Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you're a basher be sure to TAKE YOUR TIME in learning how to drive in race conditions and even bashing with a 410. Durango's vehicles are such that they are precision engineered so the parts have e tad less give in favor of ultimate performance.

What leads to breakage on this car is overzealous driving at times because it is sooooooo damn good u feel you can sometimes do the impossible, something I was prone to doing early on with this beast, and you end up smashing it nicely. However, this is not the fault of the car nor is it particularly brittle or weak. This thing is just as much of a tank when driven appropriately.

As for Electronics, no need to drop so much going for them. Hobby wing's 3.1 is insanely great and the Toro ESC's are tremendously good and cost far less than most. Toro is what I will be buying moving forward. I've spent the loads of cash for the supposed best quality electronics and have since then run other brands that are thought of as lesser quality and I can honestly say, you don't get more simply because you pay more.

Save your hard earned dough and spend it on Wheels & tires, Tires, TIRES!!!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got tired of servo issues and picked up a Savox brushless, and was it ever a tight fit, but I am running 7.4 volts/ stupid fast, .065 seconds and 277 in oz torque. It is more servo than needed for sure, and it is a bit heavy on the front end, but I really like the reliability. I use the 1274, same size, and it is a beast in my Desc410, .07 speed @ 7.4 volts, and 347 oz. in. torque!

Last edited by platgof; 07-29-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by the incubus
If you're a basher be sure to TAKE YOUR TIME in learning how to drive in race conditions and even bashing with a 410. Durango's vehicles are such that they are precision engineered so the parts have e tad less give in favor of ultimate performance.

What leads to breakage on this car is overzealous driving at times because it is sooooooo damn good u feel you can sometimes do the impossible, something I was prone to doing early on with this beast, and you end up smashing it nicely. However, this is not the fault of the car nor is it particularly brittle or weak. This thing is just as much of a tank when driven appropriately.

As for Electronics, no need to drop so much going for them. Hobby wing's 3.1 is insanely great and the Toro ESC's are tremendously good and cost far less than most. Toro is what I will be buying moving forward. I've spent the loads of cash for the supposed best quality electronics and have since then run other brands that are thought of as lesser quality and I can honestly say, you don't get more simply because you pay more.

Save your hard earned dough and spend it on Wheels & tires, Tires, TIRES!!!
Originally Posted by platgof
I got tired of servo issues and picked up a Savox brushless, and was it ever tight, but I am running 7.4 volts and stupid fast, .06 seconds.
Thanks for the help guys. It's a good idea to save some money on ESC and motor as the ones I chose initially were expensive. Then I can buy a load of wheels and tires (because we all love taping, glueing, and balancing them).

Brings me to my next point- running a 6s E-Revo with monster truck tires creates a lot of ballooning. Do you guys need to tape and balance wheels at the 1/10 2s level?
Old 07-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nope! No need to tape. Just your foams and proper glueing of the tires. Balancing is something I've not found beneficial being as the foam WILL dance around inside the tire so if you balance the tires, chances are if you check the tires after a run they will no longer be balanced.

As for ballooning, there is some, but only once you get half way down a long straight when running Mod class or if you throttle considerably in the air. Other than that a Mod wheeler is a quick beast that you must only drive all out in a very select FEW spots, and to do your absolute best you will want to be precise and steady, ensuring you hit your braking points and accelerating smoothly through all the twisty and technical stuff.

Get it all just right and you will experience a rush unlike any other.

A good piece of advice it to run on the track slowly until you get a feel for it and when you think you are ready to go faster, pull your car off the track and watch the fast guys to see how and when they choose their spots and study how they approach jumps and series of turns so you have a better understanding of what you should be striving for and for heaven's sake… Don't try and make a Triple or Quad until you are ready. LOL
Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Spur Gear Stripping.

Hey guys. I need some help. I am ripping through spur gears. I can only get a few laps in. I have had multiple people look at it and nobody has a clue because it all looks good. Good rotation, nothing looks out of the ordinary. I am ready to retire this car. I only run it in sportsman anyway because there is no 1/10 buggy class around here.

Does anyone know of a metal spur gear? The machined one just strips. I have tried multiple pinions, gear ratios ect. Not sure what else I can do.

It is an older model, DEX410R, I am not sure if the spur gear has changed much.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 PM
ekt
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IJoker
Hey guys. I need some help. I am ripping through spur gears. I can only get a few laps in. I have had multiple people look at it and nobody has a clue because it all looks good. Good rotation, nothing looks out of the ordinary. I am ready to retire this car. I only run it in sportsman anyway because there is no 1/10 buggy class around here.

Does anyone know of a metal spur gear? The machined one just strips. I have tried multiple pinions, gear ratios ect. Not sure what else I can do.

The things I would check if you're stripping spurs -
- Gear mesh, too loose or tight can strip them.
- Bearings are in good order
- Slipper isn't too tight.
- Drive train isn't binding.
- Pinions are the right pitch, 48P
Old 08-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ekt
Gear mesh looks good. I put in new bearing with latest spur, slipper is loose, I think I have the right pitch pinion I will have to double check. How can I tell if the drive train is binding? I have notice a bit of wear on the back. It seems to be rubbing on the battery cage which I have dremmeled down a bit.

