Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75
Very true, because the sensored is doing more work. The motor and esc are communicating back and forth when sensored is on.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
It's not any more expensive now a days. Take a quick search when looking up 4 poles and esc's.
Cost is everything to a lot of folks, especially beginners in this hobby. Sensored without a doubt more costly, to some it doesn't matter, to some like myself just feel it's unnessasary extra expense for weekend racing.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bondonutz
Sensored has it's place and obviously so does sensorless, I see no reason to bash any sensorless combo especially if they've proven to work well in the hands of the owner/driver? Granted a lot of folks have had some probs with thier ESC's regardless of brands (I seen many many RX8's go up in smoke when first released just like the M.M.M. years back) But vast majority of users will never admit to user errors or poor set ups.

I'm no Po but I do run well (got a A-main win last week) but I see no disadvantage of a properly set up sensorless combo. Both my indoor and outdoor SCTE's run butter smooth on our local indoor tracks and they are small and very technical. I have zero issues with cogging, dead spots or power inconsistantcy's. Hell, my MMP's are several yrs old and running a Spektrum 6040HS servo's with a cap only to boot. Yay Castle IMHO
I have not driven most of the sensorless motors out there. I just know what I felt with my 8th scale. It was not something that was drastic or could not be compensated for but I could tell the motor was not responding as consistant to throttle input for jumping as I would have liked it to. Sensored motors are just more consistant. This is not say sensorless does not work or even work well. There are a lot of very good sensorless systems but like Randy said it has been proven many times sensored producess better more consistant lap times. The level of experience you have will determine if that means anything to you. Again given a choice I will always pick sensored as it is better. Is sensorless good enough. Sure it may be most people and applications.

Originally Posted by Bob Moore
Casper maybe you can help....
I am running a SCTE with a Teking 4.5 550 motor with a LRP SXXTC I have the drag brake and brake all the way down as well as the Power/Punch set at 1.
I am geared at 13/40
The truck is very fast and can make 10 min mains on a 6200 lipo

What would the advantage be going to a 540 4600 motor?

Just wondering if it is a huge difference in motors.
Thanks for any info you can give me.
The Pro 4 motors will have a little more bottom end and a little more overall power. They are also ~2.5oz lighter. 550 motors a little softer on the bottom but as good or maybe slightly better top. The guys testing showed slight improved runtime with the 540 motors but could be some weight and some design.

I wholeheartedly believe that sensored has no more power than unsensored provideing both have the same KV, comparing the Tekin 4000 to the Castle 3800 isn't exactly a fair comparison even tho it's pretty close.
From all my years in BL and reading arcticles, posts etc UNsensored is slightly more efficent than sensored, It may be minute but thats what I feel is true.

STPETE40; I still have that Beta motor in my possesion that will do everything the 4600 Pro4 can do and plan on testing it again when we hit the 1/8scale track.
I feel in general sensorless are faster. They are not restricted by the sensor. I have seen sensored motors on motor testers. They hit a max RPM and stay there. The sensors control the max RPM. You don't have this control in sensorless so they can spin up a little higher. All the raw speed guys run sensorless for this reason. I am not bashing sensorless here. Again there are many great systems out there that work great. They cost little less and are more then capable of getting the job done. It is hard to argue that sensored is not better though from a control/consistancy stance. One of the cool features of the RX8 is the D2 mode that switches between these two modes to give a best of both worlds. There are other speedo's that do this as well but most are one or the other.

Last edited by Casper; 10-18-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

@ Casper

A very civilized post, thank you. Good to see someone state facts and opinons rather than just spouting off "sensorless blows" etc etc like a typical fan boy.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

If a motor had all windings identical, no variance in an clearances, perfect balance, perfect magnet spacing, perfect flux fields and the hall sensors were all identical then sensored would probably be more efficient. Sensorless allows for all of these imperfections by firing the coils at the correct time regardless. With the correct timing once a sensorless motor is at sufficient speed it will be more efficient. Sensored motors will always be more efficient (and consistent like casper says) at very low motor speeds.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I wholeheartedly believe that sensored has no more power than unsensored provideing both have the same KV, comparing the Tekin 4000 to the Castle 3800 isn't exactly a fair comparison even tho it's pretty close.
From all my years in BL and reading arcticles, posts etc UNsensored is slightly more efficent than sensored, It may be minute but thats what I feel is true.

STPETE40; I still have that Beta motor in my possesion that will do everything the 4600 Pro4 can do and plan on testing it again when we hit the 1/8scale track.
Well, you're correct because I have run my tenshock 4000kv / SC8 combo (unsensored) vs my club presidient's Tekin pro4 4000kv/rx8 (sensored)combo, and guess what? Not a lick faster. Dead even down the 150 ft. or so straight. Neither had an inch on the other. im on 13T pinion, and he's on a 14T. So, some will scoff, I've seen it, and it's true. No noticeable difference in ability to clear jumps, run up, nothing. Maybe a smidge smoother at lower, VERY low speeds, but aside from that, meh.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Going from sensorless to sensored, made a hugh difference at slow speed. It went from skipping in the corners to smooth sweeping in the corners. I will never go back to sensorless. I suppose thats why they are priced different. If you havent tried it, you should. Just like DSM2, just adds more control.

Salad, good to see you did what was right.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 99 (99%+)

I have seen it stated in this thread that the Losi Team racers use the plastic front chassis brace and in the rear use the torque rod. Could someone tell me why the plastic brace is used in the front over the aluminum one?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JASF4I
When is it, Whats the track like?
Sent you a pm on it.

and thanks bashem for the info.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Thanks Casper for the straight forward answer.

Nice to have someone like yourself on her giving there time to help all of us out.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by isarctard
I have seen it stated in this thread that the Losi Team racers use the plastic front chassis brace and in the rear use the torque rod. Could someone tell me why the plastic brace is used in the front over the aluminum one?
Personally, I went back to stock plastic because its a bit lighter. 5 grams or so I believe, if I remember correctly. I wieghed them myself beore the swwitch. Doesn't sound like much, and I'm not a weight nazi with this thing, but if I am going to shave weight, I want it off the front of this truck. Team drivers may have a different reason.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cult Racing
Just got these today: Losi Bolt on hexes (sorry for the dirt, ran it last night and havent had the chance to clean it yet.)

These look a lot like the ones on the losi crawler? Wonder if they are a different size?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cost is everything to a lot of folks, especially beginners in this hobby. Sensored without a doubt more costly, to some it doesn't matter, to some like myself just feel it's unnessasary extra expense for weekend racing.
Agreed......For us weekend hackers it doesn't matter what motor we run when we spend too much time on our lid.
Sensored/uncensored....blah, blah. When I can run consistent laps, then I'll look at what motor may or may not be faster.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 10sctrel0v3r
sales guy gave me a good deal just to get rid of the older 6000 60c-2s batteries. they have the newer ones but hell 500 mah isint needed. im running the novak 5.5 14mm rotor with rx8 but just picked up the 4600 pro4 today...going to wait to put it in though. just wanted to grab it since the lhs had it in stock
Wondering if you had a chance to run the pro4 yet? Would like to know how it compares to the Novak?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.