Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Need rookie setup help...........

Here's my story. Purchased a TC5 a few months back and thought I would run rubber tire as it was a new class at my local track. We'll after about 6 weeks or so the rubber tire thing hasn't picked up and I couldn't for the life of me get my TC5 to handle, dispite may hours of tinkering. The biggest issue is my local carpet track is 95% Corally Phi's. So I'm basically the only TC5.

So I decided that the Foam class would be a bit easier to drive? Can anyone recommend a Rookie carpet foam setup for my TC5? I saw Robk's post, should I just follow that?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
RobK's post on the set up they were using for the Novak races shows that they used Losi 56 and 57 pistons in the shocks......I really dont want to buy anything from horizon so which of the AE shock pistons is the closest to those. I tried it with the #3 and the car handled very well although it was still pushing in the high speed sweepers which caused my car to be a little slower than the Xrays who seem to hold the line better. All the tight corners the car was right there so I think I could be faster if I could hold the line in those sweeping turns. I think maybe I need to be a little closer on the pistons and see if that doesnt fix it.
The Losi #57 pistons are close to the AE #3 and the Losi #56 are close to AE #2. You don't have to buy from Horzion...try Losi and Associated Parts House. They have good prices and cheap shipping --> http://www.losipartshouse.com/
Old 04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 748eric
Need rookie setup help...........

Here's my story. Purchased a TC5 a few months back and thought I would run rubber tire as it was a new class at my local track. We'll after about 6 weeks or so the rubber tire thing hasn't picked up and I couldn't for the life of me get my TC5 to handle, dispite may hours of tinkering. The biggest issue is my local carpet track is 95% Corally Phi's. So I'm basically the only TC5.

So I decided that the Foam class would be a bit easier to drive? Can anyone recommend a Rookie carpet foam setup for my TC5? I saw Robk's post, should I just follow that?
Robks setup would be a good one to try....

I recommend trying the Juho/Hebert setup from Snowbirds that is posted on rc10.com...should be a good starting point.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

I recommend trying the Juho/Hebert setup from Snowbirds that is posted on rc10.com...should be a good starting point.

Thanks for the advice. After looking at the Juho/Hebert I noticed they have camber set at -3.5 and -2.5. Does that seem real aggressive and will that cause extreame tire wear?

I basically brand new to this and want something that will offer stable handeling while I learn the ropes.

Thanks for any advice.
Eric
Old 04-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
The Losi #57 pistons are close to the AE #3 and the Losi #56 are close to AE #2. You don't have to buy from Horzion...try Losi and Associated Parts House. They have good prices and cheap shipping --> http://www.losipartshouse.com/

Thank you. I will try the AE pistons first since I already have them and will only have to change one set at this point. If I am still just a little off I will try the losi parts. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice. After looking at the Juho/Hebert I noticed they have camber set at -3.5 and -2.5. Does that seem real aggressive and will that cause extreame tire wear?

I basically brand new to this and want something that will offer stable handeling while I learn the ropes.

Thanks for any advice.
Eric
You are correct. That much camber is probably a mod motor thing. When club racing in stock, I start my camber around 2mm all around, then fine tune them so the tires wear is even.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie

Thanks for any advice.
Eric
Use the Juho Set up from Snowbirds. It is very predictable with a slight push which should be easy to drive. I used it and found I had to use -3 camber all the way around to get the tires to wear evenly.

The set up posted by robk is by far the nicest set up I have seen so far and may also be a good one to start with. Not too agressive but easily holds the line. You could tune the agressiveness with the amount of tire sauce on the front tires.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
The set up posted by robk is by far the nicest set up I have seen so far and may also be a good one to start with. Not too agressive but easily holds the line. You could tune the agressiveness with the amount of tire sauce on the front tires.
And where would somone find the post? My search didnt find anything.

DK
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for any advice.
Eric
The camber is a very big thing with this setup. We have found this (3.5* in the rear and 2.5* in the front) to be the best.

One thing you might try however for stock and super stock is gold rear springs. I ran our regionals this weekend and that really helped with rotation.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Walter, at those camber settings did the tires wear flat, or cone?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PartTime
And where would somone find the post? My search didnt find anything.

DK

Yeah it took me quite awhile to find it myself so I copied and saved it in word. Here is the version I saved. The bold is what I copied from RobK's post.

Front
ride ht 4.5mm
camber -1.5
caster 6*
toe 0
hex spacing .5mm
wheel base 1mm shim in front
steering link 1A
bumpsteer 4mm
diff ball-cam a setting 1
tire jaco dbl pink 55.8mm
1/2 (13.5)to 3/4 (10.5)dope
shock
57 losi piston
60wt oil
purple spring
full rebound
shock 2a
camber link 4
stock ballstud
arm mount 2A ff/fr
shims 3* ff/fr
droop 1.5mm
silver swaybar
hard arms & caster block

ReaR
ride height 4.5
camber 2.0
toe hub 1.0, 2* overall toe (this is an aggressive setting, .5 or 0 toe at the hub mellows the car out/reduces rotation, when overall toe is the same)
hex spacing 0
wheelbase full long
diff ball cam a setting 8
tire Jaco dbl pink 55.8 full dope
shock
Losi 56
30 wt oil
full rebound
gold spring
shock 3A
camber link 5B (I like this a lot as the car is a bit easier to drive. 5A would be very twitchy on hi bite)
black ballstud w/2mm spacer
arm mount 1b fr/rr
shim 2*fr/3*rr
droop 1.5mm
no roll bar
hard arms

I was a couple changes away that made the car better for me.
Foremost was the steering link at 2B. 1A was hard for me to hold on to(very reactive), and I felt like i wanted a bit more overall steering. The 2 position on the bellcrank mellows the car out, and B tends to have a bit more steering all the way thru the turn.

I also went one hole in on the rear shock tower, which made the car rotate a bit more. My car seemed to touch the chassis edges a lot at the rear (even before I moved the shock), so i ran the black sway bar at the rear to help this. The other guys' cars didn't seem to be touching. That may have been my shock building coming into play.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys for the rookie help. Believe me I need it.

So at this point I am attempting to put together my setup based on the Juho setup.

A few questions though.

What does hex spacing mean? Is this just a spacer between the hex nut and the rim?

Also under toe it says "2 in + 1 out"?? What?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the rookie help. Believe me I need it.

So at this point I am attempting to put together my setup based on the Juho setup.

A few questions though.

What does hex spacing mean? Is this just a spacer between the hex nut and the rim?

Also under toe it says "2 in + 1 out"?? What?
You're correct about the hex spacing. As far as the rear toe I...That means 2 degrees of toe on the arm mounts and 1 degree at the rear hubs. You will need 1 degree hubs for that.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Initiate

One more thing under the RWD Mount shims, it says "3.5 deg". I only have up to 2 degrees? I took a look and couldn't find bigger than that online either.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Combine the shims together. You probably will need longer screws so that you get enough thread into the nut that holds all of that together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.