Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Specs?

So there is no technical reason why the Tekin 21.5t motor is not allowed? Why are specific manufacturers products required and not just objective specifications laid out? This aspect is what bothers me most about VTA - it's anti-competitive and not fair to manufacturers (and maybe I don't like certain brands but have no choice if I want to run VTA).
Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It's the "Motor/ESC/Battery/Body/Tire of the Week" mentality.

Most RC car guys believe that what wins on sunday is what i absolutely must go buy on monday. Limit the options and you lower the cost and frustration of racing.

These same BUY BUY BUY guys are the same ones who should spend more time on setup, skills and car maintenance.

That my not be "technical" enough, but it sure is philosophical enough.

Originally Posted by Gris
So there is no technical reason why the Tekin 21.5t motor is not allowed? Why are specific manufacturers products required and not just objective specifications laid out? This aspect is what bothers me most about VTA - it's anti-competitive and not fair to manufacturers (and maybe I don't like certain brands but have no choice if I want to run VTA).
Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I for one is more happy with the VTA class , than ever...things are really good now....where is the new bodies....HPI?...

Scale Nats around the corner
Old 04-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Here we go again

I'd venture that about 3500 of the 8500 posts on this thread start with, "Why can't I ..." This ain't Formula 1. Hell, it ain't even NASCAR.

VTA is a fun class. The competition is on the track and in the pits, not at the ATM. The tight product spec is a big help to a new racer. He can take the one-page rules sheet to his LHS and get an outfit with a minimum of fuss. It's also great for experienced racers who'd rather spend time testing the effect of bacon fat in ball cups than downloading the latest and greatest turbo profile on their turbo laptop with $500 worth of data logging software.

VTA is a state-of-mind. If you like the realistic look, the nostalgia, the camaraderie and the close racing, belly up to the bar and have a drink. It helps to be a cheap bastard as well.

There are plenty of other classes to run where you can get your jollies in a full-on gear war. I respect those guys and if I ever get the VTA grin off my face, I might join them. Until then, I'm lovin' VTA the way it is. Robk has done a marvelous job.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The original announcement of a legal 21.5 is on page 82. Discussion of other 21.5's starts about page 134 and is answered by ApexSpeed on page 135. Since then there are now Roar approved 21.5's and this has been answered again later in the thread (you can read through and find that or wait for someone to answer it). I can pretty much guarantee you though that this issue will get "zero" discussion time with the powers that be since the class is going to 25.5.

Now if we all want to know how the discussion for other manufacturer's 25.5's will go, just start reading around page 134. I'm sure the discussion will go about the same as the 21.5's.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhberger
I'd venture that about 3500 of the 8500 posts on this thread start with, "Why can't I ..." This ain't Formula 1. Hell, it ain't even NASCAR.
It was kinda fun going back a watching people bitch about not being able to use 6 cell nimhs with a 21.5. pg 82 it starts if you are interested.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

VTA is a fun class. The competition is on the track and in the pits, not at the ATM. The tight product spec is a big help to a new racer. He can take the one-page rules sheet to his LHS and get an outfit with a minimum of fuss. It's also great for experienced racers who'd rather spend time testing the effect of bacon fat in ball cups than downloading the latest and greatest turbo profile on their turbo laptop with $500 worth of data logging software.

VTA is a state-of-mind. If you like the realistic look, the nostalgia, the camaraderie and the close racing, belly up to the bar and have a drink. It helps to be a cheap bastard as well.

There are plenty of other classes to run where you can get your jollies in a full-on gear war. I respect those guys and if I ever get the VTA grin off my face, I might join them. Until then, I'm lovin' VTA the way it is. Robk has done a marvelous job.
Cheap bastard???? Finally a class thats fun and fits my budget...woo hoo..team homer is back!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I should make a vinyl for my car...

"Cheap Bastard Racing"
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pejota

"Cheap Bastard Racing"
that would look good on the front/rear spoiler...i'll take 2
"Team C.B.R. "
Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pejota

"Cheap Bastard Racing"
All you Bastards can get in line behind me
Old 04-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Someone should quote this and put it in the USVTA website. Just absolutley perfect way to describe VTA.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by padailey
It was kinda fun going back a watching people bitch about not being able to use 6 cell nimhs with a 21.5. pg 82 it starts if you are interested.
I'm working on a lipo-style hardcase for NiMh side-by-sides. Looks just like a lipo and is impossible to detect, even by the most watchful VTA officials. Now you can have all the extra benefits of NiMh, like the fun of using all those dischargers, zappers, voodoo rezappers, balance trays and flex chargers. You'll only need 6 or so for a race day, and they weigh only 150 grams more than a lipo. What's not to like?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

All you Bastards can get in line behind me
talk to pejota hes in charge of decals for "cheap bastard racing"
Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
talk to pejota hes in charge of decals for "cheap bastard racing"
If Quentin Tarantino joined the team we'd have to call it Cheep Basterds
Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There's a real technical reason: It is a spec class. We are not ROAR, who has to be "fair" to manufacturers. The idea is this motor, these tires, one of these escs, and any car you have. That way the "green gas tank" syndrome does not start...If one guy wins with a green gas tank, everybody has one next week.

If somehow the Tekin motor was better (and I'm sure it is a fine product), then a lot of people will feel they need to buy this to be competitive. You could watch 13.5 class and see everybody start with Novaks and Orions, ditch the Orions, then buy Trinity Duos, then try Pulses, then go back to Duos, then try Duo2s, and then buy Ballistic motors. That is not the scenario we want or need.

As far as the new HPI tire being longer lasting, it may be. I was just pointing out the tread depth is shallower, which would be detrimental if you have a tread requirement at your track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.