Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Kyew
some observations:

1.masami's car had some pieces of lexan to direct some airflow to cool the motor. wonder if it really does help.
2. he seems to be using soft front springs (black or is it silver?) and stiff rear (green) springs. looks like his solution for understeer when using non one ways?
3. he is using a simpler colour scheme (just green and white) for his bodyshell which is different from past cars.
Adding to the list :

1) Alfa Romeo bodyshell used. (protoform? version 2?)
2) The front springs are stainless steel.
3) MASAMI DID NOT USE THE CENTER STIFFENER!!!!

For better clarity pics, please log on to Yokomo USA
Old 05-26-2003, 09:50 PM
R/C Tech Founder

A stiff chassis is not always what you want on an asphault surface. On carpet -- rubber OR foam -- you want it to be as stiff as possible. Outside, it's more of a driver's preference.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I was wondering if possibly for a little different feel if the stiffener could be mounted right to the chassis and eliminate the posts, would that be stiffer, or allow more flex?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Wink Masamis video

Sorry I most have posted the wrong link
http://www.yokomousa.com/newproducts...ee2003_x27.mpg

Is ther any moore pictures from the reedy 2003 yet ?? I would love to se some more pictures off SD cars
Old 05-27-2003, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. greetings from Malta.

Just been catching up on the last 24 hours on this fast thread. Well done and keep it up. it's all so helpful.

RANDMAN. To try to answer your questions.

FAN. I use a small 12 volt computer fan. If you can find a 5 volt one it will be better, and I know they are around. Just haven't been able to locate more than 1. That one is fitted to my belt drive MR4. Another thing to look out for is as low a wattage or amperage as possible.

As far as battery drain is concerned I can tell you that I fitted a similar 12 volt fan on my son's TC3. He runs 9 and 10 turn motors in 5 minute mod races with 3000 cells - and still gets plenty of duration and speed. The fan's consumption is negligible.

As far as connecting the fan is concerned, there are a number of ways you can do it. I just went straight onto the red and black lugs on the Novak GT7 speedo. This means that the fan is on when the cells are connected. I don't like the idea od hard soldering my cells. Instead I use good quality Corally gold connectors for all my cells, and I don't think I loose much in terms of resistance. If you solder your cells in then pass one of the fan wires through the speedo switch but check whether the switch is on the pos or the neg side. I can't remember offhand. The last alternative is on the motor wires but as you say that means your fan only works with the throttle.

SHOCK CAPS. I use TC3 shocks on my MR4s as they are slightly longer, but i have fitted the new type caps on these. They are a straight fit and they are so much easier to bleed. They also seem to give the shocks a very nice consistant action.

SHOCK TOWERS. Front and rear are interchangeable. I intend to try a rear tower up front but havent got that far with testing and developement. I also intend playing with different roll bars, but it all takes so much time.

However I have to say that already I can say that in just 3 weeks i have got the SD handling as well as the BD so the progress is certainly going in the right direction.

DRIVE SHAFTS. If you stick to the kit stub axles and fit the old type (BD) MR4 rear alloy drive shafts, they are a perfect fit all round. I have done that on mine since new and have had no trouble. See photos in previous page.

WEIGHT. At scrutineering last Sunday my car weighed in at 1512 grams, excluding transponder. That's with alloy battery hold down and motor heatsink adding weight, and alloy drive shafts, titanium screws, and carbon prop shaft reducing weight. So i'm happy with that.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Tech Regular

Masami had a green graphite car for practice and a gold graphite for racing i thght that was really cool.

On my 4 Qualifier i broke both front drive cups andf i thght that was really wierd and i didnt have the parts for that so i went to the yok pit area and Tosilini (spelling) was there and he said that he dont run the stock ones for that reason but he hooked me up with a few sets of the stock ones and that made my day.

Thats why i drive YOKOMO
Old 05-27-2003, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by futureal
A stiff chassis is not always what you want on an asphault surface. On carpet -- rubber OR foam -- you want it to be as stiff as possible. Outside, it's more of a driver's preference.
Yup, I know. Personal experience is that my plastic tub chassis MR4 tends to be more forgiving than my SSG SD , on a painted tennis court at least.
But I do find that the stiffer chassis to be more responsive and seems to be a touch easier to reel back in once I breach the limits.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Chris, did Toso say which drive cups he does run? That may be something I look into getting for my SD.

Thanks for the info on the CVD's...I will use the stock front axle and just add the Alum Bone.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2003, 08:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Johnbull- Thanks for your wealth of information, I will try to look up a 5 volt fan online and just order it that way, somebody has to have em. What if I were to wire the fan into the wires that go from the ESC to power the RX, I believe that is a constant 6 volt power source, and since the fan has so little power draw, it propably wouldn't affect anything bieng plugged in there.

Hopefully Speedtech will get my stuff out to me today, and that's one day sooner I can plan on bieng at the track, getting anxious at this point.

I tried getting a hold of Rainbowten to get a 1 way, and it looks like every other American has too, because they are out. Anyone else have an idea of there I can find one?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:02 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Jeff, Chris was using a 1way that he had locked up somehow. I used standard diff parts with the losi sandpaper disks to lock it.

I will have my setup from the Reedy race posted later today.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

~Jeff~

I didnt ask him what he ran we were talking about the ones off the old car the universals and i looked at his car later and i thats what he was running
Old 05-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey Mo: Joey, Robert and I (Carl) might be @ Speedworld this weekend. Btw congrats for making the "A" main!
Old 05-27-2003, 11:50 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That would be great, Carl. The Speedworld Cup is going to be huge. Baker, Kinwald, Hodge, Tossolini and more said they would be coming also. There are already around 120 entries before them. Looks like we will be doing some night racing on Saturday.

I have just uploaded my Reedy Race setup to my web site for those that are interested. www.mo-net.ws
Old 05-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Matt you feel that the spool with the losi pads held out fine? Have not raced much with a spool but after seeing the Factory guys run them in Tulsa, I am leaning towards building one. Do you run one on a weekly race setting?

Jeff
Old 05-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Jeff- I ran the spool with the losi pads all weekend long at the norrca nats and there was hardly any wear at all, no more than when I ran a diff up front. I view the spool as a tuning aid like a oneway or a diff up front. The car is really different to drive with the spool because you need to set your car up with alot of turn-in steering because the spool will take that away. It steers on-power like a oneway and is way easier to drive consistently compared to a oneway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.