R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #2386
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Well finished the day racing. Great first day on the E4. I ended up qualifying 2nd and taking the 17.5 A main win. Best run I have had since I came back to touring car racing. The E4 is super smooth for me and easy to drive consistantly. I can't wait to get a few more weeks on the car and see how I progress with it.

Time to get an order ready for Wolf. Need a few things.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #2387
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Well finished the day racing. Great first day on the E4. I ended up qualifying 2nd and taking the 17.5 A main win. Best run I have had since I came back to touring car racing. The E4 is super smooth for me and easy to drive consistantly. I can't wait to get a few more weeks on the car and see how I progress with it.

Time to get an order ready for Wolf. Need a few things.
I knew you would like that car, it does drive forgivingly and smooth.
Its home on the pavement isn't it ?!
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #2388
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I knew you would like that car, it does drive forgivingly and smooth.
Its home on the pavement isn't it ?!
Yeah it realy does like the asphalt. I can't wait to run the car again as it was so fun. Just going to order some alum rear hubs and front steering knuckles. I will get the Wolf rears but not sure on the front ones as I don't like red anodize so I might get the K Factory fronts. The stock plastic is very loose but other than that it wasn't a problem on the track.

Hey do you have the Wolf alum battery holder? I just got mine today and found that non of the packs I have fit into it. I will just have a buddy machine the sides some so my pack can fit. I didn't think my SMC 4100 packs where that wide and actually kinda small compared to many packs. My 5000 Yeah Racing packs are not even close to fitting the new tray.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #2389
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Yeah it realy does like the asphalt. I can't wait to run the car again as it was so fun. Just going to order some alum rear hubs and front steering knuckles. I will get the Wolf rears but not sure on the front ones as I don't like red anodize so I might get the K Factory fronts. The stock plastic is very loose but other than that it wasn't a problem on the track.

Hey do you have the Wolf alum battery holder? I just got mine today and found that non of the packs I have fit into it. I will just have a buddy machine the sides some so my pack can fit. I didn't think my SMC 4100 packs where that wide and actually kinda small compared to many packs. My 5000 Yeah Racing packs are not even close to fitting the new tray.
The Reedy 5000 35c fits nicely with 1mm shim under the appointments.
I didn't like stuffing my wires from my Thunder Power batteries in there so I found the best pack to fit.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #2390
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
The Reedy 5000 35c fits nicely with 1mm shim under the appointments.
I didn't like stuffing my wires from my Thunder Power batteries in there so I found the best pack to fit.
My packs fit the car but not the new tray. Oh well I will just have it machined a little from a buddy and all will be good.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #2391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are you using the alloy battery tray or the plastic??
Found no probs with the plastic one but had with the alloy piece.
In the middle they come to the inside and that is what causes the problem with lipo.
I think K-factory or Wolf do a flat one but don't know for sure.

cheers Roy

Quote:
My packs fit the car but not the new tray. Oh well I will just have it machined a little from a buddy and all will be good.
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #2392
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Are you using the alloy battery tray or the plastic??
Found no probs with the plastic one but had with the alloy piece.
In the middle they come to the inside and that is what causes the problem with lipo.
I think K-factory or Wolf do a flat one but don't know for sure.

cheers Roy
No its the Wolf steel tray that my packs on't fit into. Not a huge problem as I have a few friends with milling machines so I will just have it modified a little and problem will be solved.

Going to place an order today and get some K Factory stuff (alum rear hubs and front alum steering knuckles) as that will stop the slop in my bearings and also will look great on the car. A little expensive but thts ok they will add strength and just make the car even better.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #2393
wyd
Tech Legend

Ok I messed with the Wolf steel tray more this afternoon. I took it to my local shop and was messing around with batteries some. I noticed packs that have rounded corners fit (Orion 4800 Platnium, Losi 3700, and TracPower 4900). Packs like the Yeah Racing 4000, 5000 and SMC 3200 and 4100 all have square ended packs and they don't fit. Easy fix once I have a buddy mill it a tad if I want to use the square corned packs.

Lucky to have 2 different shops that I know the owners well so I can mess aoround with stuff like that.

More I mess around the more I learn about the car.

Can't wait as I ordered some K Factory goodies from Wolf for the car.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #2394
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Well,

Race suspended due to heavy rain last night (all drivers received an email + SMS text message saying race suspended) ... BUT, today in the morning big sun raised so i picked my stuff and went to the track, by 10am was all dry so i spent the whole day at the track testing the car for first time !!

