Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 AM
  #23341  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

No, they will work just fine.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:26 AM
  #23342  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks monkeyracing!
eR1c is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:45 AM
  #23343  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Granpa
A seemingly innocent inquiry by one of the premier Mini pilots in the country. But, not really so, cause the M05, reacts rather oddly to changing shock positions. You would think that laying a shock over would soften the shock action, but it doesn't seem to react that way on the 05 on the front. Oddly the stock position seemed to drive as if it were the stiffest even though it is the most layer over. For the shocks, oils and springs being used at that time, the car itself reacted best in the second hole on the option shock tower.

I had just started to play with the new rear shock tower and using the M06 hinge pin. This as you know gives you a much wider shock position, but requires a longer shock. This combo gave me one of the most stable, locked down Minis, I have ever driven. Unfortunately, I never could run a good lap time with it. Then I got sick.

To your ????, I don't know cause for me, the 05 never reacted in a predictable fashion. I finally had to go to the let's try this and see what the heck happens. By the way, nice going at the Regional here. I heard you were TQ, but had to leave before the Mains.

thanks for the info.. i knew i called on the rite fellow...
OSherman is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 11:32 AM
  #23344  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c
I have a question about the m05 v2 lower arms, these:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=9523

I am in the process of converting my m05 to m05v2. I ordered the v2 lower arms, but not sure they'll make it in time for my next race. Are they different than the m05 arms? I see you can adjust droop, but is there any other difference in terms of size or angle or fit? Wondering if it will make a difference performance wise to run the m05 v1 arms on my m05 v2 chassis?
eR1c - Honestly I don't think it will make that much of a difference. I would just wait on the arms you ordered. If swapping arms would make such difference I would've done it LONG time ago on my M05.

My M-Four uses the same M05 arms, only the joints to the chassis is different. That said, I don't think the M05's arms are 'inferior'.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 AM
  #23345  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
thanks for the info.. i knew i called on the rite fellow...
Orlando, here is where I was going to go with the 06 pin and shock tower. I had thought that with the more outboard placing of both the upper and lower shock mounting points, there would be more shock movement. In other words, the shock shaft and piston would move more for the same amount of suspension movement over the more inboard shock position of the stock one. I had reasoned that since the shaft and piston would move more, it would require a softer shock oil. My 05 had always been a twitchy little beast, but if I could hold it together for a whole lap, it would clock some decent times. When I changed over, it became an easy to drive, consistent car. Even with this old guy on the wheel, I could run lap times with a variance of about 2 tenths. Unfortunately, the lap times were off about 2 or 3 tenths.

Here is what I think is happening. The outward mounting of the shock is causing the car to corner flatter. You know that at Tamiya, if the car is riding too flat thru the corners, you lose corner speed. I was going to disconnect the rear sway bar, and start trying different shock oils and pistons. Now the question becomes, if we go softer on the shock oils, will that let the car roll a bit more and give us more front end grip. Will the new no glue deal give you enough of an increase in front end strength to bring it up to the rear????? You know that the purpose of the glue was to reduce grip----I know you know that, but I threw that in for someone who might be reading this that hadn't worked with glue. the problem with my present set up is that the front end isn't strong enough to get the rear to work properly. My analysis of the problem is that this shock mounting position stabilizes the rear and at the same time loses you a little front end grip.

when I can get back out, this is going to be fun to sort out.
Granpa is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 AM
  #23346  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I spent a great deal of time looking through Tamiya's site (7digit part number section) looking for the RC pressure plate..which is the piece that broke on my M03's ball diff.

Only to find, DISCONTINUED..

I saw someone selling it and was going to place the order this morning, only to find.. SOLD! lol
sakadachi is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 PM
  #23347  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Search for pn 53219. Still available here and there.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 01:13 PM
  #23348  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Search for pn 53219. Still available here and there.
Thanks, monkeyracing. I just need the cap with the splines for the outdrive.

I have other ball diffs I can use in my M03, but sucks that that's the only piece I need to make the one that broke work.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 01:16 PM
  #23349  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I ordered more RobinsonRacing pinions today. 15t, 16t for my M-Four... hope to cool down the motor a bit. It's geared too high anyway probably for the 6.6v LiFe batteries Tamiya sells in Japan; I want more punch out of the corners since it is 4WD.

Hope to win a few 40C nano-techs...
sakadachi is offline  
Old 04-10-2015, 01:18 PM
  #23350  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Granpa
Orlando, here is where I was going to go with the 06 pin and shock tower. I had thought that with the more outboard placing of both the upper and lower shock mounting points, there would be more shock movement. In other words, the shock shaft and piston would move more for the same amount of suspension movement over the more inboard shock position of the stock one. I had reasoned that since the shaft and piston would move more, it would require a softer shock oil. My 05 had always been a twitchy little beast, but if I could hold it together for a whole lap, it would clock some decent times. When I changed over, it became an easy to drive, consistent car. Even with this old guy on the wheel, I could run lap times with a variance of about 2 tenths. Unfortunately, the lap times were off about 2 or 3 tenths.

Here is what I think is happening. The outward mounting of the shock is causing the car to corner flatter. You know that at Tamiya, if the car is riding too flat thru the corners, you lose corner speed. I was going to disconnect the rear sway bar, and start trying different shock oils and pistons. Now the question becomes, if we go softer on the shock oils, will that let the car roll a bit more and give us more front end grip. Will the new no glue deal give you enough of an increase in front end strength to bring it up to the rear????? You know that the purpose of the glue was to reduce grip----I know you know that, but I threw that in for someone who might be reading this that hadn't worked with glue. the problem with my present set up is that the front end isn't strong enough to get the rear to work properly. My analysis of the problem is that this shock mounting position stabilizes the rear and at the same time loses you a little front end grip.

when I can get back out, this is going to be fun to sort out.
very intriguing. think i will play with this approach a bit
OSherman is offline  
Old 04-11-2015, 10:24 AM
  #23351  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

How's everybody doing?

I should be getting my Dynamite dual charger today along with more Lipo firebags.
Next week I got M-Fours parts coming in (a lot) and a few more Lipo's.

I am going to check out the links you guys recommended of the shorty's for my V2 a few pages back. I should be getting the aluminum battery holder for my V2 pretty soon.

I also need to start thinking about painting my 3 Rover Mini bodies.


Do you guys think the M-Four would become a rare 'cool' item down the road? I might buy a few more kits and just save them with the factory wrap for 10+yrs.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 04-11-2015, 10:22 PM
  #23352  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
ScottE1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 344
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Yup, cheap ebay ultrasonic cleaner. I think it was $25, shipped. Very good investment. I use a solution of warm water and a little Simple green. Run a single cycle (2-3 minutes) and it's done. It's not exactly a quality machine, but it works well.....
.
Just an FYI:
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation. ...
ScottE1776 is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 12:53 AM
  #23353  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Fair enough. Thanks for the heads up. Stuff is usually in and out in a couple of minutes. (Sound familiar?)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anodized aluminum, as long as it's done well, forms a non-porous oxide layer. Should be enough protection for cleaning purposes every few years.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
  #23354  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

eR1c - Any update on your race? How was the V2 chassis?
sakadachi is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 02:20 PM
  #23355  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,784
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Anodized aluminum, as long as it's done well, forms a non-porous oxide layer.
It's actually porous, which is the reason it can be dyed all those pretty colors. Sealing to make it non-porous is an extra step (and that's probably what you mean by "done well"!). I suspect most of the parts we use are sealed, so in the end there's no harm done by a little soaking.

Last edited by howardcano; 04-13-2015 at 02:38 PM.
howardcano is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.