Wiki Posts
Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hallo.

What are your thoughts on shock oil brands, specifically Muchmore shock oil? Are CsT ratings among the brands universal? I am currently using 350 Xray oil and would like to find a more economical alternative.

Dank u wel.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Jilles-

I have a question about the new Lipo Chassis for the 416x. Are you guys using it to just make the lower weights in the class or does it provide different handling characteristics as well over the regular 416X?

Any chance Team Tamiya will be showing up in Vegas this year for IIC?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello Jilles,

I have a Question regarding weight distribution:
Can you give advice for front/ Rear distribution - is it better to locate it more front or rear or is it more useful to aim an equal weight distribution (meaning 50/50)

Thanks,
Oliver
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shqizy;
Hello Jilles,

I have a Question regarding weight distribution:
Can you give advice for front/ Rear distribution - is it better to locate it more front or rear or is it more useful to aim an equal weight distribution (meaning 50/50)

Thanks,
Oliver
Which chassis
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Senna Racing
Which chassis
A SMOKEM 416LP chassis - Left to right balance is already fine but I got about 60 gr. left to 1400.

I expected it's all the same with every 4WD chassis ...
so let me express my Question another way -

Where should the center of gravity be located ??

Of course I know:
- as low as possible
- left to right balanace as equal as possible (with best local left to right balance)

but what's about front to rear balance??
Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Can the Orion Vortex Pro motors handle 200 F (93 C) temps on a regular basis like the LRP X12 motors? Or will it cause the motor to fail rapidly?

What is an ideal temp after a 5 minute run?

Thanks Jilles
Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

- Marco
Set-up for 416WE is very similar to 416X. The WE has a little more steering because of the rear diff position. I'm sure my basic set-up will do fine. Maybe you stand-up the shocks one more hole to get it easier to drive. Thinks like tyres, tyre treatment are more important then car set-up most of the time.

- Ali
Will see Atsushi in one and half week at the Worlds. I recommend the blue o-rings for the shocks. I don't know the meaning of 30-40-50.

- STLNLST
Outdoors I prefer the HotBodies springs. Most of the time silver or blue.

- Dane
Every shock brand is different, sometimes you can have 100 - 200 different.
This is the reason all TRF driver use the same oil brand so we have always the same starting point regarding shock/oil set-up.

- Artwork
The standard 416X chassis is still very competitive. However last week test for the worlds the whole team tested the new Lipo chassis with much success. The Lipo chassis is ofcourse lighter but also more narrow which allow you can run softer as the car can roll more without touching the ground. Don't know about the IIC race yet.

- Oliver
It depends on how much steering you want to have. Like the WE had the battery more forward which gave a little less steering but very easy to drive. But I prefer all weight in the center line and the Lipo battery in the rear.

- Shaunmac
The Vortex can handle temp of over 100 degree celsius. The best temp after a 5min race should be around 90 degree celsius.

Jilles
Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Jilles,

How do you manage not getting groove inside your tire, I already set my camber to -1.

all the best.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Is there a site with the latest 416X setup sheets?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fred kellner
Is there a site with the latest 416X setup sheets?
Fred you got a 416x huh?

This is the site I use:

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...miyaTRF416.htm

It has team setups pulled from various different locations.

Also a good resource:

http://www.thard.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=20
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Jilles, helping a friend with his chassis. We are trying to create more overall flex in the chassis, and I understand there will be some slight setup adjustments to compensate, but what should I look for as far as if we get the chassis too soft or flexible? For example, will it be good in the technical section but have too much hi speed traction? Vice-versa? Will it become hard to tune or the opposite where it doesn't respond to tuning? Those are just examples of the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for the assistance. Good luck in Germany and keep the shiny side up!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good luck in the Worlds.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JGH
-Shaunmac
The Vortex can handle temp of over 100 degree celsius. The best temp after a 5min race should be around 90 degree celsius.

Jilles
Thanks for the information Jilles.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

hey jilles between heats do you have a specific routine were you check ride height, droop or other settings or do you just leave the car as is unless you change something in the setup?

thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

- cheehtae
Some tyres/inserts have this problem more then others. There is not much you can do about this. Sometimes it's good to have some grooves, this means you have traction!

- Bigdogracing
Normally a softer chassis is more forgiving when you drive your car. It drives more easy. Set-up changes are more difficult to feel with a soft chassis. A stiffer chassis should be faster, especially in a highspeed section, but a stiffer chassis requires also more tuning and also is more sensitive for different track temps. Start with the topdeck, cut a sleeve in the topdeck and you will notice the differents.

- Bigdogracing,rccartips,
Thanks! Will do my best next week!

- Shaunmac
Thanks! No problem!

- AZ416
At a event and the car is running fine, I normally clean the car and prep. the tyres and leave it till the next heat. Sometimes I check the ride height again. For the next day I always re-check camber, droop, ride heigth and chassis screws.

Jilles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.