Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Agreed. Positivity and technical should be in here. DOES ANYONE HAVE A BRUSHLESS IN THEIR MINI!?!?!? LOL!!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Now does anybody run brushless in these little guys?? I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions. Crazy busy with work and homie right now so I may forget. I think my 20c 2500mah might be good enough but I don't want to starve the motor of amperage. Any thoughts?
That battery will provide 50a of power continuously. (2500x20/1000=50) With a mild brushless combo, it'd be good for about 10 minutes of racing. For the sake of extra run time or more consistent performance, you could go up a notch and stay affordable. Don't recall if you're running v1 or v2. If you running v1, I think there are some rounded packs made by "Peak Power" that are around 3300mah and have a decent C rating. I'm using a v2 and have found the 4200 Turnigy Nanotech shorties from Hobbyking very good. Cheap and the C rating is huge, compared to what you actually need.

Think of it this way, even with a 13t Hobbywing system, you're unlikely to ever need more than 35-40a power. Either battery is just the right amount of overkill. overkill.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now does anybody run brushless in these little guys?? I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions. Crazy busy with work and homie right now so I may forget. I think my 20c 2500mah might be good enough but I don't want to starve the motor of amperage. Any thoughts?
I tried my 21.5 Reedy Sonic with my 45C 4200mAh Lipo in V2. Worked fine for me.

This is the battery I use, I found some on ebay at a lower price when I grabbed 2. Guys here recommended it and it is good.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2745
Old 07-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Well to give him his dues, GP has continually tried to guide and help others with the technical aspects of the M-chassis. He continues to reply to others who could have easily answered their own questions, by searching the thread. That's a very helpful person right there, and has been for many years, previous to this current 'situation'.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed. Positivity and technical should be in here. DOES ANYONE HAVE A BRUSHLESS IN THEIR MINI!?!?!? LOL!!
TCS rules allow brushless 21.5t motors, yes many of us and certainly those who race their minis like I do run a brushless and lipo battery setup.

I am using a Revtech Killshot "High RPM" 21.5t motor w/ a speed passion esc and shorty pack 2s battery (4500mah and 90c).
Some guys switch out motors depending on the track, shorter track w/ more turns you may want to try a high torque motor for quick start/stop acceleration. Whereas a longer track you may want to go w/ a high rpm motor for higher top speeds. The differences are sublte but very noticeable in a race setting w/ other drivers of equal skill.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV

That's really great that your kids go to school 6 days a week at a private school!
You must be really proud of them
My son goes to a public and is in the honor society ,
Yeah he busts his butt with homework n projects, but we still have time to race, go to a ball game, hunting, biking too!
Sounds to me that maybe instead of those 6 days at school and staying real busy after school they might get some better time with Dad. But that's your choice.
Maybe instead of pointing out all of your greatness to people and dominating the thread
You may want to step back and let people just learn and point out what they have accomplished. I really don't need to see pictures of your car everytime it gets a little scratch on it and how you so bravely repaired it over night. What id really like to see is how people smashed their cars/bodies and made repairs to them in record time and came from last place at some small track to win the c main!
That to me is a real accomplishment that should be applauded
Sorry but I'm ( and I'm sure there are otheres out there too) that are just getting tired!
No, my kids go to public school 5 days, and just Saturday to private school.
I'm not sure why you think I am boasting because I am not. I do find it though that guys here are quite different from the real car forums. Seems like self-esteem is like 1:10th scale too, maybe 1:12 since we run m-chassis. (just a joke).

Sorry about posting picts. Anyone interested can see them in my albums page. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 32819toon
I've got to agree with Ka2aev. Every night I check out the On road threads, the Mini one is always at the top for most recent posts. Every night instead of finding some useful info, I find 2 children arguing and competing on who knows the most. Grandpa, Sadakachi, give it a rest. We don't need all that sh**. Keep us advised, and informed but for gods sake stop the bitching !
Well noted! I too don't see why I need to keep re-explaining myself that I am not trying to boast or offend anyone?
And agreed, no more fuss. I hate it too. I too agree Granpa is helpful.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

