R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 PM   #5491
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by razzo
minus front spool, custom made sway bars, HPI springs, Ti screws... I'm sure there is more. If you get the MS, then WCPS, you'll have pretty hop'd up 415

Tamiya should just release an EXACT copy, then # it like last WC car. Even if it was $600, I bet they sell ALL of them.
Tamiya should just release an exact copy of the 415 that Marc used at the worlds and stop making things so complicated even if it is $600 like razzo stated
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:25 PM   #5492
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I'm sure Marc is running more trick stuff than what you guys can see in the pic too. Ceramic diff balls, ceramic bearings, and everything else that factory guys get that we cant
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:03 AM   #5493
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

does the trf415ms use the same bearings (same size) bearings as the trf415?

if i wanted to order a set of ceramics for the trf415ms any suggestions? i don't know how to determine the size of my bearings... there's like a AxBxC but I have no idea what "A" "B" "C" stand for...

sorry i am a newb, and i know this car is way out of my league... but i am sorta sick of my plastic TL01 that costs me the price of a TRF415 to upgrade
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:21 AM   #5494
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default square hubs

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Caster
I guess thats why I dont have a part # already

Will the Square hubs for the Evo 4 fit?
Randy, I dont think the Square hubs are o degree though. I think they are 1 degree toe in? Anyone have any info on that . I f they are 0 degree that would be a good thing. Maybe Steve, at speedtech?
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:37 AM   #5495
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Raul Garcia
Randy, I dont think the Square hubs are o degree though. I think they are 1 degree toe in? Anyone have any info on that . I f they are 0 degree that would be a good thing. Maybe Steve, at speedtech?
The Square hubs for the LW suspension have 1.5 deg. of toe-in. The part# is STV-42.

Quote:
Originally posted by rcnewb2004
The TRF415MS uses the same bearings except for the wheel bearings. The MS uses 9x5mm wheel bearings.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #5496
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Steve: I purchased the speedtech spoll and have a question. My spool required 3mm screws. You had mentioned that the sppol uses the same screws as the one-way, which are 2.6mm. No big deal, but I noticed that when I use 3mm button head screws, that do not collapse fully against the pulley as the botten of the button head hits the spool flange that the pulley sits on.

As a result, the pulley wobbles.

I guess the button head screws I was using were too wide. What screws do you recommend? I was using 3x6mm and they were also too long. Do you sell 3x4mm screws that would cure this problem?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 08:01 AM   #5497
Tech Elite

Ran the spool set-up for the first time this weekend on carpet with foams. (I was using the dual one-ways before.) STOCK 27T.

Still need to do some more testing to determine which is faster. They changed the track layout so determining if I was going faster with the spool was difficult.

I will say that the spool allows you to drive the car more agressively and requires a completely different suspension set-up. Definately go with a spool in modified. STOCK 27t still to be determined.

All I changed was the spool and fixed laysahft from the due one-way and I noticed the suspension needed to be tighten. With dual one-ways in STOCK I usually run Tamiya Purple fr springs and Gray rears. 22.7 and 20.9 lbs respectively. With a spool the car is driven into the corner harder but I notice on the high speed 180's the rear of the car would break loose. Will switch to AE springs as they are harder. Hope this helps.

In summary, still not totally sold on the spool from stock carpet racing. But I will continue working with it.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #5498
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default spur gear wobbles

I'm using a thin spur gear, when I rotate the drive train it wobbles pretty bad, I think its a RW racing gear, when I put back on the thick stock or kimbrough it doesn't happen, I ppent 20$ bucks for 3 gear how can make them work
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 AM   #5499
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by rcnewb2004

if i wanted to order a set of ceramics for the trf415ms any suggestions? i don't know how to determine the size of my bearings... there's like a AxBxC but I have no idea what "A" "B" "C" stand for...

sorry i am a newb, and i know this car is way out of my league... but i am sorta sick of my plastic TL01 that costs me the price of a TRF415 to upgrade
Just wondering, why do you feel the need for ceramic bearings as a newbie? I run all modified classes and have the stock bearings in the car still..
Old 12-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #5500
Tech Prophet

Default Re: spur gear wobbles

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
I'm using a thin spur gear, when I rotate the drive train it wobbles pretty bad, I think its a RW racing gear, when I put back on the thick stock or kimbrough it doesn't happen, I ppent 20$ bucks for 3 gear how can make them work
Just like EA recommended to me a week or so ago, I'm gonna recommend the PRS gears to you. They are the most true, most round gears I've seen...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #5501
Tech Elite

You may need to wide the holes on the spur gears to line-up with the Tamiya bolt pattern. Tamiya uses its own pitch gears and the bolt pattern or spacing on the does not match perfectly with diff ball holes from some manufactures.

I used the white xenon gears and found this to be the problem. Its a simple fix, just ream out the diff ball holes that line-up with the Tamiya gear holder and your problem is solved.

The reason the thin gears wobble compared to the thicker gears is they twist easier.

Reaming out the holes does not affect the centering of the gear as the gear is centered on the flanged portion of the gear holder. Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #5502
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by kentech
The Square hubs for the LW suspension have 1.5 deg. of toe-in. The part# is STV-42.
eek, didnt realize that, I'll just wait for the Tamiya ones to come out. I do want that Square bumper brace though.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:56 AM   #5503
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

For the front diff do you have to use Yokomo parts or can one be made out of the rear diff parts from the Tamiya car?
rraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:16 AM   #5504
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: spur gear wobbles

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
Just run it...as long as it does not wobble when you are looking at it from the side view of the chassis. ALL of my spurs wobble when viewed from the top. As long as the pinion meshes correctly I don't worry about it and I rarely have any problems with Speedtech, RW's or Xenon's spurs.

In regards to the Carl's post about the Speedtech spool: The Evo3/4 spools use the 2.6mm screw. The 415 spools utilize a 3mm screw. 3mm screws are easier to find in your parts box than 2.6mm screws and you can use Ti As for lengths and wobble, don't worry too much about a little pulley wobble and don't worry about the screw lengths. Heck even the rear diff may have a wobble. A few Ti 3x6mm with a touch of loctite is fine and that's what I use in my car. Once, I had to use 3x8's and it looked hoopty but I didn't have any 3x6's at that time.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #5505
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by rraden
For the front diff do you have to use Yokomo parts or can one be made out of the rear diff parts from the Tamiya car?
It uses mostly Yokomo parts. Check back a page or so for part #'s needed.