Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Which was pretty much my point... the Tekin running 183 software without any extra boost is at a disadvantage to the Havok and GTB.
i suppose that's the thing - our/my rules were v200 or earlier...and i think pretty much everyone was running v200 and the occassional v198 - no one here was running a version as old as that...if they were and i knew about it, i would have updated them to something more recent
Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
To carry your inaccurate synopsis a bit further...what kind of piece of $hit did Tekin create that it can't beat the GTB in a straight-up fight? Heck, the GTB was around for 4 years before the RS broke cover.

ACTUALLY, there are far more variables at work...what happened at SloBirds (it sounds like) is that the esc got taken out of the equation. Driver and set-up differences ruled the day which is EXACTLY what one would hope for.

Also sounds like the top five were close close close, which included Tekins. When the cars are THAT close together a small error (often VERY small) is the difference between first and fifth.
I wouldn't go as far as to call the RS a P.O.S I mean we're all well aware that the GTB doesn't have anything on the RS when tuned. I mean it's pretty amazing that even 2 years after it's release it continues to be 'the' esc to have and that so far that SAME esc has been able to beat anything that anyone else has been able to produce, I call that innovative.

Also I didn't say I was doing any type of "testing" as I am well aware that there are far to many variables with the given situation to even consider it to be testing. Maybe it will be better said like this. It was a mere observation made by me that a GTB powered Associated shaft car geared at 4.3 was able to pull a non boosted RS powered Associated shaft car also geared at 4.3 down a 100' backstretch.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pulling a car down a backstretch has alot of variables the least of which is entrance speed to the straight area.

Other than they both being geared the same can you provide physical motor timing for both cars? This would be the most obvious difference in speed if they were both geared the same.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

My point was that the Tekin RS has NEVER been at any sort of disadvantage to any GTB in any measure of performance. Ever. When the RS first came out they did just fine against the GTB's...in fact they won more than not as much as anything because many of the better drivers were the first to buy them. This before any great "updates".

If your car was being beaten by a GTB-powered car it wasn't because of the esc.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

I'm running stock motor timing (or very close to it) not sure on the other car.

Again I know that there are too many variables here to make an accurate statement, I guess I just thought it was worth mentioning since I thought it was kinda exciting to actually see a GTB pull a Tekin in a race, it is kinda rare ya know. All the Tekin guys are working to make things a little tighter in the class.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

If your car was being beaten by a GTB-powered car it wasn't because of the esc.
Yes I realize this, I know there are many other reasons such as motor timing or the fact that it was the 1st weekend I ran the car, or the fact that the car wasn't as fast in the infield as it could've been since it was in desperate need of a sway bar (which the shop didnt have)...variables...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Got a question:

I recently switched over to havoc ESCs in my two VTA cars. One with be running a Novak Ballistic 21.5 and the other a Tekin 21.5. Both seemed to act similar on the track with my previous speed passion setups, so I am thinking my questions could apply to both, but assume primarily the Ballistic.

So, with the Havoc, what do you guys see as motor timing settings and FDRs that work with the Ballistic 21.5s?

As there is no timing advance on the ESC, I was thinking of turning the timing up on the motor, and then going with a smaller pinion to make up the punch.

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by lowcel
Off topic but just wanted to say that it was nice meeting you this weekend and watching you race. Congrats on a great result as well, your car looked great going around that tight track.
thanks..I really had a blast...cait wait to race with you guys again...hope you can come down for the On-road Finale in Mar 2010

Originally Posted by robk

USVTA TRANS AM - RCGT - F1 - MINI

THE SCALE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Details to follow

Im there VTA and RCGT...lets pump some eneregy into on-road racing again...

oops..SCALE ON-ROAD RACING!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
thanks..I really had a blast...cait wait to race with you guys again...hope you can come down for the On-road Finale in Mar 2010
Thanks, that's a pretty decent drive from Charleston, WV but I'll think about it.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Whats up everyone, just letting the guys know who race the Losi XXX-S in VTA, there is a new thread started solely for that car. Really good info so far!http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...k-classes.html
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by lowcel
Thanks, that's a pretty decent drive from Charleston, WV but I'll think about it.

YEP!...thats a drive..lol...but if nothing else..we can all meet in Chi-town for the Nats....Scale Nats that is....YUMMY!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

To carry your inaccurate synopsis a bit further...what kind of piece of $hit did Tekin create that it can't beat the GTB in a straight-up fight? Heck, the GTB was around for 4 years before the RS broke cover.

ACTUALLY, there are far more variables at work...what happened at SloBirds (it sounds like) is that the esc got taken out of the equation. Driver and set-up differences ruled the day which is EXACTLY what one would hope for.

Also sounds like the top five were close close close, which included Tekins. When the cars are THAT close together a small error (often VERY small) is the difference between first and fifth.
Why do you have to be a jerk when a statement is made you dont agree with?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Scottrik;6945543]To carry your inaccurate synopsis a bit further...what kind of piece of $hit did Tekin create that it can't beat the GTB in a straight-up fight? =QUOTE]

Scott,

Why do you feel the need to be so abraisive? Even I bristled at this statement and I have been know to be a bit abraisive myself in local circles.

Are the kids more difficult to handle at school lately? Do you run out of hot water mid shower this morning? Did you dog run off with the neighborhood cat? Did someone "P" in your cheerios?

Ever since the Holliday break you have been a bit hard on USVTA folks here. Just a friendly bit of advise from someone who has personally crossed the line in the past. You need to back it down a notch or two Scott.

I know you don't mean to be mean.

Please take the previous as friendly advise. You have very valid opinions and advice, but your tone has the effect of diminishing your important messages.

I have learned, sometime it is best to decide if you are furthering the discussion or just 'back away from the keyboard' .

You friend.... Marty
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lugnutz1
Why do you have to be a jerk when a statement is made you dont agree with?
Hmmm...how to respond.

Part of me wants to say, "Mostly because I can, and a little bit because it appears to wind up folks like you.

Another part of me wants to say, "Because I've refined it to such a level of art that I don't have to call people names when I do it...unlike you".

But what I think I'll go ahead and say is, "Read your reply. Look up 'irony' in the dictionary. See any similarities?"

Please notice that trerc seems to have taken what I said in the light it was offered up...so perhaps you've gotten your panties in a wad over nothing?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for taking time out to announce the lineup at the slowbirds Rob. It was greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.