Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree649Likes

Team Associated B6 & B6D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Originally Posted by kdub
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doodle
Hi,

(...)
From watching the B6 (and other cars) on our track, it appears the rear end will chassis roll, but the front is remaining fairly flat so chassis roll/camber gain weight transfer doesn't seem to be happening much at the front unless your apply brakes.
There you go. Once you balance the amount of roll the car will distribute grip more equally, as the rear is rolling more than the front I would start by lessening rear roll (raising the hub with inserts is quick and easy to do).
Old 01-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
There you go. Once you balance the amount of roll the car will distribute grip more equally, as the rear is rolling more than the front I would start by lessening rear roll (raising the hub with inserts is quick and easy to do).
I'm running stock B6 kit setup so I am already at +3 on the rear hub...?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

I'm running stock B6 kit setup so I am already at +3 on the rear hub...?
Hmm...That means the rear springs are softer at the wheel than the fronts, a big flaw. I haven't measured the B6 yet so I can't say for sure but I measured other AE,TLR and Kyosho buggies and all exhibited that flaw. To test this theory could you try moving the front shocks inwards (middle for a start) on the arm and the rear shocks out on the arm?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Hmm...That means the rear springs are softer at the wheel than the fronts, a big flaw. I haven't measured the B6 yet so I can't say for sure but I measured other AE,TLR and Kyosho buggies and all exhibited that flaw. To test this theory could you try moving the front shocks inwards (middle for a start) on the arm and the rear shocks out on the arm?
Of course. I am racing again Monday. Just reference I'm running stock orange front spring (4.05lb) and blue rear (2.30lb).

Both shocks running 400cst oil. Zero rebound. Front piston stock 2x1.6. Rear piston stock 2x1.7.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Of course. I am racing again Monday. Just reference I'm running stock orange front spring (4.05lb) and blue rear (2.30lb).

Both shocks running 400cst oil. Zero rebound. Front piston stock 2x1.6. Rear piston stock 2x1.7.
Shock setup seems okay, about the shock position the Yokomo team has been using that with great results let's wait and see
Old 01-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beansor2bacon
As far as emulating a lay down set up, im curious to here how that goes. cant way i disagree with it, if you cant / dont get the laydown.
I moved the battery forward to 3F (posts in front location, middle hole on battery brace/strap) from 3r and ran the front shocks in the outer hole on the arm.

Moving the battery helped, the front shock change didn't. I changed the shocks back and added 1mm of rear ball stud height and that was better. Had my best runs on the layout. Still not where I want it, but moving in the right direction.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Had my best runs on the layout. Still not where I want it, but moving in the right direction.
Now we went ahead and changed the layout on you.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default B6 17.5 stock class

Can someone help with a list of items recommended to replace / change when running 17.5 stock class?

What are the must do’s?
What are the fast guys doing?
What is not needed / a waste of dollars spent?

Thanks

Last edited by tylem28; 01-07-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

tylem28 - your best money spent is on practice and tires first. 99% of all of the other parts are strickly bling. If I had to tell you one thing to buy, it would be titanium turnbuckles strickly for the weight savings. Other than that, work on running consistent lap times. All of the extra parts in the world can't help with that.
Cappy and TC5Driven like this.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tylem28
Can someone help with a list of items recommended to replace / change when running 17.5 stock class?

What are the must do’s?

Thanks
What type of track?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tylem28

What are the must do’s?

Thanks
Obviously shedding weight is important. Getting rid of rotating mass kills two birds with one stone. Slipper eliminator is the cheapest and easiest. I feel it was the best bang for the buck in our 17.5 setup. The 175rc plastic pinions are also nice. I was scared of them at first so I got spares. Still haven't ruined the first one.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks. Mainly a smaller indoor high carpet track. I do run a medium to large size high traction clay track (slicks mostly, sometimes pins)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Best bang for the buck spec class tricks:

1. Make sure the gears in the transmission don't have thick oil on them from a leaky diff. Stick to dry/light lubricants or even no lube to reduce the rolling resistance of the drivetrain compared to diff oil. $0

2. Remove the rubber seals from the bearings (or use metal shielded bearings), clean out the grease, and use a light bearing oil to free up the drivetrain. This is free if you have the oil/cleaning supplies and your bearings are still in good condition. $20 if you buy a new set of metal shielded bearings and the oil.

3. Slipper eliminator. Removes mass from the second fastest spinning part in the drivetrain. The energy it takes to spin something faster is a square function, so removing 1 gram from the slipper is worth more than 1 gram from the diff or cvds. $10-15.

4. Plastic pinions. Removes mass from the fastest spinning part of the drivetrain. $15 for a decent assortment of sizes.

5. 16 gauge wire. Stock motors don't pull enough power to warrant 13 or 12 gauge wire. 16 is way lighter and easier to solder to boot. $10.

Do the above and send it. You should be right around 1500 grams if your electronics aren't abnormally heavy.
30Tooth likes this.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I agree with all of Krio's points, but I like running a tiny bit of grease (Associated black grease, applied only to the lay-shaft gear) on the transmission gears. How fast a gearbox free-spins gives no indication of friction under load.

If you remove seals from your bearings, leave one each on the outdrive bearings and the layshaft bearing on the spur gear side, facing the outside of the transmission. It's worth it to keep dust out of those three.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

SO, theoretically, if I did not want to purchase the 25g C mount, couldn't I use small lead or brass weights in the free space right in front of the stock C mount to get the same effect? Or, am I wrong? I only ask because I only will need it maybe 5-6 times a year and do not want to buy a piece that I will seldom use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.