Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:26 AM
Tech Regular

Actually, comparing both of our pics, it looks like it may have broken in the same spot a the bottom, then just spread in a different upwards direction.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 AM
Tech Regular

It certainly seems to be the V2's weak spot.

Perhaps Tamiya don't do computer aided stress testings of their M-Chassis.

Or then again perhaps they do............
Old 08-20-2015, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just V2, none on M05?
Old 08-20-2015, 05:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by filippimini
Mine cracked last week but a different spot. It certainly change the way the car handled. I couldn't take a right hand corner at speed without the car flipping.

Unlike you monkeracing, I have to wait for a new one to come from hong kong. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow or I wont be racing it this weekend.

It runs across the bottom, up around the gear case and up to the little ear that the top arm mounts to.
This is the same spot my chrome plated v2 chassis snapped.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Is it from the impact hitting the asphalt? If so, can a skid plate help?
Take some of the weight off the top, place it on the bottom using brass, raise height by 0.5mm to offset.

I usually raise the height by 6-7mm when I take my cars outside. This is another reason why I hate taking my cars outside because I have to change the setups back and forth between parking lot and my track... with the M05/V2 tracking issues with the rear left ride height, just a hassle dialing it back in while perfecting the even wheel gaps with the body as I like my models to look like real cars.

Last edited by sakadachi; 08-20-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Is it from the impact hitting the asphalt? If so, can a skid plate help?
Take some of the weight off the top, place it on the bottom using brass, raise height by 0.5mm to offset.

I usually raise the height by 6-7mm when I take my cars outside. This is another reason why I hate taking my cars outside because I have to change the setups back and forth between parking lot and my track... with the M05/V2 tracking issues with the rear left ride height, just a hassle dialing it back in while perfecting the even wheel gaps with the body as I like my models to look like real cars.
This would be a combination of factors. Running my standard indoor ride height and ramping over the dots, while running way too much motor, was likely the lethal mix. Smacked the boards a time or two, as well.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
This would be a combination of factors. Running my standard indoor ride height and ramping over the dots, while running way too much motor, was likely the lethal mix. Smacked the boards a time or two, as well.
I see. I suppose these cars are made for 21.5/silver cans, maybe 17.5t at best?

What do you think about the brass skid plate? Might help? It just needs to follow the front bottom to about the battery, even use thin VHB mounting tape. Should help absorb the impact and spread it instead of concentrating the energy repetitively at the same spot.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by filippimini
Unlike you monkeracing, I have to wait for a new one to come from hong kong. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow or I wont be racing it this weekend.
If this had happened at home, I'd be in the same boat, but I was in a different city, where the hobby shop actually had stuff on the shelf. Lucky for me, that hobby shop also happened to be on the road on the way out of town.

It's getting shelved for a while anyway. I need some of it parts for another car and this annoyed me enough that my M03 is being pressed back into service.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Gotta love the M03. Thing is pretty ugly (well at least mine is) but drives very well.

For those in the USA, you're still in luck for the V2 chassis spares. I bought 2 a while back just as backup because TamiyaUSA wanted $36 for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tamiya-R...item4d33364063

Speaking of backup parts, I have a new M02 coming in soon for my M01.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dual motor gen 1 mini?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Dual motor gen 1 mini?
I didn't even think about that! Kinda like the old WildDagger my kid has, dual motor 4WD.

Nono, I want my M01 to be just a classic car. A few mods and personal twists to make it mine, but keeping the rest authentic. Now if I can source a swaybar set, I'd like to get one..
Old 08-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Sak, I originally wanted to keep my M-01 as a classic shelf queen, but I couldn't resist running it. The steering slop was atrocious. So I made an adapter plate for M-05 steering components. There are a few aluminum bits here and there. Obviously not all Tamiya original parts, but I like to think the essence of the M-01 novelty is still there. Not a racer, but a fun, little basher. And its ability to track straight is hugely improved.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Sak, I originally wanted to keep my M-01 as a classic shelf queen, but I couldn't resist running it. The steering slop was atrocious. So I made an adapter plate for M-05 steering components. There are a few aluminum bits here and there. Obviously not all Tamiya original parts, but I like to think the essence of the M-01 novelty is still there. Not a racer, but a fun, little basher. And its ability to track straight is hugely improved.
Wow, looks great, thanks for sharing!

I have the factory aluminum steering linkage on mine and it's pretty decent. When I made the long steering rod more robust and using the high torque servo saver, it got me thinking maybe the next weak link is the 2 vertical posts that hold the entire linkage together. Have you had that break at all?

Also, any tips you can give me on the swaybar would be great. I can't locate anyone selling the Tamiya M01/M02 stabilizer set: 53239.

I think I'm going to make at least the front one out of the M03's rear stabilizer parts and some brass sheets I have..
Old 08-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

No, I haven't had those posts break. The sloppiness is often attributed to them. I wanted to find large bearing to fit over the stock posts, but then I'd have to find bell cranks to fit. I ended up shaving the plastic posts to fit my plate with the Yeah Racing bell cranks.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
No, I haven't had those posts break. The sloppiness is often attributed to them. I wanted to find large bearing to fit over the stock posts, but then I'd have to find bell cranks to fit. I ended up shaving the plastic posts to fit my plate with the Yeah Racing bell cranks.
Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.