So ... i started with a base setup more or less as manual said, but changed my transmission spur and pinion to 48p. Initiated the day with a FDR of 4.63 and the car felt too agressive on exiting corners but no speed at straight. Switched to 4.36 and 4.12 FDR and with 4.12 the car seemed to be very very good but as by the end of 8 minute run (we race 8 minutes heats and finals) the motor came up to 55C (like 130F) i felt that the motor and car has more to give.

Finally, i tried 72 spur and 38 pinion combination for FDR of 3.90 and at 9 minutes run (wanted to be sure that 8 minutes would be OK) i ended with my motor at 67C (aprox. 155F) so it seemed like the perfect setup (now its semi cold weather so i assume i have to go back in FDR couple months where weather will be very hot, or find some cooling solution.

So, with this new 3.90 FDR i practiced like 6 battery packs on 9 minutes runs and guys after racing a Hotbodies Cyclone, im sold to TM E4RS !!, the car feels very solid, it turns and do the fast chicane sections very fast and glued to the asphalt and on final speed it seems to be very fast (couple guys at the track practicing with me but not the fastest guys usually at races but i smoked their butts). I have to order a TM shock spring set as i used associated ones and seems a little longer and the chassis stays little high but even with this the car feels so great at the track. One thing that it amazed me was the brake performance, it brakes awesome and so controlled.

After trying different setups i ended like this :

- Front 1,5 Toe Out.
- Rear 1.5 Toe In.
- Front stock spool.
- Rear differential, not so free, not so tight (i dont know how i define this lol !).
- Front and rear 35wt shock oil.
- Front associated purple shock spring.
- Rear TM stock silver shock spring.
- 6.5mm front chassis high.
- 8mm rear chassis high.
- Front shocks on lower outside position and upper outside position.
- Rear shocks on lower outside position and upper 3rd from up to down position.

Just as reference, im using Novak 13.5 SS PRO motor with Novak cooling fins installed and Novak GTB speed control and Kawada pinion and spur on 4.600mah UP H-Energy batts (NiMH x 6).

This was the layout i practiced as it was the suspended race one (will be raced next weekend if weather permits), wich its kinda slow in the infield with a back straight of about 60 meters (195 feet aprox.) :

Any opinion, feel free to speak.

Sincerely THANKS A LOT for your help on the forum, emails and PM's,

ps : By the end of the day, no single part broke, all seems tight so just air pressure cleaning and back to the transport bag lol !.

cya !!

Pato Concha
Southamerica

Last edited by Tabushi; 08-16-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #2395
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Well,

Race suspended due to heavy rain last night (all drivers received an email + SMS text message saying race suspended) ... BUT, today in the morning big sun raised so i picked my stuff and went to the track, by 10am was all dry so i spent the whole day at the track testing the car for first time !!

So ... i started with a base setup more or less as manual said, but changed my transmission spur and pinion to 48p. Initiated the day with a FDR of 4.63 and the car felt too agressive on exiting corners but no speed at straight. Switched to 4.36 and 4.12 FDR and with 4.12 the car seemed to be very very good but as by the end of 8 minute run (we race 8 minutes heats and finals) the motor came up to 55C (like 130F) i felt that the motor and car has more to give.

Finally, i tried 72 spur and 38 pinion combination for FDR of 3.90 and at 9 minutes run (wanted to be sure that 8 minutes would be OK) i ended with my motor at 67C (aprox. 155F) so it seemed like the perfect setup (now its semi cold weather so i assume i have to go back in FDR couple months where weather will be very hot, or find some cooling solution.

So, with this new 3.90 FDR i practiced like 6 battery packs on 9 minutes runs and guys after racing a Hotbodies Cyclone, im sold to TM E4RS !!, the car feels very solid, it turns and do the fast chicane sections very fast and glued to the asphalt and on final speed it seems to be very fast (couple guys at the track practicing with me but not the fastest guys usually at races but i smoked their butts). I have to order a TM shock spring set as i used associated ones and seems a little longer and the chassis stays little high but even with this the car feels so great at the track. One thing that it amazed me was the brake performance, it brakes awesome and so controlled.

After trying different setups i ended like this :

- Front 1,5 Toe Out.
- Rear 1.5 Toe In.
- Front stock spool.
- Rear differential, not so free, not so tight (i dont know how i define this lol !).
- Front and rear 35wt shock oil.
- Front associated purple shock spring.
- Rear TM stock silver shock spring.
- 6.5mm front chassis high.
- 8mm rear chassis high.
- Front shocks on lower outside position and upper outside position.
- Rear shocks on lower outside position and upper 3rd from up to down position.

