Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
There are no plans for another trophy race this year however on the northside of Indy they are running outdoor(parkinglot) racing all summer It gets a pretty good following plus if you wanted to make a weekend of it we are going to run at the big rug on friday nights thru out the summer and that way you would have saturday to take a look around town and then the parking lot races are on sundays....

I'm pretty sure Cordell will be having a couple trophy races at Hobbytown.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old 04-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

hey rob - is there a reason why the newer tread pattern'ed HPI vintage slicks aren't legal?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102994/

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102993/

i'm asking because I have one person at my track is asking me for a 'technical' reason why they aren't allowed since the are the same compound per HPI, just different tread patterns

thanks!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
There are no plans for another trophy race this year however on the northside of Indy they are running outdoor(parkinglot) racing all summer It gets a pretty good following plus if you wanted to make a weekend of it we are going to run at the big rug on friday nights thru out the summer and that way you would have saturday to take a look around town and then the parking lot races are on sundays....
sounds good..thx

Originally Posted by trerc
I'm pretty sure Cordell will be having a couple trophy races at Hobbytown.
sounds just as good...keep us informed

also on the tires...I ran a set for testing Sunday and it didnt make much difference on the carpet...the set I have, the side wall is a little stiffer, but the car was slower in my lap times....I dont think its worth the hassel of having another thing to deal with...the tires we run now have worked for years...the performace tires will only add another "dang it" to the class...imo
Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dang it Rob - If I knew you were going to posterize me I would have grown a moustache.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xevias
Dang it Rob - If I knew you were going to posterize me I would have grown a moustache.
Rollie Fingers has that covered....
Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Rollie Fingers has that covered....
And the Techno-Viking's 'stache has a FEW people covered!!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
hey rob - is there a reason why the newer tread pattern'ed HPI vintage slicks aren't legal?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102994/

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102993/

i'm asking because I have one person at my track is asking me for a 'technical' reason why they aren't allowed since the are the same compound per HPI, just different tread patterns

thanks!
Technically, i don't want to mess up a good thing

The thing is, the tire works now, and there is no need to confuse anyone, or put the FUD principle into play. If the guy who puts these things on his car happens to do well, now everybody at the track is going to rush out and buy them, even if he would have done well with banana peels on his rims...

From what i can tell, the tread is also shallower, which would mean they will go bald faster. This may not matter to everyone, but some races I have been at also require there to be tread remaining on the tire, which makes these shorter life tires for some.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

about the same reponse at my track that I tell anyone that wants to get a 21.5 other then novak. I don't want the hassle of making things confussing. just get a novak and get over it.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

so after september can i still use a gtb? or is the havok all that will be "legal"?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The GTB and the Havok are pretty much the same thing. But the Tekin RS and hot speedos like that will no longer be in play.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

This really gripes me. " Can you give me the technical reason I can' run _____" There is always some clowns that can't stand to be limited by rules. They always want that secret edge. A track has to have some gonads and draw the line in the sand. Here is the specs-Now deal with it.

Just like the short course truck wars going on now. I commend a local track taking the stand.
No this is a Traxxas stock slash class period. I got 40 guys that bought Traxxas and it is not fair to them to allow other trucks. I can't help it you went an bought a different brand..............Find a different track........I have read some tracks are perfectly happy with 21.5 VTA and won't make the switch to 25.5. I am fine with that. I know my local track is wanting to host a national race and will require the motor change.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

This really gripes me. " Can you give me the technical reason I can' run _____" There is always some clowns that can't stand to be limited by rules. They always want that secret edge. A track has to have some gonads and draw the line in the sand. Here is the specs-Now deal with it.

Just like the short course truck wars going on now. I commend a local track taking the stand.
No this is a Traxxas stock slash class period. I got 40 guys that bought Traxxas and it is not fair to them to allow other trucks. I can't help it you went an bought a different brand..............Find a different track........I have read some tracks are perfectly happy with 21.5 VTA and won't make the switch to 25.5. I am fine with that. I know my local track is wanting to host a national race and will require the motor change.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Technically, i don't want to mess up a good thing

The thing is, the tire works now, and there is no need to confuse anyone, or put the FUD principle into play. If the guy who puts these things on his car happens to do well, now everybody at the track is going to rush out and buy them, even if he would have done well with banana peels on his rims...

From what i can tell, the tread is also shallower, which would mean they will go bald faster. This may not matter to everyone, but some races I have been at also require there to be tread remaining on the tire, which makes these shorter life tires for some.
works for me

that's interesting you say about the tread wearing out quick-ish...I believe HPI says they are a longer lasting compound

either way, I figure there's a logical reason why they aren't 'legal' in the big realm of things
Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by speedster1919
couldn't agree with you more We took a stand and knocked out timing/boost for this season and it couldn't have made racing better...

i've had to take a stand on motors (why just the novak), bodies, gearing, and now the silly question about the tires...

sticking to a set of rules will only make the track/racing program stronger

the one think we aren't doing in September is the switch to the 25.5 rules - maybe after christmas or after indoor season, just because of the cost factor for most of the guys that only run 1 electric class (VTA) and have no interest in running other electric TC classes and recently bought the tekin speedo....but we'll have a discussion at the end of outdoor and see where we wanna go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.