Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree649Likes

Team Associated B6 & B6D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Originally Posted by kdub
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

from what I read last night the new 6.1's have a different chassis it is shorter and I think it has different holes but not sure as far as compatibility goes from old to new.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobf24
does anyone have any experience running the current laydown on a dusty loose outdoor track?

The lack of a gear cover on the new B6.1d has me curious if rocks and crap are going to get into the spur/pinion constantly or if the body wraps around close enough that its not needed?
AE stated on their Facebook page that a standup 3 gear transmission is also going to be available. I had the same questions about running on loose outdoor surfaces. There are so many tuning options now I think one could adapt to just about any condition.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aracefan
I'm sure it can be figured it out, I run the Exotek motor fan mount on my B6D...

It may just take a little more ingenuity, or a new mount.
Thanks for the pic! I didn't even know that mount existed and now I have one on the way.
aracefan likes this.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

To clarify, I was referring to inserts in general. The issue with the b5m hub inserts was bearing alignment. Hopefully, their quality of the new parts is good and no crunchy bearings.

- The plan to have a lockout topshaft for 17.5, with a shorter shaft....so the fan should fit on the chassis.

- The new chassis is shorter.. why? They moved the motor back. I assume the chassis is shortest to fill that gap. I think it is shorter between the back of the side rails and the tranny. The section under the motor. If the holes line up and you use the tie rod style brace, you might be able to use the b6 chassis. Just guessing.

- I am not sure it is cost effective to buy all these upgrades to convert to a b6.1. 2x shock towers, 67mm cvd, new rear hubs, new rear arms, new chassis, new gear box and top shaft. That is 100-150 in parts. Might as well build a fresh ride that that point.

*** Overall, I am really pleased with the update the kits. machines pistons, long rear shock bodies and tower, updated gear box, new rear arms, +1 steering ackerman and the new OEM Spur Guard. Even the new front shock tower protector is cool. I honestly think they did enough to justify buying a new kit. Also, oiled bearings instead of greased, is a nice touch. I really feel like AE put real effort into updating the b6.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
*** Overall, I am really pleased with the update the kits. machines pistons, long rear shock bodies and tower, updated gear box, new rear arms, +1 steering ackerman and the new OEM Spur Guard. Even the new front shock tower protector is cool. I honestly think they did enough to justify buying a new kit. Also, oiled bearings instead of greased, is a nice touch. I really feel like AE put real effort into updating the b6.
Spot on...

An advantage that I see with the slipper spring on the other side is that it should allow for a longer spring, and therefore a larger slipper setting setup window.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
Spot on...

An advantage that I see with the slipper spring on the other side is that it should allow for a longer spring, and therefore a larger slipper setting setup window.
I think the main reason for the change was issues swapping out larger (mod) spur gears. Also that stupid hole on the side of the body, lol.

They included new parts and many of the options parts we were buying in the kit. Plus v2 springs? AE upping their spring game? All good stuff.
jtodd57 likes this.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with you Wildcat it does seem like a conversion kit would be so expensive with all the changes a new kit would actually be more cost effective for most. And neither seems to be priced really high. 319 for the D and think it was 329 for the regular 6.1 I did see where they said the towers were graphite instead of carbon fiber. I do think I'll be looking at one as soon as they are available, or maybe wait a bit till they get thru the first batch and get all the packaging and manual bugs worked out.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aracefan
I'm sure it can be figured it out, I run the Exotek motor fan mount on my B6D...

It may just take a little more ingenuity, or a new mount.
picture you attached is not a B6D. as the for B6 picture you attached that is the current most common place fans can be mounted with ease using good double stick tape. but AE is giving us the shaft on the B6.1 series
Old 02-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default B6.1 upgrade parts

Going ONLY off pictures and current priced parts (until we have the manual and parts list) I have done some calculation for full conversion and also what new value the B6.1 has over B6. Attached is the detail. For full conversion it would be about $300. Maybe if you already had 67mm setup and if the current gear diff fits the new gearbox you could get close for $150. I didn't give a value to the rear shock tower as I can't see that being needed. Same could be said for the battery strap but I gave it a cost for reference.

This is just for B6 not B6D
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated B6 & B6D thread-b6.1.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pinkz
picture you attached is not a B6D. as the for B6 picture you attached that is the current most common place fans can be mounted with ease using good double stick tape. but AE is giving us the shaft on the B6.1 series
It could be a B6D, it's not my car (which is a B6D) but my B6D has the laydown tranny and I have the black fan mount setup just like that... but it's also why I put "It may just take a little more ingenuity, or a new mount."

Before I put the laydown tran on the B6D, I used the exact same mount and had it right above the waterfall - directly above the motor... All I'm saying is that just because the "shaft" is now on the opposite side, there will be a way to mount a fan for your motor. Just maybe not where it is in the pic, ie., where it has traditionally been placed.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olds45512
Thanks for the pic! I didn't even know that mount existed and now I have one on the way.
If you are running a B6D with the kit stand-up transmission, you will need to mount the fan above the waterfall about the center of the motor. Fits under the body easily like this. If you are running a laydown (whether it be a B6 or a B6D) tranny then the fan will mount like in the pic... you will have to trim out the body for it.

Here is my B6D with laydown trans - if you save the pic, and if you can zoom in a little you see I have it mounted up just like the stock photo from Exotek... I mounted the motor mount ring at the end of the motor just to give a little more clearance and "space". Figured I can always move it if needed, after ~7/8 race days haven't had one problem - and motor hasn't been over 90d, even on the odd occasion we ran a 6 minute main. thing works great!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Anyone know if TowerHobbies has preorder links available for B6.1D yet? Thanks
Old 02-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rigor
Anyone know if TowerHobbies has preorder links available for B6.1D yet? Thanks
Not sure they're gonna because they are already in the hole to AE for a good bit of money.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olds45512
Not sure they're gonna because they are already in the hole to AE for a good bit of money.
Oh, right.

I forgot OCRC gives free practice days for every $100 spent on a single purchase, so it makes as much sense for me to purchase through them anyway.

Has there been any mention if these buggies will hit shelves in March?

Good luck to everyone getting pre-orders in
Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rigor
Oh, right.

I forgot OCRC gives free practice days for every $100 spent on a single purchase, so it makes as much sense for me to purchase through them anyway.

Has there been any mention if these buggies will hit shelves in March?

Good luck to everyone getting pre-orders in
Amain says March 30th on their site as of this time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.