Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-16-2015, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I get the feeling you guys sleep even less than I do.
I need a face palm emoticon..
Old 07-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
The maximum speed of a Mini with a 20 tooth pinion and a very good stock Silvercan is 22 -23MPH. Now I know from thousands of dyno runs with Silvercan motors, it takes a little over 2 sec for them to spool all the way up on a dyno under load. Probably a little longer in a car. Also know that a time to rpm curve on thee motors is linear.

Now, these are facts and not opinions. If these are all factored in, your car, in all likelihood, is not reaching a maximum speed of 10MPH. At these speeds you could probably get away with running tires glued on just one side.
That's good estimation actually. I estimated approx 13-14mph running my V2 with Lipo's, near 20mph on my 4WD m-chassis. They are significantly faster on the short straight for obvious reasons.

The M05 pictured is heavy with the MonteCarlo body and I only run NiCd/NiMh on purpose, I would say 10-11mph at best. I don't want to crash the body either due to all the plastic decorative bits on there!

When I take these cars outside I yawn how slow they go in big space. This is why I primarily run these cars in my tiny track. I think the silver can is perfect. Enough power to wot, good braking techniques required, keeps me on my toes. Like I said on a few occasions, it's like an auto-x course, very technical and rewarding when I hit the apex correctly.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
So what I'm looking for in a battery...just to be sure I'm right....is a high mah and C rating. High enough to satisfy the amperage draw of the motor and ensure the esc can also handle the current output to the motor so I don't cook the esc. Is this correct?
Dude, Granpa and Tony explained quite clearly, you don't need anything special in battery in a mini. And old crapper will do. The only question is if you need a round one or you can get away with a square one (don't know if you run an M05 V1 or V2).

Other than that, keep in mind more powerful batteries are heavier (all those electrons) which no doubt will kill your acceleration.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
Dude, Granpa and Tony explained quite clearly, you don't need anything special in battery in a mini. And old crapper will do. The only question is if you need a round one or you can get away with a square one (don't know if you run an M05 V1 or V2).

Other than that, keep in mind more powerful batteries are heavier (all those electrons) which no doubt will kill your acceleration.
Looking into a brushless. That's why I'm asking. Going to be upgrading so I just want to make sure I'm not starving the motor. And learning about the hole aspect of batteries in general. That's all. Not just for the stock silver can.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
That's good estimation actually. I estimated approx 13-14mph running my V2 with Lipo's, near 20mph on my 4WD m-chassis. They are significantly faster on the short straight for obvious reasons.

The M05 pictured is heavy with the MonteCarlo body and I only run NiCd/NiMh on purpose, I would say 10-11mph at best. I don't want to crash the body either due to all the plastic decorative bits on there!

When I take these cars outside I yawn how slow they go in big space. This is why I primarily run these cars in my tiny track. I think the silver can is perfect. Enough power to wot, good braking techniques required, keeps me on my toes. Like I said on a few occasions, it's like an auto-x course, very technical and rewarding when I hit the apex correctly.
Yeah, well running my car around by myself in a bath tub in a basement isn't my idea of fun either. I'd rather be at a big track with my friends trying to beat their brains out while they are trying to return the favor.

We're two very different people in two very different hobbies using the same vehicle for fulfillment. Your hobby confuses me and mine bores you. No lines of communication here.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, well running my car around by myself in a bath tub in a basement isn't my idea of fun either. I'd rather be at a big track with my friends trying to beat their brains out while they are trying to return the favor..
Add to the fact to get out with my son, watching him grow and learn to interreact in different situations makes it all worth the road trips to all the different tracks to hang out with old friends and to make new ones!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, well running my car around by myself in a bath tub in a basement isn't my idea of fun either. I'd rather be at a big track with my friends trying to beat their brains out while they are trying to return the favor.

We're two very different people in two very different hobbies using the same vehicle for fulfillment. Your hobby confuses me and mine bores you. No lines of communication here.
WTF is wrong with you, Granpa? Were you like beaten up as a child or something? Why so negative? I never stated that your hobby bores me, (actually already mentioned to you that I envy that you drive at a Tamiya track, remember?). I just said that my cars with the silver cans outdoors feels very slow to me. I'd run much higher output motors but my primary driving is done in my own track so do not feel like changing settings back and forth just for that.

