Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by twinrider1
Update on my son, aka The Spindle Destroyer.
As mentioned in an earlier post, he broke 3 spindles his first time on a track. Folks recommended the threaded king pin, and I picked up a set (TLR1043).
Our second trip to the track was much better. Not saying he's ready to race, but he is keeping it off the walls/pipes much better.

Better, but not perfect...

He managed to break the solid pin and the spindle. I couldn't watch him all the time because I was marshaling, but I didn't hear any big crash, nothing obvious. Is breaking the pin something that does happen sometimes, or is this unusual? I'm seriously considering buying a die and some rod stock and making these pins. They won't be TiNi-coated, but it's better than paying $6-9 for a new set every week.

Something else I noticed about the spindle breakage. Every single one has split in half, right through the mold mark where it is filled (I think the term is gate.) Not sure if it's relevant, or that spot just happens to be where the stress is focused when the spindle is torqued apart.
I had the same problem.I would break at least one spindle per visit to the track. I installed the 2.0 bellcrank steering with the newer spindles it comes with i havent broken any since. You also have to use the 2.0 caster blocks.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

As mentioned in an earlier post, he broke 3 spindles his first time on a track. Folks recommended the threaded king pin, and I picked up a set (TLR1043).
Our second trip to the track was much better. Not saying he's ready to race, but he is keeping it off the walls/pipes much better.

He managed to break the solid pin and the spindle. I couldn't watch him all the time because I was marshaling, but I didn't hear any big crash, nothing obvious. Is breaking the pin something that does happen sometimes, or is this unusual? I'm seriously considering buying a die and some rod stock and making these pins. They won't be TiNi-coated, but it's better than paying $6-9 for a new set every week.

Something else I noticed about the spindle breakage. Every single one has split in half, right through the mold mark where it is filled (I think the term is gate.) Not sure if it's relevant, or that spot just happens to be where the stress is focused when the spindle is torqued apart.
I've been using the same spindle and pin on my 22sct for almost two years and I've had my share of crashes. Do your spindles / castors turn freely or was there some tightness or binding?

Last edited by DriveItLikeYSIT; 01-19-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The pin is snug through the spindle but swings freely on the castor.
I wonder if temperature is a contributing factor. Reading back in the thread, a lot of the California/Florida folks have few issues while the midwest/northeast guys had problems.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I've never seen the threaded king pin break like that...

The pin is snug through the spindle but swings freely on the castor.
I wonder if temperature is a contributing factor. Reading back in the thread, a lot of the California/Florida folks have few issues while the midwest/northeast guys had problems.
Colder weather definitely makes the plastic harder and more brittle. I'd recommend that you keep the car warm before heading to the track (in the house and not the garage), which should help some.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Wow. That is impressive. The SCT is harder on spindles than other cars due to the weight of the car.

The 2.0 spindles and caster blocks are stronger. The geometry is better as well. I would recommend updating to the 2.0 spindle and caster blocks for the better performance as well as they should be stronger. I have yet to break a 2.0 spindle. I did break a few (well deserved) spindles on my 1.0 and then went alum as well.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

I broke one pin once. Not unusual if the truck has a pipe addiction. They are tough...not completely immune to breakage though. It does sound like he is getting better though. I have a lot of fun watching my son drive too...I finally put him in a turned-down Ebuggy (3.0e) and I've had a lot more fun watching him and a lot less repairs.

Anyway, I was very surprised at how much more fun I had watching him drive that 1/8 than I was when I drove it....and, besides....I don't want him trashing my 22's...buggy OR truck!!! But he can hack on the pipes with that ebuggy all day and that's fine with me!! Long live 1/10 2wd classes!!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hopefully Casper or Frank can help me out. I run at OCRC with my 1.0 and have been having some rear traction problems. I am running the Casper/Dunford setup on the first page, but with small personal tweaks like the rear shocks being at location 1-outside (for more rear side traction).
My issue is that if I run the green front spring, the truck over-steers and the rear gets loose. If I run blue, i feel like it pushes too much and I loose time.
Maybe the blue spring with a stiffer front sway bar? Remove the rear so it can roll a little more and bite harder on the tire sidewall? I switched to 32.5 weight oil all around and like the additional pack (was running 27.5). I am running j-concepts bar codes in gold (I made the switch from pro-line suburb pinks and will never go back). I have attached a few images below so get an idea of my setup. Any thoughts? The pictures are a little order. I am now running almost 0 degrees toe, and i beleive -2 camber. -2 camber on the rear as well and the rear shock mount position is 1-outside.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Prophet

For rear traction are we looking for forward bite or side bite?

I almost always run a less aggressive front tire on my SCT. So a JC pressure point tire up front with barcodes in the rear for the tires.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 22 SCT 1.0 steering conversion to 2.0

Hey all,

I have a 22SCT 1.0 and I purchased the TLR231027 bell crank system. I installed the system and noticed a huge difference however I popped the tow turnbuckle ball cup twice barely grazing a pipe both times, Stinks as I held fast lap in both heats and the A-main. My question is this.... I did not install the spindles that came with the new bell crank system, after looking at the new spindles with the bell crank kit it seemed they are the same as the spindles I already had on the truck, 1.0. Do I need to install the new spindles? Are they different? I also used the 1.0 turnbuckles I had on the truck instead of the ones that were shorter with the bell crank system.

