Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
I too was curious about that counterweight.

It will fit the M05 perfectly and would seem to counter weight the motor.
For the M05 V2 I am not sure if it would be a perfect fit as the contact area of the V2 chassis is beveled slightly (whereas the weight is flat). -I would be curious if it is a fit though?
The V2's motor placement is more centered vs the M05 so I don't think you would need it. Just shifting your shorty to the right by a few mm would probably do the trick.

I suppose I can add a small counter weight using a wheel weight on my M05 just to see if that helps any.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Okay, got a headache sealing the carbon fiber edges on my new M-Four using plastic cement.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tamiya's finally started giving us black anodized parts and now...

"84414 M-05 Blue Pattern Carbon Damper Stay (Front)
84415 M-05 Blue Pattern Carbon Damper Stay (Rear)"
Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

I ordered up 3 sets of CVD's (one for my M03, 2 others are spares), M05 aluminum battery tie downs (for V2's shorty), and some other aluminum bits and maintenance parts for my m-chassis.

Hope to get my x-rings real soon... My dampers on my M03 are leaking pretty bad with its factory red o-rings. It needs rebuild.

I like how the V2 dampers are clear housing. It is easy to tell when it has an air bubble inside. but I am very happy to report zero leaks since I swapped the clear o-rings to x-rings. It leaks more or less from the top cap side, barely though.

Anyone try the m-chassis big bore dampers from Tamiya?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Considered big bores, but passed, as they'd render my ridiculous collection of M chassis springs obsolete.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Considered big bores, but passed, as they'd render my ridiculous collection of M chassis springs obsolete.
Oh~ Thank you for that, monkeyracing! I didn't know they use different radius springs. Dang... they look so nice too. Oh well, I guess I will pass.

I read somewhere that the M-Chassis aluminum dampers #54000 are longer than the Super Mini CVA shocks, is that true? I want to upgrade my V2 dampers down the road because I think the cap (lid) is going to break after so many cycles as the thread is kinda tight due to harder plastic they use.

Of course, I could just use the black housing ones and transfer the pistons and x-rings. (boring..)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi

Anyone try the m-chassis big bore dampers from Tamiya?
Soon.

Will compare them to existing springs with my calipers and on my spring gauge after work.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Just an observation and comment o the big bore shocks. I am going to assume from the name and comments about the springs, the shocks have a larger oil capacity. I tried the 54000 and did not like them at all. The longer TC type shocks worked much better for the types of racing I was doing. The larger oil capacity seemed to "mellow" out the shock action. The actual stroke of the shock remained the same, but the longer shock body allowed for a larger volume of oil. If you think it thru, you'll figure out why this is.

I suspect that if you've been using the 54000 shock, you'll like the big bore shock on the proviso that the appropriate springs are available. Although, you could probably get the same type of shock action by replacing your existing 54000 shock body with the appropriate TC shock body for a lot less money and use the springs in your present collection. You just have to shim the shock an extra 2mm.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Aren't all the M chassis alloy dampers (except for the big bore) the same, but different colours? I've got my old, silver/bronze coloured set (92227) and set of newer, blue ones (54000). Parts interchange between them, bodies look alike. The only physical difference I've noticed is the 54000 has some knurling on the cap.

Anyway, I'd like to see the difference with the big bores. What situation would they be best in?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Torg- Huh, those big bores look like the dampers that I put together today on my M-Four. Mine are blue.

BTW, I got done building the M-Four and it is faster than my V2. Lol!!! With the stock 380 motor. I am extremely pleased!!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Torg- Huh, those big bores look like the dampers that I put together today on my M-Four. Mine are blue.

BTW, I got done building the M-Four and it is faster than my V2. Lol!!! With the stock 380 motor. I am extremely pleased!!!!
the m-four is amazing... love mine
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by torg
the m-four is amazing... love mine
Awesome!!

Oh man, I am in love with my M-Four! TC handling...literally. Completely blown away.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

only the internal shock diamater is slightly larger (0.5mm). You can use the same springs, but not the same pistons. New pistons are 3 hole only. My calipers might not be the best, but I got a reading that my old mini shocks were slightly deeper (0.5mm). So if my rough math is accurate.. the new shocks internal volume increased ~13.5%

The kit come with the mini black springs. 2 red and 2 yellow. they are identical to my existing black mini springs. In dimensions and spring gauge reading.

Shock collar can go up a bit higher.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Interesting. Good work. It looks like the bore diameter has been increased by 0.5mm, leading to a 10% increase in capacity. Amazingly small change in diameter to gain that much!

Very happy to see the springs can be carried over! I don't suppose they included a list of part numbers for spares?

Last edited by monkeyracing; 04-07-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
Just an observation and comment o the big bore shocks. I am going to assume from the name and comments about the springs, the shocks have a larger oil capacity. I tried the 54000 and did not like them at all. The longer TC type shocks worked much better for the types of racing I was doing. The larger oil capacity seemed to "mellow" out the shock action. The actual stroke of the shock remained the same, but the longer shock body allowed for a larger volume of oil. If you think it thru, you'll figure out why this is.

I suspect that if you've been using the 54000 shock, you'll like the big bore shock on the proviso that the appropriate springs are available. Although, you could probably get the same type of shock action by replacing your existing 54000 shock body with the appropriate TC shock body for a lot less money and use the springs in your present collection. You just have to shim the shock an extra 2mm.
Hi Granpa

Considering my car is setup pretty low, I bet I am only using no more than 30-40% of the total stroke of the CVA SuperMini's. That said, the extra oil available with the big boars in that same 30-40% travel would benefit..?

For the 54000 for my V2 down the road, it will only happen as a replacement. I run aftermarket pistons in the V2's stock dampers and it works very well as is..

Aren't all the M chassis alloy dampers (except for the big bore) the same, but different colours? I've got my old, silver/bronze coloured set (92227) and set of newer, blue ones (54000). Parts interchange between them, bodies look alike. The only physical difference I've noticed is the 54000 has some knurling on the cap.

Anyway, I'd like to see the difference with the big bores. What situation would they be best in?
Hummm... I have no idea. I remember reading somewhere that these 54000 are longer than the Super Mini CVA's.. Since I run my cars low I don't want a longer casing. Short but fatter (big boar) are welcome.

Originally Posted by torg
only the internal shock diamater is slightly larger (0.5mm). You can use the same springs, but not the same pistons. New pistons are 3 hole only. My calipers might not be the best, but I got a reading that my old mini shocks were slightly deeper (0.5mm). So if my rough math is accurate.. the new shocks internal volume increased ~13.5%

The kit come with the mini black springs. 2 red and 2 yellow. they are identical to my existing black mini springs. In dimensions and spring gauge reading.

Shock collar can go up a bit higher.
Very cool info, torg! Thanks!. I should just measure the length of the dampers that came with my M-Four and compare it with the Super Mini CVA's. If they are the same length, then I am definitely going for the big bores!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.