Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 08-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I do agree with the order, and hope that I can practice enough to make the Amain in all classes. I guess practicing three times a week will be my next step....Cheers...
Old 08-18-2015, 10:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Notes on driving someone else's car - I've driven Ivan's on several occasions and it pisses me off that his junk drives better than my "good" car. It's just broken in the right way, like a good pair of boots.

Scott's cars drive like they're on rails. Solid. Very much like a European sports car.

I've driven the cars of some other fast guys and I have no idea how they keep the things on the track.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Notes on driving someone else's car - I've driven Ivan's on several occasions and it pisses me off that his junk drives better than my "good" car. It's just broken in the right way, like a good pair of boots.
/\ THIS! I wish I could figure out why a mini needs a 'break in'. The last few times I have done a complete rebuild, the car has needed this break in, where it gets easier to drive after a few sessions. I have recheck things on the setup boards, double checked every measurement, and still, nothing worked except for more laps. And after its driving better, I check the numbers, they haven't changed!

I'm not sure if its just the tires finding the right grip levels, maybe my driving adjusting to what the car needs or what, but I cant escape the car needing a little break in time. And once its had this break in time, the car is so consistent its funny. It can sit on the shelf for 4 months, and be just as fast as before. Thats why I love mini.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tires do need to break in, just like a real car.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Tires do need to break in, just like a real car.
Most of the times yes. But I have at times, thrown a new set on and its quick right away. For us on the rug, we use Traction Compound, so getting the mixture right within the tire takes a while. With a new tire, I drown them in compound. With a used set, most times it just requires a few runs to be set. Also when we travel to another track, you need a few laps to break into the new surface also. Not sure about Asphalt?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by axle182
Most of the times yes. But I have at times, thrown a new set on and its quick right away. For us on the rug, we use Traction Compound, so getting the mixture right within the tire takes a while. With a new tire, I drown them in compound. With a used set, most times it just requires a few runs to be set. Also when we travel to another track, you need a few laps to break into the new surface also. Not sure about Asphalt?
Yes, that is very true.

I am happy I do not need to deal with traction compound in my basement track any more. I don't use anything now, just place the car, break in the new tires (more for the camber angle), and it's all good. Following runs, take a few slower laps to clean off the outer tire skin, and the tires start sticking very well again and I just go at it.

Outdoors asphalt is tricky imo because some places are just too dusty to being with and no matter what tire or compound you use, it ends up one needing to re-setup the suspension to match. Then the sun comes out or gets cloudy and the setup needs to be tweaked again. But I guess that is all part of the fun.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

I just spent like $20 on a M01 spare gear set.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Outdoors asphalt is tricky imo because some places are just too dusty to being with and no matter what tire or compound you use, it ends up one needing to re-setup the suspension to match. Then the sun comes out or gets cloudy and the setup needs to be tweaked again. But I guess that is all part of the fun.
Funnily enough, the issue of sun/shade on asphalt is very similar to the issue of temperature of the carpet. Last season a few racers had a discussion, that the thermostat at our track needs to be set to a certain value all season and never altered. After many months having a warm track, one night, someone turned the temp way down, and my TC cars were terrible. The thermostat setting almost needs to be in the rule book! lol
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Funnily enough, the issue of sun/shade on asphalt is very similar to the issue of temperature of the carpet. Last season a few racers had a discussion, that the thermostat at our track needs to be set to a certain value all season and never altered. After many months having a warm track, one night, someone turned the temp way down, and my TC cars were terrible. The thermostat setting almost needs to be in the rule book! lol
That's funny, but I can see that happening.

My track surface is rubber so in the colder months the house's hvac in the basement keeps the runners fairly warm resulting in great traction and even traction rolling my M03, but in the summer the basement is cold from the a/c. My M03 does not traction roll.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Track temp has a big effect even on carpet. At our club we roll the carpet out on to a concrete hangar floor. In the winter it gets to -30 to -40 up here. When it's cold out you can tell the difference in traction. it is way down.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I hate it when someone turns up the heat to get the track a little stickier. Those infrared heaters just kill me whe I'm sitting at my pit table. (I'm the only guy I know with a fan blowing on me full time in winter.)

The only thing that sucks more is when a door close to the track gets opened at -30 and the surface goes to hell in few seconds. Happens more at Karz than Carcar.

Whining complete. Now on with my day!

EDIT: It appears I broke my 05 a little more than I realized. Amazing it kept on running as well as it did.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-19-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Now that is a big crack...!

My M01 freshly built and first light tap on wall.. The heck..

Fixed...

I was actually pretty amazed how well it ran without the body... I'd say rivals V2. But then as soon
as I put the body on, sway fever... I need to do something about the body roll.
I'm still real happy I got this kit.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I hate it when someone turns up the heat to get the track a little stickier. Those infrared heaters just kill me whe I'm sitting at my pit table. (I'm the only guy I know with a fan blowing on me full time in winter.)

The only thing that sucks more is when a door close to the track gets opened at -30 and the surface goes to hell in few seconds. Happens more at Karz than Carcar.

Whining complete. Now on with my day!

EDIT: It appears I broke my 05 a little more than I realized. Amazing it kept on running as well as it did.

Ouch, someone needs a new chassis!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Ouch, someone needs a new chassis!
Bought one on the way home. I'm fairly sure it was this messed up for at least 3 heats. Would certainly explain some of the more interesting noises I was hearing. So, 10.5, cranked, repeatedly jumping the cast iron corner dots - bad.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 AM
Tech Regular

Mine cracked last week but a different spot. It certainly change the way the car handled. I couldn't take a right hand corner at speed without the car flipping.

Unlike you monkeracing, I have to wait for a new one to come from hong kong. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow or I wont be racing it this weekend.

It runs across the bottom, up around the gear case and up to the little ear that the top arm mounts to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.