R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-13-2004, 11:32 AM   #5506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The pulley wobble in the rear (on a diff) is acceptable as the pulley is designed to wobble a small amount on the diff balls. The belt center's the pulley. Just like on a ball diff axle for pan cars. Without the pinion the spur gear wobbles. Once you put the pinion on it centers itself.

I would think that a gear wobbling on a layshaft is a problem and gear adaptor is a problem. There is no way for the gear to center itself. If the wibble is significant enough, you will fell a high spot. You can't tell this on an electric chassis cause the pinion gear does not free spin. (with a clutch system, fuel on-road, you can ratate the tires backwards and feel the gear mesh...God I Miss my MRX-4)

Place the gear on flat surface, glass and see if there are relatively flat. Keep in mind that nothings perfect.. If the gear is flat then it should be flat on the layshaft. If its not that the bolt pattern is warping the gear. Just ream out thole and problems solved.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #5507
Tech Elite

Is there a spell check on this system. My typing sucks.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #5508
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Got some pics of my MS, just waiting for my VFS-1 Pro to arrive today and it'll be ready to rock tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1841.jpg (98.9 KB, 1457 views)
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #5509
Tech Prophet

Aint she pretty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1842.jpg (96.4 KB, 1261 views)
Old 12-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #5510
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

looks killer. big change from your xxx-s?

Last edited by NVisible; 12-13-2004 at 12:16 PM.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:33 PM   #5511
Tech Prophet

I'll know how it drives tomorrow, hopefully similar to the XXXS..
Old 12-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #5512
Tech Regular

Wow, that is a nice 415, that is completly different to your xxxs

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #5513
Tech Elite

Randy, what servo horn is that? I'm still using the Tamiya servo savor which seems to work fine. Are your using a full metal servo?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #5514
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

randy,

i just want to see what hte difference is. I heard a lot of good stuff about ceramics, reducing rotating mass and such. But i want to buy a set of bearings, and not go thru all the measurements and stuff myself. so if anyone can offer a website that has a set of trf415ms quality ceramic bearings for sale, that'd be nice.

and ur new born trf415ms is the cutest thing. that aluminum servo horn looks cool, where'd u get it? does it get rid of the slack that the tamiya horn has sometimes?
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:16 PM   #5515
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

also, on the tamiya website, it said this:
"New rear bulkhead features heat sink capabilities. "

what does that mean? does that mean u can attach a clipon heat sink like the shaft cars can? or does it just mean the bulkhead now acts as a heatsink?
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #5516
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by rcnewb2004
randy,

i just want to see what hte difference is. I heard a lot of good stuff about ceramics, reducing rotating mass and such. But i want to buy a set of bearings, and not go thru all the measurements and stuff myself. so if anyone can offer a website that has a set of trf415ms quality ceramic bearings for sale, that'd be nice.

and ur new born trf415ms is the cutest thing. that aluminum servo horn looks cool, where'd u get it? does it get rid of the slack that the tamiya horn has sometimes?
Order you set from Acer. Here's the link:
http://www.acerracing.com/

All the bearings are the same size (415 and 415MS) with the exception of the bearings in the hubbs. call Acer and tell them the size of the bearings you need for the hubs and they will swap them out as I don not think Acer has a set directly for the MS.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:39 PM   #5517
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
also, on the tamiya website, it said this:
"New rear bulkhead features heat sink capabilities. "

what does that mean? does that mean u can attach a clipon heat sink like the shaft cars can? or does it just mean the bulkhead now acts as a heatsink?
This means the rear bulkhead has fins machined into it so the bulkhead, itself, acts as the heat sink.
The only issue is the the MS does not actually come with this part as the description states...or at least the people I know who have the kit didn't get the heatsink bulkhead.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 PM   #5518
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Blakesrc

Carl G.,

I used the short button head screws from my yokomo sd kit to put the pulley on my spool and they worked perfectly. I think they were the screws that held the spur gear in place on my yok fyi. It looks like all the yokomo button heads are smaller than most.

Randy,

Looks good dude. Deffinetly let us know how it goes on Tuesday night, i might be in the area and make it to race on the tuesday evening after christmas.

Good Luck,

Blake
Blakesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 PM   #5519
Tech Master

Quote:
randy,

Ceramic balls are not plain ceramic, they are mild steel balls with a ceramic coating (I'm simplifying things, please do not flame). I have a set of ceramic balls in my TRF 414's diff and these diffs are just the smoothest i'e ever had (although it's not only the fact that they are ceramic, but also that they are selected for their roundness and they all are equal diameters, etc...). I've also got a set of ceramic bearings in it, and same thing, they're really sweet, they last long and require less maintenance.

Now, they won't give you anymore runtime than the stock bearings if you keep them in good condition. Also, keep in mind that on the MS (with evo 4 suspension) the wheel bearings don't last a lot of time, and this will be true for ceramic bearings aswell, even if they may prove to last longer than the stock bearings.

My advice is : get a 415 if you want and run it box stock, then when time comes to change the bearings or ball diffs, maybe you can consider ceramic ones. I found Acer Racing's stuff to be excellent for a good price.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #5520
Tech Regular

Randy, did you trim the foam bumper (fender) or is that a different part?
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote