R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #3211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
I'm very interested I will ask brian I think his dad has one. Are you going to make it at the Visalia Car Show Race this weekend it should be a blast.
I'll see if I can get one or two cut for the car show race. Of not, the Reedy race.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #3212
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Rick,

What class are you running at the REEDY RACE? I signed up for the open MOD.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #3213
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
I'm planning on it.

you know I was thinking about the front wheel vibration issue you wrote about and my E4 does the same thing. There is some weird oscillation that is induced by the universals and having the wheels mounted magnifies the vibration. I tried it with wheels and tires, with just bare wheels, thinking it was a balance issue (it's not) and without any wheels mounted. the problem does not appear to be a mechanical interference but just a vibration that gets worse with something mounted larger than the hub.
This is a real problem as I have noticed that the car sometimes spins out under acceleration and I can hear a distinct "rattle" sound as it starts to loose grip. I think the sound I hear is actually from this vibration and not a belt skipping or the rear diff slipping. If anybody has found a solution to this oscillation, please share your findings. I will do the same.
I had the same problem. It in fact broke the alm. dog bones after a half of a pack. What I did was align the outdrives on the spool, I had them offset 90deg. after I put them in line No more chatter. Also i put the k-factory steel drive shafts. Also check the rear diff for "rattle" I had mine just a tab loose and I got the same noise.
gearhead1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #3214
Tech Master

Quote:
Rick,

What class are you running at the REEDY RACE? I signed up for the open MOD.
I plan to run 13.5.
Still need to get signed up though.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #3215
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1962 View Post
I had the same problem. It in fact broke the alm. dog bones after a half of a pack. What I did was align the outdrives on the spool, I had them offset 90deg. after I put them in line No more chatter. Also i put the k-factory steel drive shafts. Also check the rear diff for "rattle" I had mine just a tab loose and I got the same noise.
Thanks,
I thought of those things but I should probably take a second look.
I may make some delrin outdrives and see if it damps the vibration.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #3216
Tech Elite

Quote:
Where did you get the spool offset?

Rick,

signup now before it's too late their will be 5 of us going at the REEDY RACE.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #3217
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks,
I thought of those things but I should probably take a second look.
I may make some delrin outdrives and see if it damps the vibration.
It will help the front dogbone last longer too all that chattering when cornering I think that makes the dogbone to snap. Last race the dog bone just snap on me on the high speed sweeper..

Last edited by Jochim_18; 05-10-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #3218
Tech Master

Quote:

Rick,

He means that the out drives can be pinned at 90 degrees or in-line from the spool.

I'd like to sign up now but have to wait till I get paid on Friday. $90 entry is pretty steep.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #3219
Tech Master

Quote:
It will help the front dogbone last longer too all that chattering when cornering I think that makes the dogbone to snap. Last race the dog bone just snap on me on the high speed sweeper..
Agreed!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #3220
Tech Elite

Quote:
He means that the out drives can be pinned at 90 degrees or in-line from the spool.

I'd like to sign up now but have to wait till I get paid on Friday. $90 entry is pretty steep.
It will be an awesome race guaranteed.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #3221
Tech Adept

Quote:

Rick,

Sorry maybe offset was the wrong word. Angle maybe??
You just change the position of the pin on the outdrive, so that both outdrives are in line. Dont have one 90deg. off.
like so
http://www.gshobby.com/images/HBS/HBS61375-450.jpg
not like
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/pro.../HB61045_1.jpg
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #3222
Tech Elite

I'm a little confused it will not change the angle of the dogbone by changing the allignment of the outdrives. But I will try it.

Quote:
Sorry maybe offset was the wrong word. Angle maybe??
You just change the position of the pin on the outdrive, so that both outdrives are in line. Dont have one 90deg. off.
like so
http://www.gshobby.com/images/HBS/HBS61375-450.jpg
not like
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/pro.../HB61045_1.jpg

Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #3223
Tech Adept

Quote:
I'm a little confused it will not change the angle of the dogbone by changing the allignment of the outdrives. But I will try it.
Sorry I didnt mean the angle of the dogbone I meant the position of the out drive. Dont ask me why this worked but it git rid of that chatter. Weight balance maybe???
What kind of set up are you gonna be running at the reedy race. I ask cuz that is my home track and have been toying around with diffrent setups just trying to play some jazz to see what i come up with.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #3224
Tech Apprentice

We have performed a lot of testing in regards to the vibration. This is a resonance problem and there are actually several resons for it. The first is if the dogbones are out of phase. If this happens the resonance starts at a shallow steering angle. The second cause is the fact that the E4 has roughly 15 degrees more steering throw than any other touring car. It is possible to go beyond the ability of the universal to function. The fix there is cut back on the steering servo travel. When I set up a new car I look straight down from the top. When the arm on the front hub is even with the end of the sway bar that is where I set 100%. If that is not clear then just look at your car and work the steering. You'll see what I mean. The third cause is a dimple that develops on the outdrive from the drive pin on the dogbone. When you turn the wheel the pin rides in and out of the dimple and sets up the resonance. The solution for this is to either replace the outdrive (503234-1) or using a dremmel tool soften the ridge so that there is a ramp instead of a dimple. The fourth reason is the design of the spool itself. The pins that secure the outdrives to the spool allow a lot of wobble. You can see this for yourself before you put the spool in the car. What we have found is that if you apply a tiny amount of rubber cement (the stuff you used to sniff in school) or shoe goo on the spool / outdrive mating surface it does a great job of dampening the vibration and resonance. The shoe goo works better but if you use too much it is really hard to get it apart. Hope this helps

Wolf
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #3225
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Anyone need any of this,

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...d-edition.html
Rock Racing is offline   Reply With Quote