-I also constantly adjust my motor timing at each race for torque vs speed (just depends on what the track is like).
Old 07-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 32819toon
I've got to agree with Ka2aev. Every night I check out the On road threads, the Mini one is always at the top for most recent posts. Every night instead of finding some useful info, I find 2 children arguing and competing on who knows the most. Grandpa, Sadakachi, give it a rest. We don't need all that sh**. Keep us advised, and informed but for gods sake stop the bitching !
You're right.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
That battery will provide 50a of power continuously. (2500x20/1000=50) With a mild brushless combo, it'd be good for about 10 minutes of racing. For the sake of extra run time or more consistent performance, you could go up a notch and stay affordable. Don't recall if you're running v1 or v2. If you running v1, I think there are some rounded packs made by "Peak Power" that are around 3300mah and have a decent C rating. I'm using a v2 and have found the 4200 Turnigy Nanotech shorties from Hobbyking very good. Cheap and the C rating is huge, compared to what you actually need.

Think of it this way, even with a 13t Hobbywing system, you're unlikely to ever need more than 35-40a power. Either battery is just the right amount of overkill. overkill.
I'm running these smaller 2S Lipo's for 1:16th on my M-Four. They are like 20C to 45C. The 20C is noticeably inconsistent in throttle response vs my 45C even though the voltage is much higher than 3.8v during the drive.

What causes this? Just a low quality cell? I bought all of them around the same time frame and they are always charged at 1C, balanced.

Motor is a Tamiya 380 Sports-Tuned so the current draw is pretty small.. TIA!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Big thanks to KA2EV for reminding me there's an ignore list available. I respect you guys, but need some quiet time.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-12-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

V1 or V2? What's the difference. I have a Tamiya mini racing m05. Does that help? Looking at a 4000kv 8.5t 120 esc. I didn't get the watts from the motor to calculate the amperage draw.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
TCS rules allow brushless 21.5t motors, yes many of us and certainly those who race their minis like I do run a brushless and lipo battery setup.

I am using a Revtech Killshot "High RPM" 21.5t motor w/ a speed passion esc and shorty pack 2s battery (4500mah and 90c).
Some guys switch out motors depending on the track, shorter track w/ more turns you may want to try a high torque motor for quick start/stop acceleration. Whereas a longer track you may want to go w/ a high rpm motor for higher top speeds. The differences are sublte but very noticeable in a race setting w/ other drivers of equal skill.

That's a really good motor combo and I've run it extensively. Now these are subjective, but it's not the smoothest driving motor cause the motor comes in suddenly. When you get near the top edge of advance, monitor your motor temps.

Presently though, I'm running the R1 motor cause for pure revs, I believe it's King. The motor is smoother than a Killshot and is not as touchy on temps. By that I mean the performance doesn't seem to drop off with a higher temp. Obviously, it's never wise to routinely over heat a motor, but I've done that with my R1. For full disclosure though, I started with this motor from the prototype stage and watched the motor being developed, so may be a little prejudiced.

Post is not just for you, but for anyone shopping for a 21.5
Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

V1 or V2? What's the difference. I have a Tamiya mini racing m05. Does that help? Looking at a 4000kv 8.5t 120 esc. I didn't get the watts from the motor to calculate the amperage draw.
V1 uses rounded batteries. V2 uses square batteries.

You're driving a mini, it is very unlikely you'll need a huge amount of amperage, though it would seem you'd be pushing your luck with 2500a/20c. Find something with a little more capacity.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

V1 uses rounded batteries. V2 uses square batteries.

You're driving a mini, it is very unlikely you'll need a huge amount of amperage, though it would seem you'd be pushing your luck with 2500a/20c. Find something with a little more capacity.
Got it monkey....Thankyou. I have a v1. I was leaning towards a 4500mah and a at least 50c. Can't remember exactly what o was looking at but it was the higher end of the C rating. Anyway to calculate the watts of motor if it's not listed??
Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Newbie, ive used (more like abused!) these for a while now -

I find them fantastic, we have a few drivers with large pockets up here, and I can still beat them with a 2yo 4200, that's been abused badly. Never storage charged, used in a starter box during the summer etc. Ill be buying these again soon, as I ended up selling the two I had at the end of the season.

I would go with what Tony posted, ignore the C rating all together, get a decent Mah size, and find a good deal. So many people say the HK batteries are garbage, they probably don't have one. Ive used them a lot in all kinds of rc, and they all work fantastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.