Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by jinxed
A friend of mine Pat drive Jim's Eight this weekend said it was awesome!
Yeah Pat came out to meet us there, I was freezing but it was fun catching that much air on a BMX track! That's about the most abuse anything is ever gonna see and I can tell you that launching 40+ feet off a table top and flying about 15+ feet off the ground to a flat landing is hard on stuff and the RX8 never skipped a beat.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Yeah Pat came out to meet us there, I was freezing but it was fun catching that much air on a BMX track! That's about the most abuse anything is ever gonna see and I can tell you that launching 40+ feet off a table top and flying about 15+ feet off the ground to a flat landing is hard on stuff and the RX8 never skipped a beat.
Good to hear RX8 is holding up well.

BTW are the jumps anything like this monster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UttZU8UUIw
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
Why not just get a faster servo then. You cant possibly need 400+oz of torque.

I went back after after I smoked a 5955 on straight 2s. It smoked on the 2nd run.
Problem is the faster TG series Hitec servos are not as good as the 5955 servos. The 5955 servo shares the same motor and circuit board as the 5995 robot servos. Some guys have put the 5996, 5997 or 5998 gear sets in a 5955 to speed it up though and that works well. As for the torque you don't need it in the buggy but I love how it feels in my MBX5T

I have been running direct 2S LiPo's on my servos for almost three years now and haven't had any issues. I know dozens of other guys that do as well. I will never run a regulator in my nitro cars as it is just another component that can fail (and is probably why I will stick with my 2S RX packs in the electric conversions as well). You'll never dump the Rx pack before your main pack.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Plus, you have to keep in mind, some folks don't adjust their EPA's correctly and that could have a lot to do with servo failure with extra voltage.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by az00lude
Good to hear RX8 is holding up well.

BTW are the jumps anything like this monster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UttZU8UUIw
That one huge one was about as big as the table I was launching off of, clearing the single landing after it by about 10 feet or so. That was some good airtime too!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Tekin:

Can you share some of your research on what the optimal RPM is for both run time and power? I have been running 5s with a 1512 3d (1700kv) for the past year and find it gives excellent combination of efficiency and power. This is about 30k rpm. Have you found this to be true with your motors as well?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Efficiency on the track is based on a lot of factors. Track layout and driving style are often a larger factor to efficiency overs just motor choice.

However if you can find the right balance between driving style, track layout, AND motor choice you will win.

Yes we firmly believe that chosing the right rpm range for your application will have the largest gains on the track. I've often said it before, the right tools for the appication.

No sense in running a 6s on a 2600kv motor and wonder why it can do 70 on the straight but you dump 8 minutes into and all the car does is light up the tires.

Wasted energy is bad for lap times. If your car is in the air, you can't accelerate. If your car is riding on 1/8" diameter of contact with the track , again it's not going to accelerate.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Efficiency on the track is based on a lot of factors. Track layout and driving style are often a larger factor to efficiency overs just motor choice.

However if you can find the right balance between driving style, track layout, AND motor choice you will win.

Yes we firmly believe that chosing the right rpm range for your application will have the largest gains on the track. I've often said it before, the right tools for the appication.

No sense in running a 6s on a 2600kv motor and wonder why it can do 70 on the straight but you dump 8 minutes into and all the car does is light up the tires.

Wasted energy is bad for lap times. If your car is in the air, you can't accelerate. If your car is riding on 1/8" diameter of contact with the track , again it's not going to accelerate.
I agree. I was just curious if there was an sweet spot with the motors that you have found during your testing. It seems to be 30k with the Neu motors IMHO.

With my Neu's, there is a noticeable difference in runtime when you run at 30k rpm vs 37k rpm. I have found 30k to be optimal - still faster than a nitro with the right gearing, not straining the electronics/battery, or over working the motor - regardless of track size.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
Problem is the faster TG series Hitec servos are not as good as the 5955 servos. The 5955 servo shares the same motor and circuit board as the 5995 robot servos. Some guys have put the 5996, 5997 or 5998 gear sets in a 5955 to speed it up though and that works well. As for the torque you don't need it in the buggy but I love how it feels in my MBX5T

I have been running direct 2S LiPo's on my servos for almost three years now and haven't had any issues. I know dozens of other guys that do as well. I will never run a regulator in my nitro cars as it is just another component that can fail (and is probably why I will stick with my 2S RX packs in the electric conversions as well). You'll never dump the Rx pack before your main pack.
The 7955 is the same also right? I know its a G2 or something.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

TEKIN

Amain says april first.

Stormer says middle of march.

Who wins?

I want to buy it asap so i can race while the weather is still relatively coool
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
We are considering some mobile devices, but in most cases those are not simply open and welcome to all. If it can run windows and has USB we have a good shot.
Any plans in the works for a custom hand held device in addition to the hotwire/PC interface? Like the expansion system bundled with the Speedpassion SA:

http://www.speedpassion.net/product.php?lang=&c=38
Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Team Tekin

No. We don't feel that any handheld device is going to be up to the task to make the adjustments needed properly.

Any adjustment you're making on the current handhelds are the same ones you can make via the RS or RX8's on board interface via the mode and inc. buttons.

The only ones that aren't are timing settings and custom profiles. The sensored only mode is another but most know if they're going to be in that more ahead of time.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whatever changes made to the ESC via a PC can be done thru a handheld. No technical limits there.

I would rather carry a handheld in my pitbox than a laptop if I wanted to modify settings on the track requiring computer intervention.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Team Tekin

I agree with your statement that there are no technical limits to not using a handheld. We aren't going to support it. Almost everyone has a computer weather it's at the house or a laptop that they take to the track. A handheld also doesn't support flash programming where a computer and Hotwire do. Some people prefer certain software levels and go back and forth depending on track. This would require a fairly smart handheld to do which would drive the costs up.

We currently have no plans to make the BEC adjustable. However it may be supported in the future. We preffered to make sure that the BEC is strong, consistent as well as make sure it can't deliver voltage it shouldn't.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

If supported in the future it would be via a software upgrade and not a new unit right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.