Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Lindenhill
I think there is reason for all the other makers/manufacturer of ESC:s to be worried.
worried.. until next new "improved" ESC comes out from xyz company!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sagino
worried.. until next new "improved" ESC comes out from xyz company!
Exactly! The thing when there is new product that takes things a little bit further, is that it force the makers/manufacturer to develop new better products. In the end it will hopefully give the hobbyist better and more reliable products. But the thing is that it does not matter if you have all the latest, fastest and the fanciest stuff. If you do not have the driving skill and do not practice a lot, you do not need the stuff.
That was the biggest problem last weekend in Vegas. There were lots of people/manufacturer that did not succeed as expected, then they try to find something else to blame. All of a sudden there was a speedo they thought were illegal and people/manufacturer were start acting like … (I could not find a proper word for it ) \Lindenhill
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lindenhill
Exactly! The thing when there is new product that takes things a little bit further, is that it force the makers/manufacturer to develop new better products. In the end it will hopefully give the hobbyist better and more reliable products. But the thing is that it does not matter if you have all the latest, fastest and the fanciest stuff. If you do not have the driving skill and do not practice a lot, you do not need the stuff.
That was the biggest problem last weekend in Vegas. There were lots of people/manufacturer that did not succeed as expected, then they try to find something else to blame. All of a sudden there was a speedo they thought were illegal and people/manufacturer were start acting like … (I could not find a proper word for it ) \Lindenhill
Lindenhill, I agree with your post, for the most part of it anyway, it is not necessary to get the newest and fanciest stuff, but it is good to have. Ultimately, with this wave of dynamic timing coming into the ESC market, it becomes a necessity. I have seen the newer ESC driven by a less skilled driver matching a more skilled driver with an older ESC. The power coming out is just unbelievable, especially when matched to the motor of the same brand.

I do not think there is anything wrong with prototype ESCs in a big event. I goto TITC in Thailand every year and there would be a few manufacturers going there with a new product or two, whats the big deal? I suppose all manufacturers woould know what can and cannot be done and I d not think that they will cheat just to get the speed and ruin their reputation? I don't think so.

If you want the prototype products then like Lindehill put it practise more and get recognized and get signed up by a manufcturer, you are then set.

Don't think too much over this issue about the illigal ESC, I think everyone would have their opinion on this and it will ultimately be up to the organizer to look into it, not you or me. Its not unfortunate, it just the fact. If they say its ok, its ok. No matter what aspect we are talking about, the organizers have the utmost authority. Don't be like us when our organizer say their hands are tied by the Tamiya officials(long and old story).
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great thread!
Great thread for the owner of advanced electronic too.
I think its cool for a small Swedish manufactor to create an ESC that dominates totally.
This is VIKING power at it´s best!
Much talk about tekin also in this thread but face the truth, Americans cant do decent electronics.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tjompa
Much talk about tekin also in this thread but face the truth, Americans cant do decent electronics.
This made me chuckle.

We don't believe the esc was cheating at all. However to "Joe Blow" just the sight of a 2s pack plugged in was enough to raise concern. It was an odd configuration indeed, compared to what the "norm" was at the time.

Worried!? LOL really? That's almost insulting, or better yet a compliment depending on how you look at it.

Kudos go to the CRC team for bringing the heat....

To all the Tekin users reading this thread, please enjoy your latest software update to get the "latest and greatest" speedo in the next few weeks(via software update)...................................For Free!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
just somethin else to complain about. u eliminated the 'need' to keep buyin batteries that had more punch or runtime and thus a big $$$. need i forget saying 'showing up with 1 battery vs 6'. we've also removed the need to be a mad scientist with brushes, springs, comm lathes, hood tools etc etc in brushed motor tech. both huge expenses that have been reduced or removed from hobby.

honestly, i dont mind stirrin the shite as many of u know, but...

this is an issue over technology that is avail to all of us (yes the pros get to try trick stuff 1st, but it trickles down. nothin new there).

every1 has some form of adjustable timing. and if u go to far, u pay the price. same as before with every1 running fixed timing (exc mod).

want to complain bout something on speedo tech? is that all this tech has a cool factor. but how is it gonna help keep people in the hobby, and more importantly get new folks in the hobby?

rc has bigger issues to sort out than speedo technology. it was bound to happen anyway. save for resistance levels, death of 60hz, RVP, and torque control, speedos from 2006 yield little difference to those from 1986.

the last thing we has hobbyists need to do is bicker bout these things. it doesnt help the hobby in large. who cares who has the biggest 'shite' in the speedo dept if folks leave and the track puts up the closed sign. we lost another 1 this wkend in our area. sadly the 1 5min from my 1st house thats in construction.

rethink it all folks, when it gets down to it, the nitro guys once again have somethin to snicker about.

