pm me and ill answer what i can.
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you have a laptop, I like the Tekin ESC the best.

If you dont, the timing advance abilitys of the LRP SPX is good.

And the speedpassions are pretty cool ESC.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
If you have a laptop, I like the Tekin ESC the best.

If you dont, the timing advance abilitys of the LRP SPX is good.

And the speedpassions are pretty cool ESC.
It's not just the laptop, you also have to have the Hot Wire box to program the Tekin ESC. So that is an extra $31.99. The SPX might be a better option. Tower has the SPX for $179.00 plus a $20 off coupon on the front page make it a killer deal. Both are excellent ESCs, you really can't go wrong.
MonkeyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I had the same problem with my T2 007 and the Tekin in 21.5 class. Looking around I have realised that most chassies ont he market today do not cover the range of gearing required by the development of BL systems. My decision then instead of buying a new car was to change to another pitch (64) and because even then i had to have some huge pinions, I decide to change the internal ratio of the car by changing the center pulleys to larger ones. I had a look at the MI4 of a friend at the track (from what I know, the MI2 is pretty similar) and am not sure this is an easy task for you but you may find it worth exploring. In my case it required machining a new layshaft that would accomodate centre pulleys from Kawada (24 teeth as opposed to 18 of the Xray) and buying the longer belts available from Xray for other cars in their range. I am not sure this is easy with the Schumacher cars but that is the way I would go.

Tekin is a good product of very good quality, but you might find it doesn't fit your needs, and it's not cheap (nothing is). Compared to the cost of sourcing another layshaft (or just the pulleys) or having a layshaft custom made and buying two belts, it may be less feasible. To me it was very easy as I already had all the parts and a lathe to machine the shaft. If you have the same possibilities, mabe it's worth having a go before dishing out the cash.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
In order to get the gear ratio i would like I have to have a 41 tooth pinion and a 92 tooth spur. Problem is that will not fit I have a 39 on now and have no more adjustment left.
Hey Davin,

Have you tried or can you try a smaller spur? Spur is a lot cheaper than an ESC. Might want to give that a try before spending the money on the SP.
R/C Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

All you have to do is change your spur gear.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As stated before, drop a few teeth on the spur (trying going to an 80-86 tooth) and then adjust your pinion accordingly for the final drive you are trying to achieve.

However, that is not to say that it's not worth upgrading your speed control. I think you would be shocked to see how much faster your 21.5 would be running profile 8 on an SPX versus your GTB. But unless that extra speed is a huge deal for you, we are talking about a huge price difference between buying a new spur gear ($5) or a new speedo ($150-200!).
Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wouldn't going to a smaller spur make the problem worse, it would move the gears even futher apart and you still wouldnt be able to get the gear ratio you need with a larger pinion.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If he has a 39 now that fits, and the 41 doesn't fit, he needs to go smaller on the spur. If he had a 39 and he was trying to fit a 37 but it didn't fit, he'd have to go larger.

Last edited by M-Technic; 10-08-2009 at 07:29 AM.
M-Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Wouldn't going to a smaller spur make the problem worse, it would move the gears even futher apart and you still wouldnt be able to get the gear ratio you need with a larger pinion.
To answer your question... No.

He is trying to achieve a higher FDR (final drive ratio). He has tried using a larger pinion. Using a larger pinion will produce the same result as using a smaller spur. Going to a smaller spur will give you more room to put on a larger pinion.
R/C Rich is offline   Reply With Quote