R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1008833-understanding-f1-tuning-let%92s-break-down.html)

dawgmeat 06-17-2020 03:03 PM

Whats the best F1 tires for low traction bumpy asphalt, track temps can reach 130F

BullFrog 06-18-2020 07:18 PM

Did not realize that Valkaria was bumpy?

MikeR 06-19-2020 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dawgmeat (Post 15653688)
Whats the best F1 tires for low traction bumpy asphalt, track temps can reach 130F

There is no 1 tire that's king on all tracks. Certain tires works best on certain type of tracks, size of track and certain type of asphalts too. It's just like 2wd buggy- find the right tire for the right track by finding what last weeks winner used.

liljohn1064 12-21-2020 12:24 PM

Tire prep is killing me. I've been cleaning with WD-40 and by the time it comes to race the tires have way too much traction on black carpet. I'll be switching to Electrical Contact Cleaner/Motor spray the next time out. I'm running Glued 571 fronts and flip the car without fail in the sweeper. So, this is a warning, advice, whatever: Stay away from cleaning your tires with WD-40 on black carpet.

1. WD-40 - dried and glued tires for the first practice run. Car was a dream with full SXT 3.0 Red.
2. WD-40 - Cleaned tires with WD-40 and the tires felt grippy after saucing for 5 minutes and going out a second time. Car was fast with 1/2 SXT.
3. WD-40 - Cleaned tires. They started to feel gummy. Went out and traction rolled for the first 5 laps. Only sauced 1/4 of the tire and left on for 5 minutes.
4. Didn't clean the tires an only sauced 1/8 for 5 minutes. Pushed like a dump truck. Couldn't roll it if I tried.
5. Switched tires to a different set of dry tires, cleaned with WD-40 and only sauced 1/4. Tires felt slightly pushy.

Keep in mind it was a race day and traction increased constantly through the day on Black CRC carpet.

Fun times.

chensleyrc1 12-21-2020 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 (Post 15730029)
Tire prep is killing me. I've been cleaning with WD-40 and by the time it comes to race the tires have way too much traction on black carpet. I'll be switching to Electrical Contact Cleaner/Motor spray the next time out. I'm running Glued 571 fronts and flip the car without fail in the sweeper. So, this is a warning, advice, whatever: Stay away from cleaning your tires with WD-40 on black carpet.

1. WD-40 - dried and glued tires for the first practice run. Car was a dream with full SXT 3.0 Red.
2. WD-40 - Cleaned tires with WD-40 and the tires felt grippy after saucing for 5 minutes and going out a second time. Car was fast with 1/2 SXT.
3. WD-40 - Cleaned tires. They started to feel gummy. Went out and traction rolled for the first 5 laps. Only sauced 1/4 of the tire and left on for 5 minutes.
4. Didn't clean the tires an only sauced 1/8 for 5 minutes. Pushed like a dump truck. Couldn't roll it if I tried.
5. Switched tires to a different set of dry tires, cleaned with WD-40 and only sauced 1/4. Tires felt slightly pushy.

Keep in mind it was a race day and traction increased constantly through the day on Black CRC carpet.

Fun times.

Something to try on black carpet. Clean the fronts with Wurth's Brake cleaner and the rears with tire sauce. Sauce full front and full rear, let set for 5 minutes and wipe clean. As traction somes up, lessen the soak time of the front and drop to 3/4 tire. With super high traction, like at the nationals at Apex, I had to wrap the glue over the outer edge a little.

mtveten 12-21-2020 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 (Post 15730029)

Fun times.

Cleaning with motor spray can also casue the grip to build up, I would suggest cleaning with lighter fluid to help with grip consistancy between runs.

When you need to boost grip cleaning with motor-spray, wd-40, ca accelerator, or buggy grip is an easy way to increase your tranction compound's effect.

liljohn1064 12-22-2020 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mtveten (Post 15730200)
Cleaning with motor spray can also casue the grip to build up, I would suggest cleaning with lighter fluid to help with grip consistancy between runs.

When you need to boost grip cleaning with motor-spray, wd-40, ca accelerator, or buggy grip is an easy way to increase your tranction compound's effect.

I used to use lighter fuel/naphtha for cleaning foams! I have some ready to go. I was worried it might dry the tires out too much, but makes perfect sense.

MC Hamilton 12-25-2020 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by daveb (Post 15646338)
My F6 really handles well on our infield of our track but at high speed down the straight, when I turn in it just DARTS in and if to early and I try to correct it the car gets super out of control. I've got about 9 degrees caster, 2 degrees of camber and .016 front springs. I'm running Schumacher 571 fronts and 575 rears. If you can provide me some input that would be great. NEW tires are my first solution.

I would try less camber. RC cars are so light weight that camber actually forces the chassis to dive on the outside and raise on the inside. It's great to get a car to turn into the corner aggressively. If your car is darty on turn in, you might need to settle that down. The 0.16 springs may also contribute to diving on entry - may be a little too soft. Change one thing at a time - 0.18 springs and 4 to 6 degrees of camber.