Just as reference, im using Novak 13.5 SS PRO motor with Novak cooling fins installed and Novak GTB speed control and Kawada pinion and spur on 4.600mah UP H-Energy batts (NiMH x 6).

This was the layout i practiced as it was the suspended race one (will be raced next weekend if weather permits), wich its kinda slow in the infield with a back straight of about 60 meters (195 feet aprox.) :

Any opinion, feel free to speak.

Sincerely THANKS A LOT for your help on the forum, emails and PM's,

ps : By the end of the day, no single part broke, all seems tight so just air pressure cleaning and back to the transport bag lol !.

cya !!

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Sounds like you get some good quality testing in at the track. I feel kinda the same way as my FS on asphalt for the first time this weekend was like glue on the track. Not matter what I changed to get more steering overall the rear still stayed planted to the track. The car is very calm and super easy for me to drive.

Will see how it feels once I get onto some outdoor tracks where traction normally isn't as high. I expect the car still to hook up well even with a 13.5 in the car.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #2396
wyd
Tech Legend

Ok I hav a few pics of the new Wolf battery tray and the battery that I'm going to use that fit perfectly into the tray. I found a few at the shop that fit but I got a steal on the Orion 4800 platnium so for now I will use that.

I also have pics of the three packs together. The Orion Platnium 4800, SMC 3200 and the Yeah Racing 5000. The SMC with a little mod on the tray would fit perfectly and the 4100 SMC would also fit and the same size as the 3200. The wires come out the left front corner so again perfect for the E4 car.

You can see the Orion is more rounded on the corners like the Wolf Tray thus fitting in the tray perfect. The TracPower 4900 and Losi 3700 all fit perfectly into the tray as well.

I will get some more pics of the Wolf tray tommorrow with the pack in the top and then pics of the SMC in the tray and you can see why they don't fit.

In the first pic you can also see the new Novak Ballistic motor in the car and see how the end of the motor tapers which leaves lots of room for gearing changes.

Last edited by wyd; 07-01-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #2397
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A small tip for all with a E4...Tape the hole under your spur gear shut to protect your gear.
If not you pick up the smallest parts up and damage them very quickly.
@Tabushi try to lower the car to 5mm front and 5.5mm at the rear if the track allows it(not to bumpy)
It gets even more stable.

cheers Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #2398
wyd
Tech Legend

Tonight I will post some more pics of different batteries that fit the Wolf lipo tray. I'm going to the shop and will get pics of different brands of packs that fit so guys will not have to guess so much.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #2399
Tech Master

Quote:
Ok I hav a few pics of the new Wolf battery tray and the battery that I'm going to use that fit perfectly into the tray. I found a few at the shop that fit but I got a steal on the Orion 4800 platnium so for now I will use that.

I also have pics of the three packs together. The Orion Platnium 4800, SMC 3200 and the Yeah Racing 5000. The SMC with a little mod on the tray would fit perfectly and the 4100 SMC would also fit and the same size as the 3200. The wires come out the left front corner so again perfect for the E4 car.

You can see the Orion is more rounded on the corners like the Wolf Tray thus fitting in the tray perfect. The TracPower 4900 and Losi 3700 all fit perfectly into the tray as well.

I will get some more pics of the Wolf tray tommorrow with the pack in the top and then pics of the SMC in the tray and you can see why they don't fit.

In the first pic you can also see the new Novak Ballistic motor in the car and see how the end of the motor tapers which leaves lots of room for gearing changes.

Those wired packs may fit the tray but will the wires get damaged from ingress and egress. I couldn't get my Thunder Power 40c packs to fit without botching the wires. thats why I have the Reedy 5000 35c in my DE car.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #2400
Tech Regular

Quote:
Those wired packs may fit the tray but will the wires get damaged from ingress and egress. I couldn't get my Thunder Power 40c packs to fit without botching the wires. thats why I have the Reedy 5000 35c in my DE car.
(on on my buddies account from the hobby shop) Yeah I hear you on the Thunder Power packs. I had a buddy wanted me to run his brand new pack but I couldn't get it to fit without jamming it in their and like you said bitch up the wires.
www.facebook.com/thhrc
thhrc is offline   Reply With Quote