Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jammin SCRT10 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bcgriff
I am beyond confused when I read everyone's posts regarding tire and wheel selection.

I understand the stock tire/wheel combo on the SCRT-10 is too small.

What size wheel is best?

What tire is best?

Do I need any offset for different wheels to work?

I understand the response will be purely opinion, but I am just trying to get a better idea of what to get.

Thanks in advance!
Clearly all those Jammin owners that are racing are using either the 2.2/3.0 SCT wheels and tires or the 8th scale buggy wheels/tires with 17mm hex drive adapters. Tire/wheel selection has a lot to do with which body you are using. The stock body can fit the Slash rear wheels and tires with some additional trimming. Proline makes the zero offset wheels that work even better under the stock body. If you consider after market SCT bodies then you can use the Slash Fronts and still be within ROAR specs. I have a set of Rulux Slash fronts and JConcept Subcultures that I will be using in my next race. I have not used Slash fronts yet and want the additional stability that width should provide.

Best Wheels: I think Slash Fronts are the right choice. The 2.2/3.0 wheels are ROAR legal.
Best tires: Track dependant. I have seen the following tires most:
- AKA Enduros Soft and Supersoft
- Proline Bowties M3 or M4
- Proline Caliber M3 or M4
- JConcept Subcultures
Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wstuart
Spares - arms diff seals shock seals - plastic steering parts, hubs and blocks if you dent get aluminum, hinge pins, hardware.

Essential upgrades for racing:

The rear upper a-arm hinge pin retainer - this is guaranteed to break if you dont get aluminum

akerman bar must be aluminum.

steering ball cups must be replaced with traxxas ball joints - some use dubro, some use rpm ball cups - i prefer traxxas. you will have to dremel down the joint and front diff case to retain your steering when you use these though.

front bumper - either t-bone racing or the "sc10 mod" - i like t-bone

aluminum servo arm

jconcepts rulux slash-rear offset all the way around and aka tires. the only proline tires i would get would be suburbs for indoor clay.

Recommended:

front c-hubs and steering blocks (strc).

rear hubs - aluminum

dont waiste your money on ofna parts get strc

carbon fiber top plate

aluminum steering rack.
Be sure to get the newest strc one because the original strc steering rack had a defect

desert rat 2.0 body.

My opinion:

I just swapped out my strc aluminum steering for stock and I bought the PBS so I could save weight. the car feels way lighter and drives way better!!!!
Using that much aluminum up front adds ALOT of weight that is not necessary if you drive like an idiot. I do agree that all the hubs and steering should be aluminum but only if you are the guy trying to hit the quad every lap

this is the best advice Ive gotten on this car and it came from the fastest guy at our track (who hasnt modified a single part).

"Instead of trying the quad - double double. And instead of spending $150 on aluminum, drive conservative and right and spend the money on dialed tires (AKA ENDURO SS ftw). you have a lighter faster car everywhere else on the track and your gains in consistency will more than make up for the .5 sec you lost by doubling in."

I still havnt decided if i like the pbs. its definitely durable and way lighter but i feel like i have less steering. i will know for sure if i like it after i race west coast this sunday and ill make a post
While I disagree on the essentials for racing. I have not added any aluminum stuff to mine and I race very competitively. On the other hand, the comment about driving more conservatively is absolutely spot on.

I get really frustrated watching people try a nearly unmakeable jump lap after lap. They make it once and think they will do it every time. Crashing and getting marshalled just once in a race will probably wipe out any time savings you made making it that one time. I don't know why people don't learn this lesson sooner. Granted I have been racing almost 30 years, but I learned long ago I'm not the fastest guy out there by a long shot, but by driving conservatively and not crashing, I seem to always be very competitive at the races.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chiro972
While I disagree on the essentials for racing. I have not added any aluminum stuff to mine and I race very competitively. On the other hand, the comment about driving more conservatively is absolutely spot on.

I get really frustrated watching people try a nearly unmakeable jump lap after lap. They make it once and think they will do it every time. Crashing and getting marshalled just once in a race will probably wipe out any time savings you made making it that one time. I don't know why people don't learn this lesson sooner. Granted I have been racing almost 30 years, but I learned long ago I'm not the fastest guy out there by a long shot, but by driving conservatively and not crashing, I seem to always be very competitive at the races.
I too have not added any aluminum parts. With the HV4.5 motor I find it hard not wanting to go for the big jumps. I have had some breakage and a lot of marshalling. My results are poor so far because of it. So no I will head to the next race with a conservative approach. My skills are still growing.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
Clearly all those Jammin owners that are racing are using either the 2.2/3.0 SCT wheels and tires or the 8th scale buggy wheels/tires with 17mm hex drive adapters. Tire/wheel selection has a lot to do with which body you are using. The stock body can fit the Slash rear wheels and tires with some additional trimming. Proline makes the zero offset wheels that work even better under the stock body. If you consider after market SCT bodies then you can use the Slash Fronts and still be within ROAR specs. I have a set of Rulux Slash fronts and JConcept Subcultures that I will be using in my next race. I have not used Slash fronts yet and want the additional stability that width should provide.