I have always had ball cup issues with the truck and switched to captured ends to solve the problem years ago. However the bell crank system uses those new off set turnbuckle ends so I removed the captured ends and went back to the ball cups.

If the answer to 'Do I need to install the new spindles?' is yes do the new spindles work with the 1.0 caster blocks? Do I need to order the 2.0 caster blocks as well? (Part numbers please)

Before the A-main I installed new ball cup ends(HD) on the truck as well as replaced the ball studs with new....still popped off.

Any ideas? This isn't new territory for me I have always had bad luck with the ball cups when the 1.0 first came out and even after moving to the HD ball cup ends.

I noticed some guys were placing spacers under the ball studs. Does this rectify ball cups popping off for the tow linkage? I have never had a camber link pop off just the tow links that are attached to the steering system whether it be the old slide system or the new bell crank system. Please help!

Thanks Gentlemen!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Casper
For rear traction are we looking for forward bite or side bite?

I almost always run a less aggressive front tire on my SCT. So a JC pressure point tire up front with barcodes in the rear for the tires.
A little bit of both. Basically, at the end of the straight in the back of the track, there is that sharp 90 degree turn then the double. I always have to tip-toe around that 90. The truck seems to oversteer becuase the back slides around on the front. Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lewi007
Hey all,

I have a 22SCT 1.0 and I purchased the TLR231027 bell crank system. I installed the system and noticed a huge difference however I popped the tow turnbuckle ball cup twice barely grazing a pipe both times, Stinks as I held fast lap in both heats and the A-main. My question is this.... I did not install the spindles that came with the new bell crank system, after looking at the new spindles with the bell crank kit it seemed they are the same as the spindles I already had on the truck, 1.0. Do I need to install the new spindles? Are they different? I also used the 1.0 turnbuckles I had on the truck instead of the ones that were shorter with the bell crank system.

I have always had ball cup issues with the truck and switched to captured ends to solve the problem years ago. However the bell crank system uses those new off set turnbuckle ends so I removed the captured ends and went back to the ball cups.

If the answer to 'Do I need to install the new spindles?' is yes do the new spindles work with the 1.0 caster blocks? Do I need to order the 2.0 caster blocks as well? (Part numbers please)

Before the A-main I installed new ball cup ends(HD) on the truck as well as replaced the ball studs with new....still popped off.

Any ideas? This isn't new territory for me I have always had bad luck with the ball cups when the 1.0 first came out and even after moving to the HD ball cup ends.

I noticed some guys were placing spacers under the ball studs. Does this rectify ball cups popping off for the tow linkage? I have never had a camber link pop off just the tow links that are attached to the steering system whether it be the old slide system or the new bell crank system. Please help!

Thanks Gentlemen!
You absolutely have to install the spindles. They have a slightly different trail but they are designed to be part of a working system. You need to install them.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ridered4life250
A little bit of both. Basically, at the end of the straight in the back of the track, there is that sharp 90 degree turn then the double. I always have to tip-toe around that 90. The truck seems to oversteer becuase the back slides around on the front. Any ideas?
Yes end of a long straight like OCRC last layout is very hard to "send it" into with a SC. I always brake early in a straight line to set the front end and then go into the corner.

Stiffer front spring or leave the greens on and go to a stiffer front swaybar should help this some.

Again less agressive front tire helps as well take some twitchiness out of the truck. I would try the 2.0 rear hubs. I can't remember if those are a direct bolt on to the 1.0. This significantly raises the rear camber link and guys really like the rear stability that brings.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lewi007
Hey all,

Thanks Gentlemen!
Yes use the new spindles and also go to the newer 2.0 caster blocks. Not sure this will eliminate your ball-cup popping issue as I'm having the same issue and am now trying a captured end on the spindle side (not yet tested out). I've had popping ball cups in both my 22SCT 1.0 and the 22T, but the 2.0 buggy seems fine with the bell crank system.

I used captured links before the bell crank install, so never really had popping issues prior to the bell crank install
Old 01-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

ok thanks casper. Ill try that. I just bought a 1 race old 22 2.0 so im stoked for that. In all honestly, I am an AE guy through-and-through, but since I sold my sc10.2 for this truck, I really like it.
What do you think of the fact that I am running a rear motor truck at OCRC, but have a full stick pack pretty much pushed all the way forward. I have the TLR metal battery brace, as seen in the pics, and I run the battery all the way forward. I really like it so far but am really tempted to go to MM. I can’t image it would be too much different of a weight distribution from what Im running now.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am no expert but it sure looks like you have a lot of pre-load on the rear shocks...what ride height is that at? Mine for comparison, the adjusters are up alot higher and set at 28MM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.