MC Hamilton 12-25-2020 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 15590167)
I've changed to many things again and have de tuned myself into confusion. Is there a most single way to correct this issue? I know it is a rear traction level issue, but say you have a single set of tires and one compound, from manufacture X, that is spec'd for your race.
What settings need to be changed to correct on-power over steer? I'm talking very little throttle starts the rotation which leads you to spinning out, facing oncoming traffic.
Also, what changes are necessary to create crisp turn-in off power?
My car does both, it won't turn in, then spins out when the throttle is applied. I'm using a locked diff. TIA

Traxxas makes Slipper Friction Pegs Part# TRA4685. They replace the diff balls and make the diff into mostly a locker. You don't use any diff lube, just dry - and you can adjust the tightness of the diff nut to allow a little slip. It's not a full locker and not a full diff. I found it fussy to work with - very small window of adjustment between too tight and too loose. I did make one with six diff balls and six pegs that I cut to be about the same size as the diff balls. Better, but still didn't stay in the car long before going another route. Worth a try. Very inexpensive option.

PN Racing makes a limited slip spur gear that has tear drop holes for the diff balls. On throttle the ball pinches into the small part of the tear drop which makes the diff more locked and off throttle the ball moves to the bigger part of the tear drop and acts like a regular ball diff. These work pretty well. Part #800490 for a 90T. Most consistent and most familiar to work with if you have experience with ball diffs. I can't decide if I like these better than the gear diffs. Definitely a more inexpensive option than the gear diffs.

XRAY gear diff. I paid $100 for one. Eliminates the inside wheel spin, but now I am in the game of trying different weight oils every run and I don't like having to disassemble and clean it to find the right balance for the track that day. It's what I have in the car right now, but I wouldn't say that I am happy with the investment.

JCarr 04-26-2021 05:31 AM

Just bumping this up, lots of good info that has helped me with my first F1.

JCarr 04-26-2021 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 15197591)
I would go with heavier side dampening, start with 20 - 30K fluid. You may even be able to go higher. Link cars usually need a little more dampening. T bar cars (like Tamiya) can be lower, like 7 or 10K.

Quick way to see which direction to go: run the car, then pop the tubes off. If the car gets better, go lighter. If the car is worse, go heavier.

Springs, I would start on the soft end of the spectrum to start, but some of this will depend on the tire. You can kind of manipulate the rotation to stability ratio by going to lighter (rotation) or heavier (stability) oil with the same spring. Like wise, a stiffer side spring may have a more direct feel off center, but should be more stable feeling, until you go hard enough that car car starts to slide. In general, I like a softer spring and try to go heavier on the oil if you need to calm the car down, as well as add preload.

Cuda side spring method, aimed at carpet, but do the same thing on asphalt looking for rotation and /or stability:

Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
A fast guy taught me how to play with the side sorings on my carpet car.

Start with medium stiffness spring just touching with car sitting at ride height then screw them down 2 turns preload.
Drive car, rear wheel lifting? Too stiff, back off spring preload 1 turn.
Still lifting? go to lighter spring and start again, 2 turns preload etc.

If/when front wheels lifting, side springs too light, go back the other way.

So basically, turning the preload no more than 2 turns up or down tells me when to go to a different spring

This worked well for me

Now when it grip rolls https://www.rctech.net/forum/classic...ies/sneaky.gif it's both wheels lifting at the same time. https://www.rctech.net/forum/classic...ies/laugh2.gifhttps://www.rctech.net/forum/classic...ies/laugh2.gif

Trying to apply this to the Exotek F1 Ultra. Right now my car is very good and easy to drive, but it raises the inside front. I have the softest side shock springs on it now, but the next heavier spring makes it lift the inside rear. Would putting heavier fluid in the shock help settle the front tire back down without screwing up the rest of the handling? I have kit 300cst oil in the shocks right now, this is on black carpet, by the way.

MikeR 04-26-2021 10:45 AM

I need to post the latest set up but I have switched from 300 cst to 400 cst for the F1Ultra side shocks. Helps to get rid of that 'falling' over trait.

illmatic94 09-10-2021 01:32 PM

Driving style

Do f1 car push or understeer by nature or is my set up just terribly wrong? I’m used to driving 1/10 nitro and electric TC. Recently picked up a serpent f110 and set it up for the (low traction) set up and the car doesn’t like to turn: off throttle or on throttle at any point when it has some decent speed (15-25mph)

GT CRUSING 09-10-2021 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by illmatic94 (Post 15822967)
Do f1 car push or understeer by nature or is my set up just terribly wrong? I’m used to driving 1/10 nitro and electric TC. Recently picked up a serpent f110 and set it up for the (low traction) set up and the car doesn’t like to turn: off throttle or on throttle at any point when it has some decent speed (15-25mph)

It depends entirely on 1) Track Conditions 2)Tire Choice 3) Car Setup 4) Driver Skills

But generally F1 cars oversteer if the tires are too soft or if the weight balance is way off

The fastest fix for understeer is softer front tires or more front camber/caster

illmatic94 09-10-2021 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by GT CRUSING (Post 15822989)
It depends entirely on 1) Track Conditions 2)Tire Choice 3) Car Setup 4) Driver Skills

But generally F1 cars oversteer if the tires are too soft or if the weight balance is way off

The fastest fix for understeer is softer front tires or more front camber/caster

-not sure what tire compound but they are rush tires.
-was driving on medium to high traction
asphalt.

may adjust the faster and see if it improves