R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1008833-understanding-f1-tuning-let%92s-break-down.html)

MikeR 10-24-2022 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Monsta (Post 15937053)
Well, i think you hit hte nail on the head.
I tried some Volante Hyper soft on the rear this weekend, keeping the same old GR fronts on, and it was a different car.
I know new vs old will make a huge difference but for the first time ever my car has push, to the point where ive had to dial grip back in to the front. I was able to keep the throttle pinned through the sweeper that ive have previously been spinning out on.

Thank you everyone for the help and input.

Have you tried the Exotek yellow rears and fronts yet since you are heading into Summer? You may be pleasantly surprised by them.

BadSign 10-24-2022 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dawgmeat (Post 15950575)
Good day, I have a question regarding F1 braking on low traction asphalt. My issue is coming down the straightaway full speed and tapping the brakes which causes my car to spin out. My brake D/R is around 50% and the ESC brake freq is set to 8k. Is there anything within the transmitter that could help my car to brake without the rear breaking loose? Thanks in advance

dawgmeat, do a search and find post #144 in this thread.

dawgmeat 10-24-2022 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BadSign (Post 15950873)
dawgmeat, do a search and find post #144 in this thread.

Woah that was informative

bertrandsv87 10-24-2022 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by F N CUDA (Post 15182441)
Hi robk thanks for the props a few pages back brother.
Drag brake FTW!

By the way guys, robk's last name is King, birth name and as far as I'm concerned when it comes to F1 RC cars, the name was earned.

First guy I ever got advise from when entering F1 on foams, about 2009 ish which got me up to speed quickly.

Tamiya is my home track, my F1 cars can get around that asphalt track (and a couple others around here).

My thoughts on drag brake:

IF you are sharp enough to be a consistent "finger" braker, you don't need any drag brake.
That's braking every corner, every lap all day long. I know a couple guys good at that.
That aint me, no way.

My drag brake is my cheat mode so I don't have to think, once it is set up for the fastest corner on the track i.e. the 180 right after the WFO sweeper at the end of the straight.

First I was taught to set up the max brake value for that same corner.
Push full brake at that 180 and let it step out but not spin out, controllable, never a panic braking situation.
My radio says that value is about 60%.

Drag brake on my esc is set so that when I let off at that 180 (later than you :sneaky:) the car will drive about 1 foot past the corner, not quite enough to turn in as tight as I need but almost.

Now I fine tune the drag brake with the throttle trim clicked back increasing braking til the car turns in within inches of that same corner. Steps out a little maybe but won't spin out.
If I take the trim too far back, it of course turns in too tight and I'm on the bump/board, you get the idea.
Drag brake is now adjustable to current track conditions from the radio.
Once set for that race, (done during warm up laps), the car can almost put 2 wheels on the paint of each corner without me having to think about finger braking, I'm just lifting off the throttle and gettin it in then full punch and gettin it out.

My set up is to also have the car push just enough not to spin out when exiting corners full punch, toggle switch throttle, again don't have to think about it. Heck, it's only a 25.5 now :nod:
My goal is to be last off the gas into and first back on the gas out of each corner.

Thats my recipe for my "Monkey Car". a monkey could drive it.

Of course none of this shite works with out the right tire choices

Very nice way to solve the problem...That was post #144...

MonkeyCmonkeyDo 04-10-2023 08:22 PM

hello all
I'm new to rc on road racing. heck im new to racing. I went for the 1st time this last friday at my local indoor offroad clay track.
Im also new to F1s and have been learning from several mistakes ive already made.

Summer is coming. Race day is coming.
The 22nd is my opening qualifier I think. I might actually even have one this coming weekend.

I fear one of the main mistakes I've made is tires!
I revamped the f103 this last weekend and gutted it and had all new components put in it.
I've only been able to run it around my house. Hardwood vinyl flooring with foam pit tires. get arounds. lol.

I ordered sweeps... soft fronts and soft rears... I live in the NW of the country and we will be lucky to get 2 weeks of 90F. Although u never know i guess... Should i have ordered a different compound for the fronts or rears? Say a med rear...
thought about ordering another compound but idk if it will be here in time anyways.
tracks are outdoor concrete.

also, thought about ordering aluminum front arms to add weight to the front.
When I turn the car to the right its okay but if I go all the way to the left. it almost oversteers....the servo shifts and puts stress on the body and it flex's kinda. Thinking adjustable or more adjustable turnbuckles will help... TIA all.
looking fwd to testing at a covered basketball court or maybe a night at the skatepark. It rains so much here. Been raining for days... hard to get any actual road time.
-devin

MonkeyCmonkeyDo 04-10-2023 08:23 PM

8 months ago lol. oops

photeckk 04-11-2023 12:06 AM

Exotek super soft rears for cold and soft fronts or medium fronts for easy to drive. I’m not sure if they fit on the f103. You can run exotek reds (soft rears) for 90 degree track temp.

dmcguire 04-11-2023 07:26 AM

Monkey, sounds like you need to set your endpoints on the steering. This is done in your radio, either called End Point Adjustment (EPA) or Steering Travel, depending on the radio. You want to make sure the car turns the same amount both ways. Draw a chalk line on the driveway, turn all the way to the right, do a half circle. Mark the width of the turn. Pick up the car and turn in 180 degrees, facing the other way and do a left half-circle. Adjust the radio until both half circles are equal. Start there and then use "Dual Rate" to add/remove steering. Dual rate will add/remove equally. Read the manual on the radio if you have any questions on how to operate it.

MonkeyCmonkeyDo 04-11-2023 10:16 AM

Ty ty ok. Makes sense. I had to trim it a lot to get the front tires straight when I 1st got it going.
I'll do that when we get dry.
Devin