Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I must say Horizon's customer service rocks, first time I have ever had an issue and felt the need to contact them. Sent them an e-mail with a picture of the broken rear axle, and they are sending me a not only a driveshaft set, but also a wheel nut set, pin set, and rear hub set as soon as the axles are back in stock. Just another reason I am glad to run TLR stuff.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

So I was testing out caster blocks and front sway bar yesterday while I was at IERC. I'm wondering if anyone else has played with the front sway bar.

I felt that the 10* casters made the steering more consistent and made it easier to hit the same line entering and exiting the turns.

I ran the thin (white) swaybar up front and noticed that it kept the rear of the car from snapping around too fast. I was running consistent mid to low 23sec lap times with the sway bar up front and mid 24sec lap times without the swaybar up front.

Has anyone else tried the swaybar up front? Just wanted to see what everyone else thought of using it. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have not trued the front sway bar yet but maybe I will now. What is the traction like where you ran it ?
Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Interesting observation about the buggy. Below half throttle you can hear the motor spinning and the drivetrain I guess. From about half to full throttle down the straight the buggy actually runs near silent. Just a high pitched "whiiiiiiiiiiiiii" sound. At first I thought it was the slipper slipping too much. But it had plenty of acceleration. So I guess this is the normal sound the buggy makes at high RPM? It sounds cool, just making sure everyone else is getting the same sound from theirs. Don't wanna smoke the slipper pads! My nut is flush with the end of the threads, and I'm using the heavy clicker spring with the nut about one thread out from flush.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I liken the sound to that of a turbo when it is ripping down the straight.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lenman73
I have not trued the front sway bar yet but maybe I will now. What is the traction like where you ran it ?
In my opinion, I felt that with the front sway bar it gave the buggy a more planted rear end. It felt like I could carry more speed into and out of the corners. I give the white front sway bar a try and post your findings with it.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
I must say Horizon's customer service rocks, first time I have ever had an issue and felt the need to contact them. Sent them an e-mail with a picture of the broken rear axle, and they are sending me a not only a driveshaft set, but also a wheel nut set, pin set, and rear hub set as soon as the axles are back in stock. Just another reason I am glad to run TLR stuff.
What email address did you send it to? Im getting ready to do the same for my front arm and hinge pin.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Snapped an axle today. Anybody know of a hobby shop that has TLR232020 in stock and is willing to ship? Would very much appreciate the help.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom-sct
So it seems like you have your 22-4 pretty well to your liking.
Can you post your set-up for those of us who are still struggling with our 22-4 set ups?

Thanks.
Tom
I am exhausted from trying to get this PDF crap to work. I need to find a computer teacher to help me figure it out.

Try this till I can get better at posting set up sheets. You may have to zoom in. Sorry for the poor quality..

Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Tech Lord

BTW I TQ'd and backed it up in the main tonight. Took the 8 week series in a tight battle. The 22-4 took 1st and 2nd on the podium. The only 2 TLR 22-4 kits in the house to. I am not changing a thing on my set up till I get to try the new cab forward. I think it will be the icing on the cake for me.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Un4racing, where abouts u suggest on picking up the new cab fwd bodies.

I am pretty noob to RC and picked up a 22-4 along with a 8ight-t 2.0 and have enjoyed driving it in practice and the look of the 22-4 already, however I have yet to race it yet.

I am running a 6.5t tekin gen 2 motor and a Castle Mamba Max Pro esc. I am wanting to go with a new esc, but this is an esc I have had prior so didn't have to pay anything for it.

If you could give me any suggestions on what motor/esc u reccomend for this lite beast that would be perfect.

Thanks in the meantime.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and tips UN4RACING!

Here is your setup:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
224_UN4RACING.pdf (373.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 03-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by splashn95
Un4racing, where abouts u suggest on picking up the new cab fwd bodies.

I am pretty noob to RC and picked up a 22-4 along with a 8ight-t 2.0 and have enjoyed driving it in practice and the look of the 22-4 already, however I have yet to race it yet.

I am running a 6.5t tekin gen 2 motor and a Castle Mamba Max Pro esc. I am wanting to go with a new esc, but this is an esc I have had prior so didn't have to pay anything for it.

If you could give me any suggestions on what motor/esc u reccomend for this lite beast that would be perfect.

Thanks in the meantime.
I have been trolling Horizon every day waiting for it to be in stock. My kit feels so dang good I just need a little bit more on power high speed steering. Aside from that right now the kit is perfect for me. I really think this would just be the final tweak....
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...22-4-TLR330003

Motor.... I don't know if I could ever run anything but a Reedy its all I run and I love them. I pretty well have just stuck with them tried and true. Before Reedy I ran Novak motors loyally.

As for ESC in todays market I would have to say I want the RSX pretty bad since its release and will soon to be getting one. I have had a lot of victories with the RX8 series and the RX8 Gen2 series and motors in 8th scale racing. The RSX has a 7.4 BEC option for high voltage servo options. You can flat out tune them in with the hotwire (30 bucks)to any track or section of a track precisely the way you want them. Tekin is at the top of my list for ESC's and there motors are second to none.

Other than that the Orion R10 would be nice 2nd choice. They are a solid ESC and have gained a lot of customers over the past couple of years. The Orions are solid but the tuning box is a rip off in my opinion. 70+ dollars for a tuning box is just bull crap. So I would have to give Tekin the nod for ESC's. State of the art with more versatile tuning options. Tekin is in warp speed ahead of everyone with there hotwire options, Phone and computer capable now. I may even be running the new RSX this week end.

I was running the Orion after the blow out ESC's LRP was putting out. Man they were a great ESC for years and all I ever ran. But they had a serious problem with quality for some time. Its put the hurt on there customer base.

Any hoot they came out with the LRP Flow and I thought man I just have to give them another shot. I like the brakes on the LRP's. Sadly though I hate it. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I hate to be to harsh cause its working great in blinky mode but it really lacks adjustment and each adjustment is weak and I really can't fine tune it like a Tekin or Orion.

I have ran others like Speed passion and Novak. So I have had a lot of ESC experiences. And there are some budget ESC out right now that are gaining in popularity.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 03-16-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by kjrell
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and tips UN4RACING!

Here is your setup:
Okay show Off how the heck do you do that... I can't flipping figure it out. I hope I meet you some day so I can buy you a soda pop. I am just gong to bookmark this page right now. Arno sent me an editable one the other day and I am baffled. I have given up before I pull all my hair out. GRRRRR! I am going to have to hit someone up at the track and see if its me or this computer.
It looks so much more pro than a pic of a set up sheet.
Thank you sir!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Okay show Off how the heck do you do that... I can't flipping figure it out. I hope I meet you some day so I can buy you a soda pop. I am just gong to bookmark this page right now. Arno sent me an editable one the other day and I am baffled. I have given up before I pull all my hair out. GRRRRR! I am going to have to hit someone up at the track and see if its me or this computer.
It looks so much more pro than a pic of a set up sheet.
Thank you sir!

Hey UN4RACING.
Thanks for taking the time to post your set up. It is appreciated.
And congrats on your series win. I need to try your set up to see if it helps me at all.

Thanks again.
Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.