Best Wheels: I think Slash Fronts are the right choice. The 2.2/3.0 wheels are ROAR legal.
Best tires: Track dependant. I have seen the following tires most:
- AKA Enduros Soft and Supersoft
- Proline Bowties M3 or M4
- Proline Caliber M3 or M4
- JConcept Subcultures
Thanks!
I am going to run Slash Front's all around. While they may be a little sluggish in the corners the extra stability is what I need as I am still very new to this sport and learning as I go.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Initiate

I am not familiar with what you are calling the "akerman bar". What is that? Is there another more common name for it?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 42 (96%+)

Spares - arms diff seals shock seals - plastic steering parts, hubs and blocks if you dent get aluminum, hinge pins, hardware.

Essential upgrades for racing:

The rear upper a-arm hinge pin retainer - this is guaranteed to break if you dont get aluminum

steering ball cups must be replaced with traxxas ball joints - some use dubro, some use rpm ball cups - i prefer traxxas. you will have to dremel down the joint and front diff case to retain your steering when you use these though.

front bumper - either t-bone racing or the "sc10 mod" - i like t-bone

aluminum servo arm

jconcepts rulux slash-rear offset all the way around and aka tires. the only proline tires i would get would be suburbs for indoor clay.

Recommended:

front c-hubs and steering blocks (strc).

rear hubs - aluminum

dont waiste your money on ofna parts get strc

carbon fiber top plate

aluminum steering rack.
Be sure to get the newest strc one because the original strc steering rack had a defect

desert rat 2.0 body.

My opinion:

I just swapped out my strc aluminum steering for stock and I bought the PBS so I could save weight. the car feels way lighter and drives way better!!!!
Using that much aluminum up front adds ALOT of weight that is not necessary if you drive like an idiot. I do agree that all the hubs and steering should be aluminum but only if you are the guy trying to hit the quad every lap

this is the best advice Ive gotten on this car and it came from the fastest guy at our track (who hasnt modified a single part).

"Instead of trying the quad - double double. And instead of spending $150 on aluminum, drive conservative and right and spend the money on dialed tires (AKA ENDURO SS ftw). you have a lighter faster car everywhere else on the track and your gains in consistency will more than make up for the .5 sec you lost by doubling in."

I still havnt decided if i like the pbs. its definitely durable and way lighter but i feel like i have less steering. i will know for sure if i like it after i race west coast this sunday and ill make a post

Thank you very much. Now What is this slash Rear off set???

What ESC/Motor Combo does one run??

I was thinking Mamba Monster with a 2650 kv motor??
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

I am not familiar with what you are calling the "akerman bar". What is that? Is there another more common name for it?
The part number is ofn40895 Servo Saver Rack CNC. Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Initiate

What are everyone's thoughts on the front upper CNC arm holders?
OFN40896
Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What are everyone's thoughts on the front upper CNC arm holders?
OFN40896
Defiantly better than stock, however I have broke one of the aluminum ones a few weeks ago. The aluminum servo bell crank/ackerman is also nice, if you look at the stock part it's pretty weak. I have bent the aluminum ackerman also but was able to bend it back. No parts are safe with me he he.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Defiantly better than stock, however I have broke one of the aluminum ones a few weeks ago. The aluminum servo bell crank/ackerman is also nice, if you look at the stock part it's pretty weak. I have bent the aluminum ackerman also but was able to bend it back. No parts are safe with me he he.
I bet your the guy trying to clear the quad every time?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PsycoB4
Thank you very much. Now What is this slash Rear off set???

What ESC/Motor Combo does one run??

I was thinking Mamba Monster with a 2650 kv motor??
Mamba Max Pro with a Novak 4.5 Ballistic and toss on a Castle BEC to be safe.
MMM would work but you really don't want a true 1/8th scale motor in this rig, its over kill. However it can be done and if you feel the need for that much power, by all means do it.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone make a roll bar for the SCRT-10 similar to what the hyper has?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

I bet your the guy trying to clear the quad every time?
No my biggest issue is always landing off kilter, usually on one of the front wheels. I run on a big track and constantly over drive the truck. Here is the track and one of my drivers piloting my truck, the jumps are huge.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Track Star/ Short Course Head Quarters will be out at Hemet tonight if anyone needs Jammin parts.

We will also have DE Racing "Trinidad" wheels, AKA tires, Pro Line bodies and of course Fantom motors.

We are mainly out at the track to help "you" the racer with track side help.

If you need help with anything from set up to driving tips to whatever or just want to introduce yourself come by and say "Hello".

I also want to throw out there that we have been working with a customer and friend to get faster in SCT. His name is Jeff White and has been racing competitively for about 1.5 months now. He started out with a Slash (a very heavily modified slash) and now runs a box stock (changed out the wheels and tires) RTR Kyosho Ultima SC with our prep work and set up on it.

I invite you to watch Jeff run the stock class tonight if you are going to Hemet.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

quick update on the aluminum upper steering bellcrank arm we are updating. It should be arriving today. Those of you that bought our aluminum bellcrank set can receive a free updated upper bellcrank arm if you send me the following:

1) email a picture of your aluminum bellcrank set from us, or a receipt, to show that you did purchase the part (whether it is through us, or through a shop, we will take care of you)

2) I need your ship to address in the email to send the replacement out.

Please send information to: [email protected]

Please don't PM me on RC Tech, just so I can keep all information coming to one place and not get confused

I will most likely be able to start shipping them out as early as monday!

I like to thank everyone for being patient and understanding with us fixing this problem.

Steve W.
ST Racing Concepts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.