Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Now I need a RCGT also. First you killed VTA and now this!
Thanks Rob.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any chance of these Scale Championships being held during the Summer?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Proof that zero ESC timing makes for great racing for MORE of the field. The fast guys were still fast, but more of them were battling for the lead! The podium was occupied by a TC3, a mid-motor JRXS and a tub chassis Tamiya. Congrats to John Brown from Brownie's Hobbies on Staten Island, he drove a great race in heavy traffic with many lead changes to take the win on the last lap! And somehow, RobK was with us despite the 1,000mi gap.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

was a nice surprise to get RobK to call out the starting lineup for the "A" main

Rau Murray pulls out all the stops

Greg - we also had a couple of Pro4's, an original cyclone, a cyclone S, kyosho stallion

no timing/no boost makes the VTA an 'equal' class again
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
was a nice surprise to get RobK to call out the starting lineup for the "A" main

Rau Murray pulls out all the stops

Greg - we also had a couple of Pro4's, an original cyclone, a cyclone S, kyosho stallion

no timing/no boost makes the VTA an 'equal' class again
Found this weekend that my Tekin powered TC4 with 15 clicks of timing was pretty much on par with a TC3 running a GTB both cars geared similar at 4.3. The Tekin without any additional timing isn't as fast as the GTB, at least what I am seeing.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trerc
Found this weekend that my Tekin powered TC4 with 15 clicks of timing was pretty much on par with a TC3 running a GTB both cars geared similar at 4.3. The Tekin without any additional timing isn't as fast as the GTB, at least what I am seeing.
interesting...gotta look at the times for yesterday's race...everything was very equal with ZERO on both for the Tekin guys...
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Rob,

I am deeply honored to have my likeness portrayed on the new Trans-Am colage. Thank you very very much!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think this looks like a super fun class, and if there is any going on my area I'm gonna do it for sure. I know a couple of the guys posting here are local to me, so I'm hopeful!

re: the great ESC debate...lots of people are talking about this (and not just for this class) , and I think the OEM's could go a long way on this by agreeing among themselves to put, say, a blue LED on the case and a microswitch. To tech the car you push the button once to go into tech mode, then press and hold. If the light flashes 3 times, that signifies that the timing advance and turbo, etc. features are turned off (maybe that action even zeros out those settings). This would be very easy to do, easy to make pretty highly cheat resistant (that's why I added in the button and the flashing, rather than a steady blue light), and wouldn't affect any functionality.

Another way would be to have an extra post on the ESC, and if your motor is using that one, it's out of the loop re: the timing advances etc. Relatively easy to manufacture, easy to visually tech, and not a huge cost difference.

I'm just thinking out loud, and the fact is that cheaters are gonna cheat, but for the vast majority of people this would be more than enough to keep people honest. The goal here is to make it so experienced folks with high-dollar gear can still use it if they want, new racers can buy one high end ESC if they want (for future class changing) or they can go with the less expensive stuff, but either way, the ESC playing field would be about as level as you're gonna get.

Personally I'd pay an extra $10 for an ESC that had this feature if it were adopted.

I know, pie in the sky, eh? It's just a thought.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I never thought I would see the day with a flier that has Boba Fett, David Hasselhoff, Ronald Regan, Sgt. Schultz, and Techno Viking!

I mean, who do you root for?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
I never thought I would see the day with a flier that has Boba Fett, David Hasselhoff, Ronald Regan, Sgt. Schultz, and Techno Viking!

I mean, who do you root for?

They're all winners man
Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sorry, but anyone involved in any kind of testing will tell you, has to be exactly the same equipment with one variable to be valid.

Same car/driver, just change the esc.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This past weekend saw some great VTA racing in Indianapolis at the R/Car track at the Marion County Fairgrounds. The Tekin guys have turned their turbo off and that has moved the Novak GTB/Havok back into contention. Top 3 racer's best 20 laps were virtually identical and all finished within a few seconds of each other in the A-main.

Best part of the day was watching a father helping his pre-teen son improve over the course of the day. Not only did his son win the bump-up from the B-Main, he was challenging for 2nd place in the A.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Sorry, but anyone involved in any kind of testing will tell you, has to be exactly the same equipment with one variable to be valid.

Same car/driver, just change the esc.
that's true...I'm trying to get the qualifying print-outs from the SJCCR Slowbirds from the past weekend...that should show how close/far apart the 0 timing/turbo tekin is compared to the Novak stuff

it won't be a TRUE test, but it will show how close the times can be..

I know at the Slowbirds TQ was a Novak havok, (I think) a Novak GTB, and my Tekin RS, not sure about 4th and a Tekin RS in 5th

so our 'little' pre-outdoor season test proved to be very useful to us - now if I can 'pester' Randy and tekin, maybe we can get that tekin spec-class firmware out
Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar
that's true...I'm trying to get the qualifying print-outs from the SJCCR Slowbirds from the past weekend...that should show how close/far apart the 0 timing/turbo tekin is compared to the Novak stuff

it won't be a TRUE test, but it will show how close the times can be..

I know at the Slowbirds TQ was a Novak havok, (I think) a Novak GTB, and my Tekin RS, not sure about 4th and a Tekin RS in 5th

so our 'little' pre-outdoor season test proved to be very useful to us - now if I can 'pester' Randy and tekin, maybe we can get that tekin spec-class firmware out
Which was pretty much my point... the Tekin running 183 software without any extra boost is at a disadvantage to the Havok and GTB.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Which was pretty much my point... the Tekin running 183 software without any extra boost is at a disadvantage to the Havok and GTB.
To carry your inaccurate synopsis a bit further...what kind of piece of $hit did Tekin create that it can't beat the GTB in a straight-up fight? Heck, the GTB was around for 4 years before the RS broke cover.

ACTUALLY, there are far more variables at work...what happened at SloBirds (it sounds like) is that the esc got taken out of the equation. Driver and set-up differences ruled the day which is EXACTLY what one would hope for.

Also sounds like the top five were close close close, which included Tekins. When the cars are THAT close together a small error (often VERY small) is the difference between first and fifth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.