Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2910Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
By that same logic, you could just run a cheapo 25.5 and be fine. Since it hardly makes a difference.

You're already running a spec 21.5 class, letting the rules evolve to 25.5 isn't any different. Keep the 21.5 handy and rebuilt for other tracks.
Not exactly. To be competitive at the big events, you'll need a strong 25.5 motor. The F1's seem to be power limited w/ the 25.5 motors, whereas the 21.5 cars are traction limited (ever so slightly). So more power in a 21.5 doesn't really help. A better, stronger 25.5 motor will be faster in an F1 than a 'run of the mill' 25.5.

I'm of the opinion that except for novice classes, all racecars (full scale or RC) should be traction limited. E.g. the car should have just a little more power than it needs. It's a RACECAR, right? Puts driving skill at the forefront, not the wallets. It's an illusion that 'powering down' for the sake of parity is cheaper. It's been my experience in 40+ years of racing that 'spec racing' is more expensive because the cost of additional gains become exponentially more expensive. This is true in formula classes like Formula Vees and Formula Fords in full scale, and is true in RC spec classes.

When the time comes, I'll join the lemmings and pony up for a Motiv 25.5.

Mark
Old 06-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default ROAR 25.5...how about 21.5, & 17.5

Originally Posted by sg1
Yes there is

Taking the same motor and going from a 19.3mm stack length to a 19.8mm (ROAR minimum for 25.5) stack length is like taking about 3/4 of turn off. The resistance will be approx. 1 milliohm less per pole.

ROAR does have a good rule set in place for 25.5 motors, a 2 pole resistance is also called out.

Here's the rules:

ROAR Spec 25.5 motor: Only three slot "Y" wound stators are permitted. No delta wound or slot less stators are allowed. Only circular (round) pure copper magnet wire permitted. The three slotted stator must be wound with 25.5 turns of two strands of wire with a maximum diameter of .643mm per slot. The minimum resistance between any 2 phases of the motor (AB, AC, BC), when measured at 25C with an Instek GOM 802 milliohm meter, will be no less than 101 milliohms. The stator stack length must be a minimum of 19.7mm and a maximum of 21.0mm. Only 12.3 mm diameter rotors will be permitted in 25.5 Spec motors and the diameter must measure 12.30 +/-.05 mm. The rotor magnet length must be between a minimum of 25.0mm and a maximum of 26.0mm, not including any balancing material."
Thanks for posting the ROAR rules fore 25.5 motors. Can you provide the rules for 21.5 and 17.5? or post a link to those rules.
Thanks!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

They can be found on the ROAR website
Old 06-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NutDriver
And force us to buy another motor, faster or not. It seems that we are causing additions expenses for those already running F1 FOR THE CHANCE of bringing in new competitors.
That's the enigma. 25.5 seems to be bringing more new racers in.

Us experienced racers are going to buy motors anyways. I buy one or two every year regardless of whether or not rules get changed.

I have no real opinion one way or the other. I have both motors in my tool box. I'd also rather have plenty of power and a traction limited car, but we already have plenty of fast classes. Nothing wrong with a fun beginner class, as long as it doesn't get split.

Which, even if F1 isn't just a beginner class, it's definitely a more laid back fun class than 12th or TC. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NutDriver
They can be found on the ROAR website
This is what I found in the rule book.

"8.5.4.3.4 ROAR Spec 21.5 motor: Only three slot “Y” wound stators are permitted. No delta wound or slot less stators are allowed. Only circular (round) pure copper magnet wire permitted. The three slotted stator must be wound with 21.5 turns of two strands of a maximum diameter of 21AWG or 0.0724mm per slot. The resistance for each slot of the stator shall be tested and a minimum resistance figure will be determined upon submittal."

I am looking for something specific like what was listed for the 25.5 rules like this:

"The minimum resistance between any 2 phases of the motor (AB, AC, BC), when measured at 25C with an Instek GOM 802 milliohm meter, will be no less than 101 milliohms."
Old 06-03-2016, 10:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

All our current F1 racers decided they would dump F1 and go mini or LMP if we went 25.5 for F1.

So

At SOME places, it is bringing in more racers.

Maybe Novice F1 25.5, expert F1 21,5

Also all this 'oh 25.5 os faster or within .2 secs' makes the $$ to swap to 25.5 even less appealing, if it's the same speed, no point...
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Actually equalled my quickest 21.5 times at Tamiya track with a 25.5 motor.

So, same driver, different motors = times.

Musta made up time somewhere cuz it was not on the straight
Hi Cuda man! We know your car is strapped but that short stack R1 25.5 may have helped a bit with those laps I need one of those too!
Old 06-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [RC10TC]
This is what I found in the rule book.