1 day electric will get back to stock and mod. mod u can play w/all that stuff. stock ur limited in some way shape or form. less classes, more racers. yeh some guys will always be up front, and others not so much. not every1 can win.

did ya have fun? ask yourself that. make it a point if u forget. going home 9th and having a good time is better than a win feelin mad bout somethin that mighve happened or just flat out tired workin so hard for somethin thats supposed to be a hobby.

off the box

R
Well said
Old 09-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
This made me chuckle.

To all the Tekin users reading this thread, please enjoy your latest software update to get the "latest and greatest" speedo in the next few weeks(via software update)...................................For Free!
Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Keep up the good work randy!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To CRC and Tekin I say keep up the good work. Yes a big races I would like to see Prototype equipment. Have a spec class if someone wants rules down to the nuts and bolts of the car. The classes at Vegas were not spec classes. If CRC hasnt run thier esc we would not have seen how great it was. In turn who knows how long the new download from Tekin would have been. BTW that Tekin is a monster as well.

Thats my 2 cents only because you asked.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
And thats exactly why I've two Tekin RS's, being able to keep up with the latest ESC software without needing to buy a new speedy.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

this seems to be the right thread to ask..

i have been out from 1/10racing for some years and is looking to start again

i read everywhere that tekin and lrp is the thing to get, but then i read that everything is about software today with brushless

i have a losi xceloron s esc today, is it way off if i want to compete in the 17.5 class?

can someone explain this in a short and easy way?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hatebreed
this seems to be the right thread to ask..

i have been out from 1/10racing for some years and is looking to start again

i read everywhere that tekin and lrp is the thing to get, but then i read that everything is about software today with brushless

i have a losi xceloron s esc today, is it way off if i want to compete in the 17.5 class?

can someone explain this in a short and easy way?
YES! I am sorry that this has to be so direct. The thruth of the story, the software is the bulk of the whole package. As the dynamic timing used by all the current crop of manufacturers are generating about 7000+Kv from a 3600+Kv motor, so go figure.

And I beg to differ from Scooter79rs. I agree Tekin has done a good job by putting so much into such a small package, but it will also be its limitation for the future. I have used LRP Sphere TC Spec and also tried the LRP SXX TC-Spec, the difference when I run a 4.0 turn motor is the heat build up. The smaller the circuit, the more heat it generates. Also many manufactures do not state the true rating of the FETs installed in the ESC, they always tend to show the maximum peak current for the three phases. I hope all of us users can better understand the real rating under the shell. Even electronics are know to suffer from fatigue caused by the high current passing through them over time. So it may not be the best solution to just keep upgrading the software and neglect the hardware.

Just my two cents worth of opinion.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

so basically it doesnt matter what top end esc you are using as long as you have the right software? (ok may be hard go get those turbo softwares that you are talking about but in theory)
Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hatebreed
so basically it doesnt matter what top end esc you are using as long as you have the right software? (ok may be hard go get those turbo softwares that you are talking about but in theory)
Well, yeah, sort of... Thing is, with so much testing going on, it would be very very expensive to keep up with the new software if you had to buy a new speed control every time the manufacturer came up with new software. LRP's SXX is just about rendered obsolete with the Black Diamond ESC, at the very top echelon of racing at least, as far as software and performance are concerned, at least that's the way it sounds judging by this thread. Tekin is going to have an advantage in that respect because of the firmware updates that are available through their website and Hotwire setup. At least, until they run into the issue of the hardware not being able to keep up with the software. The "turbo software" was a new software program that was available from Tekin but only works with Tekin ESC's. You can't download the Tekin software and install it in any random ESC unfortunately. Hope that clears it up a little...
Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyanyde
Here's the deal.

Where I'm at, the guy who normally TQs is on SP GT 2.0 ESC. The guy who wins the A Main is either on SPX or some other super high timing advanced esc. They are both equally skilled. But the added speed made the difference.

If we have to slow down these motors, we can always try sensorless stock right?
I'm curious, why didn't the guy with the advanced timing speedo TQ if he has that much extra speed? Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tjompa
Great thread!
Great thread for the owner of advanced electronic too.
I think its cool for a small Swedish manufactor to create an ESC that dominates totally.
This is VIKING power at it´s best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.