Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 12-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OSherman
i was surprised how 'soft' the guys in Japan were running their M-chassis... i should have stuck to my original plan..

oh well, live and learn...

im certain they were drilling pistons too... if not oil weight down into the 25-30 range...
Kang In-Mo was running #200/3 hole/black-red spring in the front #300/3 hole/white-blue spring in the rear.

Here is his set-up sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
msport worlds 2015.pdf (56.0 KB, 170 views)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Wow extremely close to what we run up here.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Question, I have a few of the M06 rear outer hinge pins, the ones with the ball ends on them, Ive seen a few setups where people are using these front and rear on the fwd cars, to mount the lower part of the shocks. Anyone got some back to back testing to explain the affect? I might give it a try sometime.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

my best run(s), and what I started with was very similar..except

* all the way out on the Fr and Rr Carbon ShockTowers.
*drilled pistons to match that of the black pistons
*40wt Fr, 50wt Rr oil
*stock Fr Hub Carriers (not Ra)
*5mm Fr, 6mm Rr
*md wheelbase CRX

RideHeight gave lots of issues for me throughout the weekend.. We had to leave tires in TechInspection. Every run they got softer and softer even with the absence of 'tire compound', yet actual tire wear was minimal... So after setting my rideheight/droop with my setup tools in the pit I always found myself having to crank on the preload collar at the last minute to pass the rideheight inspection before setting car on track... there was a difference of 1.5mm considering my ideal setup calls for .5-1.0mm droop the car never really felt rite in the later stages of the event after having to 'adjust last minute'. I would say that was the most frustrating part for me... lessons learned.. yes, i set my mini that precise and slop free...

$0.02
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
Wow extremely close to what we run up here.
Interesting thing was battery choice. 1600?! Must've been a typo or a model number.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Interesting thing was battery choice. 1600?! Must've been a typo or a model number.
no.. not a typo

we all were running those. 1600Mah was the max capacity allowed for the class...

Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hahaha! now I don't feel so bad running NiCds and NiMH during the week.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
Kang In-Mo was running #200/3 hole/black-red spring in the front #300/3 hole/white-blue spring in the rear.

Here is his set-up sheet.
what is the rear damper tower hole postion ?
front knuckle is OP or stock ? and what is the hole postion ?
Old 12-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Here is some action at our club :-

https://youtu.be/Xf1IexFUVvI

We have very low grip so there's always experimenting with tyres. Favourites are rally blocks.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Are there more setup sheets available?
does kang in-mo use plastic or alloy dampers?
spec tires used m grip with super hard foams right?

Thank you
Old 12-04-2015, 12:21 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

my best run(s), and what I started with was very similar..except

* all the way out on the Fr and Rr Carbon ShockTowers.
*drilled pistons to match that of the black pistons
*40wt Fr, 50wt Rr oil
*stock Fr Hub Carriers (not Ra)
*5mm Fr, 6mm Rr
*md wheelbase CRX

RideHeight gave lots of issues for me throughout the weekend.. We had to leave tires in TechInspection. Every run they got softer and softer even with the absence of 'tire compound', yet actual tire wear was minimal... So after setting my rideheight/droop with my setup tools in the pit I always found myself having to crank on the preload collar at the last minute to pass the rideheight inspection before setting car on track... there was a difference of 1.5mm considering my ideal setup calls for .5-1.0mm droop the car never really felt rite in the later stages of the event after having to 'adjust last minute'. I would say that was the most frustrating part for me... lessons learned.. yes, i set my mini that precise and slop free...

$0.02
quustion
how many shock piston holes did the black piston have?
what was the most part of the turning do we have to watch for?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
quustion
how many shock piston holes did the black piston have?
what was the most part of the turning do we have to watch for?
black pistons have the same options as the white (3hole).. just BIGGER holes and a flat-spot. (more fluid pass thru)

as far as tuning, just do as you normally do to suite your driving style. only difference is that you kinda have to 'fudge' your overall setup to account for the tires getting softer and inturn reducing your overall rideheight.

my car was nice with the 5mm min clearance even with the 6mm Rr ride.. sad part is when i got to tech after installing my race tires the 6mm Rr that i thought i set would be 4.75mm (not clearing their gauge) was very frustrating.

i would definitely 'go softer' if i had it all to do again. or at least explore the course of laying my shocks WAAAYY down (not using carbon towers) overall while keeping the basic setup i had...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:55 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

black pistons have the same options as the white (3hole).. just BIGGER holes and a flat-spot. (more fluid pass thru)

as far as tuning, just do as you normally do to suite your driving style. only difference is that you kinda have to 'fudge' your overall setup to account for the tires getting softer and inturn reducing your overall rideheight.

my car was nice with the 5mm min clearance even with the 6mm Rr ride.. sad part is when i got to tech after installing my race tires the 6mm Rr that i thought i set would be 4.75mm (not clearing their gauge) was very frustrating.

i would definitely 'go softer' if i had it all to do again. or at least explore the course of laying my shocks WAAAYY down (not using carbon towers) overall while keeping the basic setup i had...
Thanks Sherman
Old 12-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

I'm no pro like you, but I completely removed the carbon damper stays on my V2 at the end (front and rear). It was a useless piece for me. I'll keep it for those times I take my M05 outdoors since it will give me adjustability on the bite. Due to potential chassis cracking, I don't drive my V2 outdoors.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What possessed Tamiya to spec a 1600mah Nicad? Super cheap, old school battery tech and some clown decides TCS in the US needs a $90 spec motor. I sense an ideological fracture between the mothership and Tamiya USA.

Perhaps common sense and a fair middle ground can be found in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.