"8.5.4.3.4 ROAR Spec 21.5 motor: Only three slot “Y” wound stators are permitted. No delta wound or slot less stators are allowed. Only circular (round) pure copper magnet wire permitted. The three slotted stator must be wound with 21.5 turns of two strands of a maximum diameter of 21AWG or 0.0724mm per slot. The resistance for each slot of the stator shall be tested and a minimum resistance figure will be determined upon submittal."

I am looking for something specific like what was listed for the 25.5 rules like this:

"The minimum resistance between any 2 phases of the motor (AB, AC, BC), when measured at 25C with an Instek GOM 802 milliohm meter, will be no less than 101 milliohms."
The 25.5 motor is the first and only motor to have a stated resistance. There was a desire to tighten the rules for this motor, as this wind's motor rules was originally intended only for VTA. The intent was to keep all motors of this classification as close as possible, and similar to what had been available for 7+ years. We know the other spec winds have a constant influx of new designs.

Due to the wider window within the rules, the other winds do not have a resistance standard established, and to do so at this late date would be pretty arbitrary. As such, ROAR does not give out resistance information.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL
All our current F1 racers decided they would dump F1 and go mini or LMP if we went 25.5 for F1.

So

At SOME places, it is bringing in more racers.

Maybe Novice F1 25.5, expert F1 21,5

Also all this 'oh 25.5 os faster or within .2 secs' makes the $$ to swap to 25.5 even less appealing, if it's the same speed, no point...
What that information tells me is that most people are not getting all the power down, even expert drivers. That is why the speed is so close.

As it has been noted before, you are having a great turn out and your rules work for your group, which is fantastic. This is not the case everywhere, and the motor swap has produced increased participation in many places where F1 was trending down. You gotta do you, and if it works, keep it up.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robk
The 25.5 motor is the first and only motor to have a stated resistance. There was a desire to tighten the rules for this motor, as this wind's motor rules was originally intended only for VTA. The intent was to keep all motors of this classification as close as possible, and similar to what had been available for 7+ years. We know the other spec winds have a constant influx of new designs.

Due to the wider window within the rules, the other winds do not have a resistance standard established, and to do so at this late date would be pretty arbitrary. As such, ROAR does not give out resistance information.
ok, so what is being done at races to tech 21.5 and 17.5 motors then?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by [RC10TC]
ok, so what is being done at races to tech 21.5 and 17.5 motors then?
I guess you want resistance numbers for the other motors? How can you hold a motor to a standard when there is not one established?
Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14
I'm of the opinion that except for novice classes, all racecars (full scale or RC) should be traction limited. E.g. the car should have just a little more power than it needs. It's a RACECAR, right? Puts driving skill at the forefront, not the wallets. It's an illusion that 'powering down' for the sake of parity is cheaper. It's been my experience in 40+ years of racing that 'spec racing' is more expensive because the cost of additional gains become exponentially more expensive. This is true in formula classes like Formula Vees and Formula Fords in full scale, and is true in RC spec classes.
Mark
+1 on this.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Hi Cuda man! We know your car is strapped but that short stack R1 25.5 may have helped a bit with those laps I need one of those too!
Hi Mike,
I gotta say that R1wurks motor I ran was no where near the fastest thing on the track, I was getting killed in drag races down the straight by many of the other A main guys, including you I thought.

Hohwart's car absolutely had me covered. Reedy motor, safe to say

No idea what other motors guys were running but I'm almost positive none were from ROAR's short list.

I put the R1 in cuz I had it but the Reedy I had to buy for TCS wasn't noticeably slower and neither were those lap times.
It was definitely MUCH newer though, Reedy had 10 or so runs on it, total.
I got it Friday nite, practiced Saturday a few runs and raced it at Sunday's Regionals then back in the box it went.

R1 motor had both Saturday asphalt runs and the full Tuning Haus series (UF1 style triple 15 minute mains, yeh man!) on carpet plus practice days in between. It got punished, heated up and run again and again.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that Tamiya's track isn't tiny, the racing stayed as competitive as it had been, if not more so and I felt that the slightly easier to drive cars may have even kept it together better overall leading to the similar lap times.

Pretty sure the R1 motors are available if you want one since he's on it full time now.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

tamiya trf102 anyone have issues with the rear pod tweaking at the t plate hinge mount after a hit?
i did. had to loosen the screws and retighten. happened twice. 1.8mm t plate.
other than that car was great
Old 06-06-2016, 03:58 AM
Tech Adept

Not my work, but most definitely worth posting here since it's beautiful.
The RB12 with Max Verstappen, made by M. Sakko with a decal sheet from The-Border. The car is a Tamiya TRF102, painted with PS-59, backing PS-5 and matte finish with PS-55.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.