Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Indy, loose rear on corner entry has been a common problem with several TC5 cars at our track. You can try reducing the amount of droop in the rear suspension. Less rear droop will reduce the amount of weight transferring to the front when off power and will keep more weight on the rear tires increasing rear grip. As a test try only 1mm over rear ride height and see how that feels. If the rear is too planted then try 1.5mm over ride height and see if that frees the car back up. Droop changes of only 1/2mm can be pretty noticeable IMO.
Don't only change rear droop!
Add a little more to the front, take away from the rear!
I normally run 2mm above ride height in the front and 3mm in the rear.
Sometimes mine gets loose depending on the track, but I found 2.5mm all around dials it back in.

Another thing is make sure your droop is the same at each end of the car. Left/right front equal, Left/right rear equal!
This is huge! An uneven droop will create setup havoc!

Pickup the end of the car your working on, then let the tires hit the table slowly. See if one is touching before the other.
If so change a little from each side until equal.

not the way i do it but it gives you an idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQt6iv175mw

If you have a smart phone - Martin Crisp's Workbench rc setup App is a great aid at the track. http://www.setupworkbench.com/
It has a setup helper in it and covers many changes to aid you when setup issues arise.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey Scott (indy), I will 3rd the droop fix. Here are a few tips that may help with setting droop.
1. When setting for left and right equality, use the teter method. Example: To check the front, place the car on the edge of your setup board or table with the front tires on and the rear tires off, about middle chassis. Pull the rear of the car down lifting the front tires off the surface. Note any differences and adjust. I like this method because it sets the droop to the chassis assuming its not tweaked.

2. To set the amount of droop. Very simular to the video posted previously. This method will take a bit more feel, but I think its very acurate. I will explain. To set the front, place one hand on each tire holding it to the table. Then grab the top corners of the shock tower with you fingers and lift. Now this is where the feel comes in. No matter what setup tools or gauges are used, it is difficult to find the total droop or uptravel when the chassis is set to sit on a precision block. The TC5 having the older style ballcup and studs tend to have alot of play, and while you may have it set to the T, there still may be some extra in the play. After using this method, you will develop the touch to set your droop by feel.

I started doing this at the usvta snats (where we met). since then i have become a whiz at droop setting. They line up around the track for me to setup their cars. no not really.lol. Anyway good man, hope it not the next usvta snats till we run into each other.

Last edited by RacerRay; 01-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Man guys, I sure appreciate the advice and help! Gotta love these forums!

Ray, I'm pretty sure I remember you. So many new faces that weekend. It was great wasn't it!

I will print this information off to save. Hopefully I can get some quiet time this week in the evenings to work on my TC5. If not, I'll get to the track early and work on it there.

Again, thank you!

Scott
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I used to have a similar problem with my 17.5 tc5. I solved it by not only adjusting rear droop (as everyone has stated) but also by adjusting the front shocks. I ran them in the 3rd hole, closer to vertical, and ran stiffer springs and found this helped as well. I believe you said you are running 3 degrees rear toe? That seems right, as I found that 2 was too little and still caused it to break loose on entry and mid corner.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone Know if The associated TC6 gear diff will fit in a TC5? Im pretty sure I would have to do some sanding and shiming.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
same ones. there is only one losi lcd. they $40 though. might be worth getting a set as they are quite popular to use on a number of cars.

rather than spend money, i learned to drive around the chatter. slow in, turn, gently pull it out of the turn.
if my car was sounding like a pos, i probably took the corner too fast on too much throttle and wasn't going any faster than if i just slowed and turned in, off power.
Can you tell me if anything else is required to use the LOSA3344 on the TC5?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

What's everyone's favorite Lipo Battery holder for the TC5? I've got one of my TC5's on ebay right now and its still got the NiMH battery holder as you can see in the photo. I want to be able to tell the buyer what/where to go to get a good bracket/holder. I'm sure most people run Lipos these days, so its a given he'll need something that works.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-tc5forebay041513.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

This is what I use but use caution as mine delaminated right away and digity basically said it was my fault that their carbon fiber seperated. I reglued it but be cautious about after purchase support.

http://www.diggitydesigns.com/Associ...race_Rev2.html

Also, has anyone used those losi 3344 double jointed CVD's in the TC5?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
This is what I use but use caution as mine delaminated right away and digity basically said it was my fault that their carbon fiber seperated. I reglued it but be cautious about after purchase support.

http://www.diggitydesigns.com/Associ...race_Rev2.html
Thanks, I'd seen those, but didn't know where they came from. I'll suggest that to them in lieu of something else.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Guys, anyone know of a gear diff that works? I researched and saw the BD5 diff would work so I got a Spec-R bd5 diff and it just won't work. The bearing mounting area of the diff is too narrow. I've attached a pic to show. I'm looking for another solution if anyone has one. As you can see to get the belt aligned properly there is no more material on the diff for the bearing to sit. Same issue w/ diff reversed.

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC5-2013-04-19-13.50.47.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Guys, anyone know of a gear diff that works? I researched and saw the BD5 diff would work so I got a Spec-R bd5 diff and it just won't work. The bearing mounting area of the diff is too narrow. I've attached a pic to show. I'm looking for another solution if anyone has one. As you can see to get the belt aligned properly there is no more material on the diff for the bearing to sit. Same issue w/ diff reversed.

Thanks
Dave
The bd-5 diff will work, but you need to use a stack of shims to get the spacing correct.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Look at the attached pic and tell me how..
Old 04-20-2013, 03:37 AM
Tech Adept

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post11400352
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Not sure if that link was for me but I don't know if the tc6 diff fits either.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone ever measure their track width? I'm wondering if what i've measured is acceptable. I thought it was supposed to be 190mm but perhaps that is w/ shims added. I've got 3deg rear toe in and 0deg in front. I measured the track at the top center of each tire to average the rear toe offset in track. I came up w/ 184.944mm in front and 182.562mm in the rear. I'm wondering if this is typical or not.

Thanks
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.