Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey all. Quick question. I've read that you need to grind down the Tamiya F104 "rubber" wheels to properly fit Pit tires. Does that include the inner and outer ridge so the wheel is basically "smooth"? Any pictures would be helpful too.

These are the wheel type I have:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tami...vidX_VRLDQPwM:
Old 04-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Atjays
Hey all. Quick question. I've read that you need to grind down the Tamiya F104 "rubber" wheels to properly fit Pit tires. Does that include the inner and outer ridge so the wheel is basically "smooth"? Any pictures would be helpful too.

Those are the wrong wheels to mount Pit Tires, you need the foam rims
Old 04-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Those are the wrong wheels to mount Pit Tires, you need the foam rims
Really?? I've heard these can be made to work. If not I have four sets of wheels I can't use
Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Really?? I've heard these can be made to work. If not I have four sets of wheels I can't use

To use the rubber tire wheels you would need to completly remove all the ribs on the rims so they are completly smooth and still round. It can be done but its more work than its worth.

Mark
Old 04-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mtveten
To use the rubber tire wheels you would need to completly remove all the ribs on the rims so they are completly smooth and still round. It can be done but its more work than its worth.

Mark
Thanks that's what I thought. I guess I'll grab the dremel and see how tedious it is before waiting 2 weeks on new wheels.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Actually, you only need to remove the OUTER ribs on the Tamiya wheels to mount the Pit Shimizu/TCS tires. If you leave the INNER ribs, it will give the inner bead some support and help you accurately locate the tire on the rim.

A pair of TOENAIL clippers actually has almost the exact radius of the wheels and will make short work of removing the outer ribs. Then if you want, you can clean it up with an emery board.

The TQRC site shows it as well here: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...w.asp?p_id=824.

Scroll down and look at the pics.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by svturtle
Does anyone have info info on the following Ride tyres
#26040: GR F-1 fronts
#26041: GR-X F-1 fronts
#26042: GR F-1 rears

The Ride site has them as high grip tyres so does this mean they are pretty much same as the 26030 and 26031 preglued?

I was racing on the weekend and was swapping between the 26030/26031 Rides and Pits. Frustrating having to adjust ride height for every change of brand.

Hoping these are a grippier version of original Rides which will make swapping tyres a much easier process.
I just bought a set of 26040 and 26042 and hopefully test them out this weekend. My initial finger squishing test tells me they are a harder compound to the Pit Shumizu 571/572 combo and very similar to the previous XR tires. The wheels however SEEM to be a of much better quality and should take a couple of hits unlike the XR.

Im not sure why these tires companies are either so lazy in writing some marketing spiel on how much better their latest and greatest are, or so secretive on their tire technology and just basically telling us to shut up and use it.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Actually, you only need to remove the OUTER ribs on the Tamiya wheels to mount the Pit Shimizu/TCS tires. If you leave the INNER ribs, it will give the inner bead some support and help you accurately locate the tire on the rim.

A pair of TOENAIL clippers actually has almost the exact radius of the wheels and will make short work of removing the outer ribs. Then if you want, you can clean it up with an emery board.

The TQRC site shows it as well here: https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...w.asp?p_id=824.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for the link!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14

Good luck!
Scirocco has the correct. If you have an arbor you can also knock the outer rib off on a truer.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999
I just bought a set of 26040 and 26042 and hopefully test them out this weekend. My initial finger squishing test tells me they are a harder compound to the Pit Shumizu 571/572 combo and very similar to the previous XR tires. The wheels however SEEM to be a of much better quality and should take a couple of hits unlike the XR.

Im not sure why these tires companies are either so lazy in writing some marketing spiel on how much better their latest and greatest are, or so secretive on their tire technology and just basically telling us to shut up and use it.
With all these tire choices, why even bother with spec tires ??? I have so many unused tc spec tires it's scary... Hopefully it will not be the same for F1...
Old 04-25-2017, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999

Cheers mate, actually just received an email back from Ride.
You're right in regards to the 26040 and 26042 being pretty much the same as the old XR's or just a tad softer for the rear. Might be the newer flexible rim helping with that though. The 26041(GR-X) are supposed to be a little bit firmer than the XR though.

Think I will use the 26040/26042 as my replacements for the XR's and still use the Pits for cooler days.

Yes! a bit more clearer description wouldn't go astray.
Yorick likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:35 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
With all these tire choices, why even bother with spec tires ??? I have so many unused tc spec tires it's scary... Hopefully it will not be the same for F1...
Eh, I like to try new things, esp F1 tires for some reason. If they dont work out at least the yellow sidewall sticker would match my paint job.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

I had some trouble I couldn't explain, until I opened my diff. The ceramic was were damaged, there was a lot if dirt in there. Our circuit is next to the off road track at our club, it's always dirty. So, I messed about a bit with FreeCAD and the 3D printer at our office:

It's not perfect, yet, it's too close to the side movement damper, but it's a start...

Cheers,

Hugo
Leester and texastc like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HugoW
I had some trouble I couldn't explain, until I opened my diff. The ceramic was were damaged, there was a lot if dirt in there. Our circuit is next to the off road track at our club, it's always dirty. So, I messed about a bit with FreeCAD and the 3D printer at our office:

It's not perfect, yet, it's too close to the side movement damper, but it's a start...

Cheers,

Hugo
Nice Job Hugo,
Now combine your previous project with this one and make it ultra lightweight, and fit any f1.
Go for a Clamp shell design made of lexan, and you have a winner

Lighter and thinner, even sellable...
Old 04-26-2017, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Did I mention more subtle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.