Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
After seeing Speedpassion in Europe sell a speedo for ~$65 (49 euros) to help out the ETS, I'm hoping Novak steps up to the plate with an uber cheap offering as well. *Hint* *Hint* or Tekin, or whoever! Just if you're going to require us to use an obsolete ESC, it better be cheap! and cheaper than a motor!!
I am hoping that the Speed Passion will be at least tested and considered, I bought and tried the Novak and to say the least I'm less than impressed with the brakes the unit offers and after talking to some of the other Novak guys it sounds like this is pretty normal with Novaks. I'm all for a spec ESC but I'd like to see other non programmable offerings tested and possibly accepted just as some of the standard features may be a little better (such as brakes).
Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
I have what may be a stupid newb vta question guys. I have a novak brushless motor, its a 13.5. Can I just change the rotor/stator whatever its now called, and put in a 21.5 or a 25.5? I am on a very limited budget but trying to get a brushless system together on the cheap for my ride.
You can if its a Novak Ballistic motor. If its an SS motor, your out of luck. Easiest way to tell is Ballistic is black with orange band and SS is silver with purple band.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If it is a Novak ballistic you can just change the stator. If it is an SS you can use Novak exchange program to get a new SS 25.5 and an afordable price. You send your 13.5 motor to Novak along with $40 - $50 and Novak sends you a 25.5 motor. You can check Novaks website for details and instructions.

I have what may be a stupid newb vta question guys. I have a novak brushless motor, its a 13.5. Can I just change the rotor/stator whatever its now called, and put in a 21.5 or a 25.5? I am on a very limited budget but trying to get a brushless system together on the cheap for my ride.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys...much appreciated
Old 04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
After seeing Speedpassion in Europe sell a speedo for ~$65 (49 euros) to help out the ETS, I'm hoping Novak steps up to the plate with an uber cheap offering as well. *Hint* *Hint* or Tekin, or whoever! Just if you're going to require us to use an obsolete ESC, it better be cheap! and cheaper than a motor!!
Paul--Novak's LIST price on the Havoc Sport/Spec is right at $60...looks like they stepped RIGHT up to the plate to me.

Better yet, when bought in combo with a $80 motor for $120 total the esc is down to about $40...or take $10 off each piece and figure the motor is now $70 and the esc is $50. Either way, Novak has made the price of competing as "cheap" as it needs to be.

Originally Posted by trerc
I bought and tried the Novak and to say the least I'm less than impressed with the brakes the unit offers and after talking to some of the other Novak guys it sounds like this is pretty normal with Novaks. I'm all for a spec ESC but I'd like to see other non programmable offerings tested and possibly accepted just as some of the standard features may be a little better (such as brakes).
I would be the LAST person to step up and say that the brakes on my Novak GTB's or Havocs are particularly powerful...they aren't. BUT, that said, if everyone is running the same relative "disadvantage" is it really any sort of "disadvantage"? Kinda like everyone in NASCAR runs a carburetor because that's what the sanctioning body has limited the technology to. Rightly or wrongly, the argument NASCAR uses is that it keeps costs down (though I've seen arguments both ways). Anyone worth their salt KNOWS that modern computer-mapped fuel injections systems produce WAY better performance and do so with WAY better fuel economy, but is anyone racing in NASCAR at any sort of a performance disadvantage BECAUSE the technology is limited?

Something to think about anyway. My own opinion is that more options aren't needed...they don't improve the desired end product (closer racing) in any way. All they do is create opportunities for folks to have the "perception" that they got beaten because they didn't have this particular esc or whatever.

Last edited by Scottrik; 04-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Paul--Novak's LIST price on the Havoc Sport/Spec is right at $60...looks like they stepped RIGHT up to the plate to me.

Better yet, when bought in combo with a $80 motor for $120 total the esc is down to about $40...or take $10 off each piece and figure the motor is now $70 and the esc is $50. Either way, Novak has made the price of competing as "cheap" as it needs to be.

I would be the LAST person to step up and say that the brakes on my Novak GTB's or Havocs are particularly powerful...they aren't. BUT, that said, if everyone is running the same relative "disadvantage" is it really any sort of "disadvantage"? Kinda like everyone in NASCAR runs a carburetor because that's what the sanctioning body has limited the technology to. Rightly or wrongly, the argument NASCAR uses is that it keeps costs down (though I've seen arguments both ways). Anyone worth their salt KNOWS that modern computer-mapped fuel injections systems produce WAY better performance and do so with WAY better fuel economy, but is anyone racing in NASCAR at any sort of a performance disadvantage BECAUSE the technology is limited?

Something to think about anyway. My own opinion is that more options aren't needed...they don't improve the desired end product (closer racing) in any way. All they do is create opportunities for folks to have the "perception" that they got beaten because they didn't have this particular esc or whatever.
good point..very good point...Ive heard ppl not liking this or that brand..but I always thought that if me and you both ran the same stuff...the only reason to not do well is driver and setup....problem solved
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik

Ahhh That's good. Didn't even see that. On Stormer, they have a 1s and 3s listed. Not seeing a normal sport level, just figured we had to stick with the normal Havoc.

Thanks for the pointer.

Paul
Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the Havok series or GTB's are going to work great...even for now...removing my SPX to get a Havok Pro for VTA.........
Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know if all gtb are lipo ready? in that i mean do they have lipo cutoff?
Thanks again guys
Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Does anyone know if all gtb are lipo ready? in that i mean do they have lipo cutoff?
Thanks again guys
This information is available via Novaks website, I took the liberty of digging it up for you.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/gtb/index.html
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No, not all... I guess the early ones lacked that feature... however, we don't even get close to the low voltage after back to back 5 minute qualifiers...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

No, not all GTB's are "LiPo Ready"...in fact I'd guess that the majority of them out there aren't as that feature wasn't offered until the GTB was on the verge of being overshadowed, performance-wise, by the next gen esc's.

Here's a pic Novak put out some time back that show the back side of a "LiPo Ready" GTB compared to an earlier unit and you can clearly see the components that are added for the LiPo cutoff. If you can convince someone to take the lead solder warning sticker off the back and take a well-lit pic you can be certain whether the unit you're buying is or is not LiPo Ready.

That said, for racing applications "LiPo Ready" isn't needed by any means. Even a 2400mah LiPo will power a VTA car for 12-15 minutes. "LiPo Ready" or LiPo cutoffs are excellent for bashers because it keeps them from over-discharging a battery, but for racing the time frame of a race (plus warm-up, etc) is far less than the amount of time even the lowest mah packs are capable of. Even if you're practicing, practicing beyond 12-15 minutes isn't really telling you anything relevant...everything (including you) is past it's "sweet spot" and you're just chasing your tail.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-gtbs-side_by_side.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Again...thanks for the help guys...I have an opportunity to get a GTB for $60 thinking of going for it
Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

which kind of motor do you all think has more kick ballistic or SS motors
Old 04-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks again guys
I'm running one of the earlier model GTB's in my RCGT car. It does not have lipo cut-off and I'm not using an external cut-off. I have had no problems running the non-lipo cut-off GTB with a 5000mah lipo and 17.5 motor. I'm pulling around 1500 mah out of the battery running 7-8 minutes (includes warm-up laps).

I would recommend that a novice/new to lipo racer use a lipo cut-off. If you are an experienced racer and know not to run the battery down, you shouldn't have any problem running a speed control without lipo cut-off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.