TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bmans5
That's What I was told at my LHS today...then maybe I have it by the weekend...or next weekend. Can't wait

So since we race Carpet Spec 17.5 here, I should be looking to get a discontinued laydown kit, but the spec racer has a chassis that is lightened, so by going that route I would be loosing on a lightened chassis, correct?

Any chance a lightened laydown conversion kit is in the works? or maybe the chassis in the spec is setup so it can use the laydown transmission from the get go?
The spec racer is supposed to come in under weight, even with electronics. So you should have to add weight to bring it up to minimum legal weight. Adding a heavier chassis would help bring the weight up, and it's adding the weight as low as you possibly can. May be a good idea, especially since the laydown will practically eliminate traction roll on carpet (in my experience) and let you keep much higher corner speed.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I will have the dirt laydown tomorrow
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Any day now, hopefully tomorrow.
omg omg omg omg omg

I have mine on order as well. can't wait! Then I can finally change my sig 😎
Old 12-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

The 22 3.0 Specs are now in stock.
My shop has some on the way.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:43 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

That's What I was told at my LHS today...then maybe I have it by the weekend...or next weekend. Can't wait

So since we race Carpet Spec 17.5 here, I should be looking to get a discontinued laydown kit, but the spec racer has a chassis that is lightened, so by going that route I would be loosing on a lightened chassis, correct?

Any chance a lightened laydown conversion kit is in the works? or maybe the chassis in the spec is setup so it can use the laydown transmission from the get go?
No lightened laydown in the works. Yes, you'll want TLR338004 for carpet.

Originally Posted by jmitchell
Frank, any idea on when the new dirt laydown conversion kits will be available?
They are now.

Originally Posted by LBR_Frank
omg omg omg omg omg

I have mine on order as well. can't wait! Then I can finally change my sig 😎
Shipping today.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks For the info Frank
Old 12-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just confirmed with my LHS I will have it end of next week....the day before X-mas.
Going to put a bow on it and tag saying from my kids to me, so when the wife sees it there is no way she can get mad....cause the kids bought it for there dad
Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 PM
TLRacing

Just confirmed with my LHS I will have it end of next week....the day before X-mas.
Going to put a bow on it and tag saying from my kids to me, so when the wife sees it there is no way she can get mad....cause the kids bought it for there dad
Smart Man
Old 12-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

22 3.0 Spec Racer
Got it yesterday afternoon 1 pm
Thanks OCRC Raceway!
Built it yesterday afternoon
Tested it yesterday afternoon 5pm
Raced it yesterday evening 7pm

Just as I expected, another TLR kit, out of the box, dialed.
So glad they test here.
Medium to hi bite clay.

Good job, great idea for the stock class!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:58 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
22 3.0 Spec Racer
Got it yesterday afternoon 1 pm
Thanks OCRC Raceway!
Built it yesterday afternoon
Tested it yesterday afternoon 5pm
Raced it yesterday evening 7pm

Just as I expected, another TLR kit, out of the box, dialed.
So glad they test here.
Medium to hi bite clay.

Good job, great idea for the stock class!
I'm so glad you like it Cuda! Hopefully I'll see you soon!
Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Absolutely lame question but I can't keep my aerial tube from falling out if the hole, tightened the grub screw as far as possible although it just spins near the bottom

What am I doing wrong?
Old 12-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by daz_75
Absolutely lame question but I can't keep my aerial tube from falling out if the hole, tightened the grub screw as far as possible although it just spins near the bottom

What am I doing wrong?
Are you talking about the antennae tube and screw? The screw usually just bites a little into the plastic on the side of the tube. I have tried some aftermarket tubing that was slightly smaller in diameter, which didn't bite or hold as well. You may be able try a different brand of tubing, or use something like shoe goo to help assist (don't worry, shoe goo can be taken off later if desired). You might even be able to coat the outside of the tube with some super glue (or tire glue) to build up the surface area and make it larger, enabling the grub screw to dig in a little more. Hope some of this helps, if I understood your question correctly (and there are no lame questions).
Old 12-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
Are you talking about the antennae tube and screw? The screw usually just bites a little into the plastic on the side of the tube. I have tried some aftermarket tubing that was slightly smaller in diameter, which didn't bite or hold as well. You may be able try a different brand of tubing, or use something like shoe goo to help assist (don't worry, shoe goo can be taken off later if desired). You might even be able to coat the outside of the tube with some super glue (or tire glue) to build up the surface area and make it larger, enabling the grub screw to dig in a little more. Hope some of this helps, if I understood your question correctly (and there are no lame questions).
You did understand thanks for the reply I'm using the kit tube so would have thought it should be OK
Wonder if I've over tightened it and it's damaged the actual housing some how???

Really need to get and antenna less receiver
Old 12-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Don't tighten the screw all of the way to the bottom. Most tubes have the wire inserted in the bottom so you have a small gap between the start of the tube and the chassis. So if you tighten the screw all of the way down then it might not be making enough contact to keep the tube in place.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daz_75
You did understand thanks for the reply I'm using the kit tube so would have thought it should be OK
Wonder if I've over tightened it and it's damaged the actual housing some how???

Really need to get and antenna less receiver
Another way to do it , that I seen someone doing and now I do. I take a piece of the 3m hook and loop secure tape. I cut it to fit on my receiver and then take the antenna and slowly wind it through that to secure it and place that on top of the receiver. This keeps it nice and tidy and out of the way.

http://www.bond-tape.com/3m-dual-lock-fastener.html

Here is a link to it. If you need a picture of it on the receiver I can get you one.

Last edited by klowne; 12-17-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: putting in link to the product I am talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.