Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2928Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 PM
  #14476  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Default MP4/13

Hi all,

Currently in the market for an original Tamiya MP4/13 F103RS that's already been painted. Does anyone (or know of someone who does) have a car that they'd be willing to part ways with for the right amount of money. I've been looking all over for one, turns out they're harder to find than one might think!

Cheers.
Chris_McLarenF1 is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 05:15 AM
  #14477  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Chris_McLarenF1
Hi all,

Currently in the market for an original Tamiya MP4/13 F103RS that's already been painted. Does anyone (or know of someone who does) have a car that they'd be willing to part ways with for the right amount of money. I've been looking all over for one, turns out they're harder to find than one might think!

Cheers.
I have all of the pieces to build a brand new MP4/13 right down to the wheels and tires. Body could be painted either stick, or with West markings. Message me and we can figure out a price.
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 11:33 AM
  #14478  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,269
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dman18t
Currently shopping myself and looked at all these cars in person. Even drove a few. Don't overlook the associated F6, as good as any of those on your list. Answer 2 questions to yourself :1, local parts support? Pick chassis from your list that has local parts support. :2, budget? All of these cars perform equally good +/- . Best bang for buck is Roche, toughest and most expensive is x-ray. I would go x-ray if budget wasn't a concern, there fore I am between associated F6. & Roche. Just have to pull the trigger. Good luck.
I wouldnít overlook the Tamiya TRF103,
f1larry is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 03:59 PM
  #14479  
Tech Master
iTrader: (44)
 
egalsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV Bowdoin, Maine
Posts: 1,096
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bigtee01
Looking at getting a F1 car looking at
Roche f1 evo usa spec
Xray
Infinity
Vbc
Crc
need a few opinions on whats the better car
Roche f1 - probably the coolest looking chassis of this group, with a wicked looking aluminum chassis option, however parts availability may be an issue depending on where you run it.
Xray - Looks to have great parts support and parts are pretty much upgradeable from the 2016 x1 on up to the 2019. (I have a 2017 X1). Currently the only chassis with a "factory" optional gear differential (Apparently black carpet cars like the gear diffs)
Infinity - Have no clue
Vbc - Have no clue
CrC - CRC been dealing with pan cars for over 20 years, I'm sure this car will have lots of engineering on it, but parts may be an issue depending on where you run it.
Exotek F1R3 - basically a chassis kit for the Tamiya F104/103, Front and rear end will have parts support if Tamiya is supported at your shop, however, chassis pieces will come from Exotek, VERY HIGH QUALITY. This car also has the option of a IFS front end.
Associated RC10F6 - Will have the most parts support, car looks to be almost a clone of the Xray 2017 X1. Hearing good things about this car.
Serpent SF4 - looks to be the most innovative chassis of all of them, however, parts support may be an issue.

If you are running on black carpet, probably want to get a car that has an aluminum chassis option.
egalsim is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 04:04 PM
  #14480  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW

I have all of the pieces to build a brand new MP4/13 right down to the wheels and tires. Body could be painted either stick, or with West markings. Message me and we can figure out a price.
Just PMd you.
Chris_McLarenF1 is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 04:42 PM
  #14481  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,269
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by egalsim
Roche f1 - probably the coolest looking chassis of this group, with a wicked looking aluminum chassis option, however parts availability may be an issue depending on where you run it.
Xray - Looks to have great parts support and parts are pretty much upgradeable from the 2016 x1 on up to the 2019. (I have a 2017 X1). Currently the only chassis with a "factory" optional gear differential (Apparently black carpet cars like the gear diffs)
Infinity - Have no clue
Vbc - Have no clue
CrC - CRC been dealing with pan cars for over 20 years, I'm sure this car will have lots of engineering on it, but parts may be an issue depending on where you run it.
Exotek F1R3 - basically a chassis kit for the Tamiya F104/103, Front and rear end will have parts support if Tamiya is supported at your shop, however, chassis pieces will come from Exotek, VERY HIGH QUALITY. This car also has the option of a IFS front end.
Associated RC10F6 - Will have the most parts support, car looks to be almost a clone of the Xray 2017 X1. Hearing good things about this car.
Serpent SF4 - looks to be the most innovative chassis of all of them, however, parts support may be an issue.

If you are running on black carpet, probably want to get a car that has an aluminum chassis option.
the new Tamiya TRF103 is worth looking into.
F N CUDA likes this.
f1larry is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 08:05 AM
  #14482  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by f1larry

the new Tamiya TRF103 is worth looking into.
TRF 103 is amazing on both asphalt and carpet
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 01-01-2019, 06:10 PM
  #14483  
Tech Master
iTrader: (44)
 
egalsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV Bowdoin, Maine
Posts: 1,096
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default


Associated RC10F6
egalsim is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 03:48 PM
  #14484  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 506
Default Gear diff

I am seeing people recco.end the gear diff for high grip carpet. This makes no sense to me. Sure, gear diff is easier to get right than a ball diff (granted) but this would only matter in low grip. High grip carpet , I lock my ball diff and it has no weight penalty that a gear diff has. Am I missing something here? Seems like people are getting on the band wagon without really thinking about the outcome. I could be totally wrong but a gear diff for high grip is a waste of money.
dman18t is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 03:59 PM
  #14485  
Tech Regular
 
GT CRUSING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California
Posts: 389
Default

Originally Posted by dman18t
I am seeing people recco.end the gear diff for high grip carpet. This makes no sense to me. Sure, gear diff is easier to get right than a ball diff (granted) but this would only matter in low grip. High grip carpet , I lock my ball diff and it has no weight penalty that a gear diff has. Am I missing something here? Seems like people are getting on the band wagon without really thinking about the outcome. I could be totally wrong but a gear diff for high grip is a waste of money.
It may sound counter intiutive, but I have seen several races lost by having the locked diff break or fail by a small collision. The diff is pretty robust and you can have it filled with a pretty high k value so it can have the effects of a locked diff off corner and the safety of not breaking it with a crash as the wheels can still rotate
GT CRUSING is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 06:16 PM
  #14486  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (76)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,377
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

The Xray gear diff is pretty light, I think not far off from the normal ball diff. The Fenix diff on the other hand.....
Dan is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 PM
  #14487  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 506
Default

I have never had a ball diff cost me a race. I understand the gear diff can be filled with 1000 at all the way to 2 million to get different variations of diff action but a ball diff or a locker can also do that and much cheaper. The only real advantage a gear diff has that I can see is it will not slip (unlike a poorly built/maintained ball diff can). But this would only be an issue in low grip. High grip, just tighten the ball diff =no slip. Not believing the hype.
dman18t is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 PM
  #14488  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
lorider75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lloydminster, Sk
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I havenít done a back to back test between gear diff and ball diff but, Iím a huge fan of the gear diff. Consistency is my favourite part. I donít have to adjust a diff until itís right after every rebuild. I know what 5k feels like. I know what 20k feels like. Itís a 100% repeatable diff.
lorider75 is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 09:46 PM
  #14489  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 506
Default

Repeatability does make sense. That can be challenging with a ball diff but definitely easier with gear diff. Back to back testing required I think.
dman18t is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 PM
  #14490  
Tech Regular
 
GT CRUSING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: California
Posts: 389
Default

Plus, almost the whole grid at my local track has made the switch to gear diffs on a high bite carpet track. All the front runners have it, so the weight issue is nonexistant
GT CRUSING is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.