I can't believe you are at an age where you should feel confident and happy of what you accomplished in life, but you sound like a struggling high school kid that always wants to stick something at someone because of self esteem issues. Very sad!

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Add to the fact to get out with my son, watching him grow and learn to interreact in different situations makes it all worth the road trips to all the different tracks to hang out with old friends and to make new ones!
That sounds great! My kids go to private school on Saturdays and during the regular school year they are very busy during week nights. In the summer they attend a local summer camp and enjoy their days. Still need to do homework during the evening hours though. hahaha! I like to take mine out biking after work and spend time with them outdoors, or just joke around inside the house.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

So, I have the metal steering links coming to me on my M05.

What breaks next on the steering tract? Sometimes I keep weak links on purpose to prevent bigger damage to the cars. Honestly I was expecting the uprights to break first, not the linkage. I remember in the old days the uprights on my M03's would bend way out of shape after a big crash.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
WTF is wrong with you, Granpa? Were you like beaten up as a child or something? Why so negative? I never stated that your hobby bores me, (actually already mentioned to you that I envy that you drive at a Tamiya track, remember?). I just said that my cars with the silver cans outdoors feels very slow to me. I'd run much higher output motors but my primary driving is done in my own track so do not feel like changing settings back and forth just for that.

I can't believe you are at an age where you should feel confident and happy of what you accomplished in life, but you sound like a struggling high school kid that always wants to stick something at someone because of self esteem issues. Very sad!

That sounds great! My kids go to private school on Saturdays and during the regular school year they are very busy during week nights. In the summer they attend a local summer camp and enjoy their days. Still need to do homework during the evening hours though. hahaha! I like to take mine out biking after work and spend time with them outdoors, or just joke around inside the house.
I'll give you the last word.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

I'll give you the last word.
I don't care about the last word, Granpa. It's not about you vs me and who won in some battle that wasn't even a battle to begin with.

yare yare.. big sigh
Old 07-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Cmon guys. Let it be. Differences aside. They don't help with the cars lol.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Cmon guys. Let it be. Differences aside. They don't help with the cars lol.
I think we are in the clear. We exchanged PM's, and I think we are cool.

So, anything new going on with your M05?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Now does anybody run brushless in these little guys?? I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions. Crazy busy with work and homie right now so I may forget. I think my 20c 2500mah might be good enough but I don't want to starve the motor of amperage. Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

That sounds great! My kids go to private school on Saturdays and during the regular school year they are very busy during week nights. In the summer they attend a local summer camp and enjoy their days. Still need to do homework during the evening hours though. hahaha! I like to take mine out biking after work and spend time with them outdoors, or just joke around inside the house.[/QUOTE]

That's really great that your kids go to school 6 days a week at a private school!
You must be really proud of them
My son goes to a public and is in the honor society ,
Yeah he busts his butt with homework n projects, but we still have time to race, go to a ball game, hunting, biking too!
Sounds to me that maybe instead of those 6 days at school and staying real busy after school they might get some better time with Dad. But that's your choice.
Maybe instead of pointing out all of your greatness to people and dominating the thread
You may want to step back and let people just learn and point out what they have accomplished. I really don't need to see pictures of your car everytime it gets a little scratch on it and how you so bravely repaired it over night. What id really like to see is how people smashed their cars/bodies and made repairs to them in record time and came from last place at some small track to win the c main!
That to me is a real accomplishment that should be applauded
Sorry but I'm ( and I'm sure there are otheres out there too) that are just getting tired!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

I've got to agree with Ka2aev. Every night I check out the On road threads, the Mini one is always at the top for most recent posts. Every night instead of finding some useful info, I find 2 children arguing and competing on who knows the most. Grandpa, Sadakachi, give it a rest. We don't need all that sh**. Keep us advised, and informed but for gods sake stop the bitching !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.