R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1008833-understanding-f1-tuning-let%92s-break-down.html)

GT CRUSING 09-10-2021 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by illmatic94 (Post 15822999)
-not sure what tire compound but they are rush tires.
-was driving on medium to high traction
asphalt.

may adjust the faster and see if it improves

Yea F1 cars are super sensitive to track conditions. Its probably best to tune your car during high grip conditions (after a race day or in the last few hours of a packed practice session day)

bertrandsv87 09-11-2021 10:09 PM

F1 cars love fresh asphalt only, no old greyed surface...

illmatic94 09-13-2021 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 15823310)

yes lol I believe a big issues I was having was an overly tightened diff

bertrandsv87 09-15-2021 05:26 AM

Ok....That can be a big issue too....

Airwave 09-16-2021 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 15823310)

I don't agree. When asphalt is deployed, a chemical is used to ensure that it won't stick to the steamroller. This is what make the asphalt black. Years after years, the chemical will be washed and the structure of the asphalt will change because gravels in will settle down. It will make bigger "holes" in the asphalt to trap the dust and it will enhance the grip. That's what we note on our recent track. I can show you pictures so you can see the color changing, and we have history of best laps also :-)

illmatic94 09-16-2021 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Airwave (Post 15824819)
I don't agree. When asphalt is deployed, a chemical is used to ensure that it won't stick to the steamroller. This is what make the asphalt black. Years after years, the chemical will be washed and the structure of the asphalt will change because gravels in will settle down. It will make bigger "holes" in the asphalt to trap the dust and it will enhance the grip. That's what we note on our recent track. I can show you pictures so you can see the color changing, and we have history of best laps also :-)

where’s your track?

Airwave 09-16-2021 04:20 PM

Geneva, Switzerland.

This is how it was when it was delivered (2016) :
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3T...-no?authuser=0
And now:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hV...-no?authuser=0
Please ignore the huge metallic structure lol

MikeR 09-16-2021 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by illmatic94 (Post 15823684)
yes lol I believe a big issues I was having was an overly tightened diff

F1 cars on asphault are very sensitive to proper set up and tires. One of the hardest classes to become fast in. But when you keep working at it and truly get it figured out, it will reward you with many podiums and lots of great days at the track. And turn you into an excellent driver as your reward :)
As long as the asphalt is clean and dust free, almost any asphalt is no problem for a well set up F1 car.

bertrandsv87 09-16-2021 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Airwave (Post 15824819)

I ran a Nikko f1 with a 10t brushed motor at 5.0fdr at FBF with exceptional handling on freshly laid asphalt, but after the track greyed out, I could not even get a 27t stock motor in the same Nikko to go around the track without spinning out at every turn...I was hounding the tc nitro bashers with my 10t nikko(50+mph) on fresh asphalt, but I could not get over 25mph on grey asphalt without losing control: no way old asphalt has better grip than freshly laid asphalt....

Dan the Man 09-17-2021 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 15824938)
I ran a Nikko f1 with a 10t brushed motor at 5.0fdr at FBF with exceptional handling on freshly laid asphalt, but after the track greyed out, I could not even get a 27t stock motor in the same Nikko to go around the track without spinning out at every turn...I was hounding the tc nitro bashers with my 10t nikko(50+mph) on fresh asphalt, but I could not get over 25mph on grey asphalt without losing control: no way old asphalt has better grip than freshly laid asphalt....

Ok, I'm going have to block you again Bert.

"Nikko F1"..... C'mon man :rolleyes::weird::rolleyes::weird:

bertrandsv87 09-19-2021 10:36 PM

That's exactly my point Dan, a Nikko is not tunable at all, and is entirely dependant on surface traction: good traction on fresh asphalt, bad traction on old asphalt...

dman18t 09-25-2021 05:47 AM

Arrowmax V2 gear diff, who has used it? Experience, pros and cons? Is it tough? I need a strong rear axle.

shadowracer24 09-25-2021 09:01 AM

Only car that I've found it fit right on is the exotech ultra or shui icon. Was not very impressed with it. Just my opinion but the x-ray seems to be the better choice.

Johnny Wishbone 09-25-2021 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by dman18t (Post 15827577)
Arrowmax V2 gear diff, who has used it? Experience, pros and cons? Is it tough? I need a strong rear axle.

I have used/use it. From the V1 where the axle would bend on the gear side, the V2 carbon axle has a better design on that end. Unfortunately the V2 axle is a hollow carbon design, and when you hang the big extended F1 tire on the non diff side the axle will break rather easy. I never got a chance to try this, but I wonder if you where to put a fiberglass rod into the hollow part of the carbon axle, if that would make it stronger overall.
Since I broke mine, if figured I would cut it apart to see what it was made like. I managed to save the gear side stub. So I picked up some stainless steel tubing with the proper outside and inside dimensions, so the stub would slip into the tubing. I ended up pressing the stub into the tubing, using red loctite, to glue it in, and then I drilled it and pinned it so it won't come out. I have only given it one run, but intentionally smacked some boards to see if it would bend or break, and so far it has survived.

But to answer your question, the V2 isn't any better, LOL.

Sylvio 09-27-2021 01:00 PM

F1 front tyres seem to have quite some play (1-2 degrees), most part of it seems to come from the bearings. Has anyone looked into this and found a solution?