Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kazuaki
I've been considering converting my shocks to an emulsion setup and have seen a few videos on how to do it.
Tim Bump from Nitrohouse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgLTY17vPHg
Mike Truhe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=eWBAKC-c1s4
For those that have converted your shocks over to an emulsion setup, I've got a few questions:
1) These two guys show two different methods. Tim doesn't bleed the shocks, which obviously leaves a lot of air in there. Mike seems to use the bleed hole, which probably gets rid of almost all of the air. So, I'm wondering which approach is correct? Isn't there supposed to be air mixed with the oil?
2) In Tim's walkthrough he mentions he usually needs to go up 5wt in oil when converting to emulsion. Have you guys found that to be true? I just want to know where I should start. If it matters, I'm currently running #5 piston and 27.5wt with the bladders.
3) what has been your overall experience with these on a larger outdoor track? I'm looking to be able to handle the big jumps better, while still keeping my current small-bump handling.

Thanks guys!
Emulsion shocks have to have some air mixed with the oil to allow for compression as the shock shaft goes in. I am not saying any one method is any better than the other. This is just the way I have been doing it for years and I am more consistent at getting the rebound I want out of the shocks. The shock I capped off in the video had more rebound than the one Mike did. With less rebound, the truck will travel smoother over rough terrain. If you do use the method I videoed, you can get less rebound like Mike's by sliding the shaft farther in before putting the cap on. This will also result in less air mixing with the shock oil. This can be a good tuning option that is easy to try at the track. I will sometimes run less rebound in the rear shocks to get the rear to settle down when the track ruts up. Just try a couple different rebound settings without changing anything else to see what works for your truck and your driving style. I think you will be surprised at the difference it can make. Just make sure you let your shocks sit for a while before changing rebound so that all the bubbles float out of the oil.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Oh SNAP! Getting close guys!
Nice one, Salad! What is the bunch of thin wires coming out on one side? I see two separately for the fan, three to the receiver, what about the rest?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Can you build the emulsion shocks with the stock plastic caps (with bleeder hole drilled) or do you have to use the metal caps?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

I need to write faster. 15 posts will go by on this thread before I can finish mine
Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stevepowling
Can you build the emulsion shocks with the stock plastic caps (with bleeder hole drilled) or do you have to use the metal caps?
You can drill a hole in the plastic ones and that will work fine as well.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cavg
I'm alone at the local track with the scte. Others are running sc10 4x4, durango and the hongnor.

Here is a clip from my truck running it on the stand. Is this how it's supposed to sound. Mostly i'm concerned about the sound when releasing the throttle. Coming from the rear part of the truck.

Check it out!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Sounds normal to me, check to make sure you have no drag brake on... That clicking you hear when you spin down I believe is the motor/pinion/spur. It's notchy and when you get low on the RPM's and the clicking is the spur/pinion sound.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dtr
Nice one, Salad! What is the bunch of thin wires coming out on one side? I see two separately for the fan, three to the receiver, what about the rest?
The two wires, black and red leads are for battery, the three empty gold bullet plugs are where the VX4's plug in. You then have the receiver cord, the VPort (on/off button) and the fan which plugs into the ESC. The motors come pre-soldered with bullet connectors.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Casper
You can drill a hole in the plastic ones and that will work fine as well.
Thanks! I might try building them tonight.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Tim, Ryan, Casper, thanks for the reply and all the great info. I'll try it out and see how it handles.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know everybody's been writing about the servo saver to loctite it down, in that process how tight do you go ? all the way with a pair of pliers and back it off two turns or what ? Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You want to tighten it so you have at least 2mm of thread showing below the nut.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SaladFork
The two wires, black and red leads are for battery, the three empty gold bullet plugs are where the VX4's plug in. You then have the receiver cord, the VPort (on/off button) and the fan which plugs into the ESC. The motors come pre-soldered with bullet connectors.
Thanks! But still some missing, the part wich I have marked looks like a built-in sensor wire, a bit too many wires for an on/off switch.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread-copperhead1a.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtr
Thanks! But still some missing, the part wich I have marked looks like a built-in sensor wire, a bit too many wires for an on/off switch.
Viper stuff gets programmed through the switch, so no need to unplug it from the RX.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dtr
The Vport switch has the extra wires coming from the on/off button. It's where you plugin the ProGauge when you want to edit the ESC.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I'm looking for a little setup advice. I run at Nor-Cal hobbies where the Nats ran this summer. On a normal club race weekend the track is not watered and it is very hard pack with a bit of dust in the corners.

I'd like to reduce turn in and the truck will occasionally traction roll or kick the rear end out off power.

I started with Dakota Phend's setup from the nats. I have changed the following:

Diff Oils: 7/5/2

Shock Oils: 27.5 F/R

Ride Height w/ body on:
F: 25mm
R: 23.5mm

Camber:
F:-3
R:-1.5

Rear shocks: Middle top/ Outside rear

I've tried running Soft Enduros F/R and BowFighter M2 F/ Soft Enduro R. I also bought a set of the Losi Eclipse to try in the rear, but didn't have a chance to try them out.

Would going to the purple spring in the front help slow down turn in? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.