Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Team Tekin

It hurt believe me. Hopefully saves us from hundreds of where are they emails since we really have a lot of other things to do.

On the bright side we did get some preproduction motors with the anodizing and the etching and they look sweet! Everything really is running perfect and now we just have to build a lot of them.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's great news! Aside from the motor images posted on the Tekin site would we be able to get a sneak preview of the recent preproduction units?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Thanks Bob, made me laugh!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I got a question about solder tabs. Never used them before so... It takes alot of heat to solder 10/12 guage wire. Whats the biggest the esc accepts? Looks like the slots is were the wire goes. Is there any worry and what stops the heat while soldering from unsoldering the wire terminal from the inside of the esc board and same thing on the motor. Whats stops the heat while soldering from unsoldering the other side of the solder tab on the inside of the motor?

Are these going to be as effecient as the Neu motors?

What are you guys setting or what is the max temp limit for the motors/magnets?

I see all the stuff on stormer. Is anyone backordering one?

Last edited by Speed_Freak_039; 02-26-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed_Freak_039
I got a question about solder tabs. Never used them before so... It takes alot of heat to solder 10/12 guage wire. Whats the biggest the esc accepts? Looks like the slots is were the wire goes. Is there any worry and what stops the heat from unsoldering the wire terminal from the inside of the esc board and same thing on the motor. Whats stops the heat from unsoldering the other side of the solder tab on the inside of the motor?

Are these going to be as effecient as the Neu motors?

What are you guys setting or what is the max temp limit for the motors/magnets?

I see all the stuff on stormer. Is anyone backordering one?
As for as the solder posts go, the slot is designed to hold more solder for an easier soldering application. The posts themselves are also designed to work as a heat sync and as long as there is a good connection, there should not be any problems. Poor connections however cause higher resistance and resistance and current cause heat. Excess heat unsolders wires. Plain and simple, make a good solder joint and forget about it, because it will not cause any problems.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

I mean heat from soldering them in the first place. Will when you solder the wires from the esc to the motor will that heat unsolder the insides of the motor or the esc?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

I mean heat from soldering them in the first place. Will when you solder the wires from the esc to the motor will that heat unsolder the insides of the motor or the esc?
lol No, You would have to seriously hold your iron on there for I dont know how long and you would see the casing become plyable before that.

Originally Posted by RCBLUE
Poor connections however cause higher resistance and resistance and current cause heat. Excess heat unsolders wires. Plain and simple, make a good solder joint and forget about it, because it will not cause any problems.
Exactly the reason it confused me when people asked about bullet connections and thought they would run cooler Unless I am missing something I dont see how adding resistance would help it run cooler. I could have read it wrong though.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Like Josh said, that will not happen. I don't know for a fact, but I would assume that they might use a different blend of solder with a higher melting point just like the manufactures did when they made brushed motor arms.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Team Tekin

It takes a lot of heat, if you did flow the solder on the posts down on the board and it became loose, you were on it WAY too long. A good solder joint takes less than 5 seconds to flow if you're doing it right. Sometimes even quicker. It's all about having both parts you are joining tinned and heated when you bring them together and then they will flow together very nicely.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Team Tekin

The guys are right. We use High Temp solder on the motor/battery connections on the esc/motor to prevent this from happening in the first place. You will be fine soldering the 10 awg wire to the motor and esc.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

OK thankx, never thought of having the wires already warm and ready to go. We pre tin them. OK thankx. Cant wait for them to come out.

Has anyone backordered one? I might get me one.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have mine backordered with the 1700 KV truggy motor and I am planning on running 5S. I was gonna run 6S but I was told that would be overkill, so I will try the 5S and see how it performs. I ran the Novak with the 3400 KV on the 3S last year but IMO it got rather warm, so I decided last year that I would wait until Tekin came out with an 1/8th scale system to buy a new one. I love my RS Pro and can't wait to get the RX8.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Hey tekin, what are you guys going to post average and max motor temperatures before damage?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Team Tekin

Max temps on the motors, I keep them under 180*. Just like the 1/10th scale motors, run them up too hot and you risk cooking the windings, the magnets starts to de-magnetize and things go bad.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Team Tekin

Ty's right, 180 is where I'd start to look at my setup to change.

The esc has theral protection and should not be a problem. We've been testing them without the fans and have yet to thermal one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.