I ran it on my bench very very slow and everything looked good. No binding that I could see. arrgh.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Also make sure your screws holding your motor together are not loose and the center slipper has all the required parts.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ekt
Just make sure you don't have a Metric 48P (normally comes with a tamiya and some older Xray kits) It's slightly different than a standard 48P.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What motor do you have? We had a guy at our track who was mincing his spurs, but he was trying to use a 540 Quad pole motor . Just too much power if you're pinion/spur mesh is not right, or slips on a jump. That's my major gripe with the DEX410, the motor mount, too fiddly (compared to modern slot and turn in ones) and hard to get to.

He later changed down to 5.5T but then had his slipper loose, which caused the spur to warp ( and later melt out the middle ) but when it was warping the teeth were minced again.

I've replaced mine with the much thicker RW spurs for MOD ( I run 8.5T) and use the Durango Machined Spurs for Stock (17.5T), but I feel more secure with the RW. I also don't use the Durango slipper pads (latest ones I'm running are standard Associated, which are slightly thicker ). Garodisc is also a great replacement if you can get em.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default dex410 basic advise

Ok, so for years I have been running with my kids, having a blast, last few years in the short course classes like everyone else. About a year ago I started having health issues, and things aren't looking good so I made some changes in case things don't get better. About a week ago, a local guy basically handed me a dex410, it was built but never run, I'm not even sure what version it is. It's got a lot of the much needed upgrades, weights, aluminum goodies, ect, ect. I normally run castle systems, but sold my things to fund my 8 year son's ventures, and to spend time watching and teaching while I still can. So this car, which I like also came with 2 unused smc saddle lipos, a savox servo, and I suppose now to my point, a unused turnigy trackstar 80a 4 pole 3250 brushless combo, which if my math is correct, is a about 10 or 10.5 tums. I'm not familiar with the combo, but, I'm gonna use it, and it did come with a programming box. So what should I gear it? Stock spur, I believe an 87, but I don't need to be fast, I'm looking for a good pinion combo for torque and still have some speed with running excessive heat issues. I understand it'll have more torque being a 4 pole motor and lower kv rating, but what would a good balance be on a 5000mah 2s saddle lipo, 30c, 60c burst? Any help would be appreciated, I don't have intentions of running it like I used to, just when I feel well enough at club level, and on our track, while separating his and my class to focus on him.*
Thanks for anyone's input, I just need a body and wing and some advise and I'm good to go hopefully
Old 08-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darrin011
Ok, so for years I have been running with my kids, having a blast, last few years in the short course classes like everyone else. About a year ago I started having health issues, and things aren't looking good so I made some changes in case things don't get better. About a week ago, a local guy basically handed me a dex410, it was built but never run, I'm not even sure what version it is. It's got a lot of the much needed upgrades, weights, aluminum goodies, ect, ect. I normally run castle systems, but sold my things to fund my 8 year son's ventures, and to spend time watching and teaching while I still can. So this car, which I like also came with 2 unused smc saddle lipos, a savox servo, and I suppose now to my point, a unused turnigy trackstar 80a 4 pole 3250 brushless combo, which if my math is correct, is a about 10 or 10.5 tums. I'm not familiar with the combo, but, I'm gonna use it, and it did come with a programming box. So what should I gear it? Stock spur, I believe an 87, but I don't need to be fast, I'm looking for a good pinion combo for torque and still have some speed with running excessive heat issues. I understand it'll have more torque being a 4 pole motor and lower kv rating, but what would a good balance be on a 5000mah 2s saddle lipo, 30c, 60c burst? Any help would be appreciated, I don't have intentions of running it like I used to, just when I feel well enough at club level, and on our track, while separating his and my class to focus on him.*
Thanks for anyone's input, I just need a body and wing and some advise and I'm good to go hopefully
A 4 pole motor is way too much and more than likely rip the drivetrain to pieces....4 pole motors are made mostly for 4wd SC. If you haven't raced in awhile get a 2 pole 10.5
Old 08-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

And gear it where for decent speed and torque and keep the temps in check? I don't need it to be a rocket, just usable performance as it will see little serious track time
Old 08-08-2015, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kerby
A 4 pole motor is way too much and more than likely rip the drivetrain to pieces....4 pole motors are made mostly for 4wd SC. If you haven't raced in awhile get a 2 pole 10.5

The DEX410 has the same drivetrain as the DESC410 and will handle a 4 pole just fine
Old 08-08-2015, 05:21 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm not worried about the drivetrain in the car, it was never ran, has some upgrades, weights, aluminum parts, I just need to know where you guys think I should start with a pinion gear, I believe the spur is stock, 87, but I'll check again. I don't need a bullet ride, just a good medium happy between speed, torque and runtime as it will be used at club level only once in a while but mainly on our track which is where my son practices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.