Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

it not the car its the driver
Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
I second this... I've put almost a hundred packs through my 22-4 now and haven't broken a thing yet.

What on earth are you hitting???
I have been running mine every week and it doesnt break, im just having a hard time with the car. It rotates like nothing else, if i dont oversteer i can be in and out of a corner faster than anything on the track problem is its very easy to oversteer. I have tried alot of things and nothing has worked i dont know what happened to my car. I tried phends reedy setup and it was horrible and i have not been able to get it back since?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

I have an old xx-4. Does anyone know if any what parts will work on both cars?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tlr224
naters what did u hit ? i have never broke my 22-4 without hitting something really hard and really fast . not once has my 22-4 broke that wasnt operator error .
It's always when I land front tire first. 5 of the six arms I have broke have been from coming up short on jumps. Only one was on a big triple. The rest have been little jumps 6' to 12'. The sixth one was landing while the front wheels were turned. it tumbled and came up broke. I'm not slamming into stuff everywhere. I'm not running wide open into pipes, walls or other cars. I normally run on a small indoor track. If I try to downside a jump and come up six inches short, it breaks. I have never owned an RC that breaks so easily. (In the last two years I have owned a Mini 8, Five T, 22 rtr, 22, 22 2.0, 22 SCT, rc10 SCB, B4.2, B5m, B5.) I race 1-2 times a week and practice. I TQ'ed and won the stock buggy class at the President's Day Classic at Addiction RC in Utah with something like 38 entrees. I'm not some hacker thrashing on this car. I'm disgusted at how easily it breaks.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vito
it not the car its the driver
Seriously Vito..? When has a car ever broke that wasn't being driven?

Last edited by Naters; 03-23-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Captain Obvious
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well naters i didnt mean to question your skill level. just the majority dont share the same problem as you are . not discounting your problem . my only advice is if it happens on the same way 5-6 times maybe try to adjust that situation and try it a different way .
Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I went through 4 A-arms this weekend trying to get a timing on the rhythm section on our new layout. It was brutal. Finally got it to. Its only plastic and it is sometimes costly to get dialed in on a section. If any one thinks its the kit there dead wrong. Is there a "weak" point? Yes. Just the front inner hinge pin. It breaks while most bend. Broke or bent its worthless. Not the arms though and not the axles IMO. If the axles were truly jumk I would have broke several this weekend. It takes a hard hit to break any of them. There was a bone yard of Kyoshos and AE and Xray kits but both 22-4 kits were in one piece at the end of the day. And there were only 2 22-4's. Driver error or even a fluke and most flukes are the breaks that usually are provoked by an earlier crash. All kits break. Simple as that.

The 22-4 is by far the best club racer/pro racer kit on the market right now.

I am the most unbiased racer there is and I can be. I am a self sponsored racer. I don't support any one or any product that I won't first pay for with my own cash in a belief it gives me a competitive edge. If its good I put a sticker on my kit and stick with it. Right now and you can bet that TLR's competition is studying this kit and going to try to top it. And you can bet I will try it out no matter who comes up with something. Right now there is no other kit I would even pay for in a need or want to test out. The only kits that didn't break this weekend at the March Mayhem were Traxxas slashes. Honest.

Any hoot for what its worth if there wasn't a shortage of parts none of this would be an issue I bet.

Bottom line is meet the new kit same as any other kit. Only it out performs any of the others. IMHO.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've broken a bunch of parts, a lot of parts even... To be honest, NONE of the breaks have been solely because the car is weak. I have had bad landings, hit pipes and am just getting used to 4wd buggy (first 4wd buggy). I feel like I'm learning to race again, completely different. However, as UN4Racing said it probably wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't a shortage in parts. When I initially built this I bought a whole bunch of spare parts because I knew I would have problems getting used to it. I love the buggy, I really do. I just need to learn to drive it correctly and consistently. I'm not afraid to admit that my own driving is costing me a lot of money in parts. Seeing all the people with the 22-4 at the tracks I've been at goes to show how much people love them. At the short course showdown today I think I saw 3 in the A-main.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tlr224
well naters i didnt mean to question your skill level. just the majority dont share the same problem as you are . not discounting your problem . my only advice is if it happens on the same way 5-6 times maybe try to adjust that situation and try it a different way .
I'll try calling Horizon and see if they have a solution. Maybe it's something else on the front of the car that I've overlooked because the car was pretty solid when I first got it (other than the hinge pins breaking.)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i am a reborn newbie after a long long break in the hobby. and the first few runs with the 22-4 i was spending a lot of time in the pits lets just say i cvan change a a arm in really good time. but that was me being way overconfident and going full blast from the get go . every time out i have been setting the car up more and more and spending more time on track with less and less breaks . this car is so smooth i sometimes forget to turn . the wall always reminds me really quick !
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll be the first to admit, breaking the rear axle was my dumb fault, as well as one front arm, but it is sure painful to not be able to get the needed parts to get back on the track. :-(
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm having an issue with my 22-4. When I am on the throttle 3/4 or better I hear a higher pitched sound, a sound I thought sounds like the same sound Hodges displayed when he was setting the slipper. I can't get enough speed to clear a simple double, and down a straight it doesn't gain the speed I know the car is capable of. I thought it might be the rear belt, so I set it at a tight setting. That didn't fix it so I thought it would be the slipper not being set tight enough. I tightened the slipper so the screw went slightly past the nut. Still have the same problem. Any ideas?

The motor is a 6.5 and the ESC is an Orion R10 pro... it should have plenty of power to clear a double and haul down a straight.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnuggett
I'm having an issue with my 22-4. When I am on the throttle 3/4 or better I hear a higher pitched sound, a sound I thought sounds like the same sound Hodges displayed when he was setting the slipper. I can't get enough speed to clear a simple double, and down a straight it doesn't gain the speed I know the car is capable of. I thought it might be the rear belt, so I set it at a tight setting. That didn't fix it so I thought it would be the slipper not being set tight enough. I tightened the slipper so the screw went slightly past the nut. Still have the same problem. Any ideas?

The motor is a 6.5 and the ESC is an Orion R10 pro... it should have plenty of power to clear a double and haul down a straight.
Try another motor. It sounds like you may have a bad bearing? Be sure the pinion is not to tight or loose to the spur as well?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnuggett

That is the bad sound of your diffs slipping. Tighten them way up. Mine are within 1 turn back of locked.

I had the same exact issue with lack of speed

Last edited by uclabruins89; 03-23-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Check diffs, and also use the method root says for checking the slipper, if there is anything slipping you will find it quick. Also whats your gearing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.