Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nice pics. Now go try to break it so I can decide if I want to buy one
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

I wants to cut the 3wires from esc to motor, and place 3 x 4mm gold connectors between. Will these hold up well? Or is it better to take 6mm? I wants to use these also on my lipos.
I wants to do this so I can easy change my motor without soldering.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Take 6mm plugs. 4mm gets unplugged so easy it isn't even funny.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Team Tekin

You did not install the sensor wire tie down? We have not really had much problem with the sensor plug falling out, but it does happen in this abusive application. Fortunately even if the plug does come out we roll to pure sensorless and you continue racing just fine.

We used 4mm connectors on the motor wires in a lot of our testing and never had any issues. We do offer 5.5mm and 6.5mm connectors that are pretty nice. We still think 12awg wire is large enough and allows for better solder connections overall.
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-t8-cable-tie-sm.jpg  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
You did not install the sensor wire tie down? We have not really had much problem with the sensor plug falling out, but it does happen in this abusive application. Fortunately even if the plug does come out we roll to pure sensorless and you continue racing just fine.
Thanks for the tip. Was wondering what the heck that little black thing was for.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

One quick warning guys!!!!! From what I'm seeing in the Hotwire software, the default setting for the Low Voltage Cutoff is "OFF"!!!!!!!! There is no setting for "auto lipo" like in the CC controller. You need to set the cutoff before running your lipo down!!!

Just noticed this. Its a simple thing, but easy to assume incorrectly and could be costly so I figured id post it up here.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the info. That could really save some headaches.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

First Impressions

This system is the shit.

Its very very smooth. Way smoother then the MMM.

I have the truggy 1550 combo in a 2.0 buggy on 6s. I have it geared at 13/46. After about 8 min of full throttle passes, the motor got to 120 F. For comparsion ambient temp is about 91F and the pavement is 125F.

Couple of things for you guys still waiting.

Make sure you have a good sottering iron for doing the sotter posts. I tried using my radioshack POS one and it didnt work that well. I went and bought a weller 40W and the install went way better. Very easy to do with a good iron.

The screws that mount the motor are weird. I went to ace and got m4 screws, because thats what the losi mount accepts and what tekin had said it was threaded for, but m4 screws are loose when threaded in. It tightens up good on the mount, but felt very wobbly threading in. There is nothing specified in the manual about which screw size and thread should be used.

There is a spelling error on the side of the box. It is the word enegrgy. Should be energy. Just FYI in case no one else caught it.

Be very careful putting the fan in and out, the small wires snag on the heatsink and can tear. I put the fan in upside down at first, had to take it back out and it tore the wire off, luckily I was able to sotter it back on.

The motor has almost no magnetic drag. It makes it feel weird when turned by hand, but good. I like that it coasts a lot longer now.

I am about to go to the Nitro Pit to go race it for the first time. If any track can find a fault in a system its the Pit. It is about 91F out and getting warmer, so I am keeping my fingers crossed about temps. I should be able to get some footage there too.

So far I am impressed and happy with the system. We will see what the Pit throws at it, but so far good job TEKIN. Thank you.

Last edited by bradfox2; 04-25-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone else notice that the motor mount screw holes in the front of the motor seem to be farther apart than other motors. Not alot different, but enough that I cant get it to sit with the 2 screws aligned top to bottom in an RCM motor mount. It has to be cocked just a bit to fit in and it wont work with the keyholes that are on the motor mount. Not a big deal, just an observation.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2
First Impressions

This system is the shit.

Its very very smooth. Way smoother then the MMM.

I have the truggy 1550 combo in a 2.0 buggy on 6s. I have it geared at 13/46. After about 8 min of full throttle passes, the motor got to 120 F. For comparsion ambient temp is about 91F and the pavement is 125F.

Couple of things for you guys still waiting.

Make sure you have a good sottering iron for doing the sotter posts. I tried using my radioshack POS one and it didnt work that well. I went and bought a weller 40W and the install went way better. Very easy to do with a good iron.

The screws that mount the motor are weird. I went to ace and got m4 screws, because thats what the losi mount accepts and what tekin had said it was threaded for, but m4 screws are loose when threaded in. It tightens up good on the mount, but felt very wobbly threading in. There is nothing specified in the manual about which screw size and thread should be used.

There is a spelling error on the side of the box. It is the word enegrgy. Should be energy. Just FYI in case no one else caught it.

Be very careful putting the fan in and out, the small wires snag on the heatsink and can tear. I put the fan in upside down at first, had to take it back out and it tore the wire off, luckily I was able to sotter it back on.

The motor has almost no magnetic drag. It makes it feel weird when turned by hand, but good. I like that it coasts a lot longer now.

I am about to go to the Nitro Pit to go race it for the first time. If any track can find a fault in a system its the Pit. It is about 91F out and getting warmer, so I am keeping my fingers crossed about temps. I should be able to get some footage there too.

So far I am impressed and happy with the system. We will see what the Pit throws at it, but so far good job TEKIN. Thank you......
Kinda surprised you caught the spelling error with all the "sottering" you're doing.

All joking aside....Good to be hearing some reports on this system. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
Anyone else notice that the motor mount screw holes in the front of the motor seem to be farther apart than other motors. Not alot different, but enough that I cant get it to sit with the 2 screws aligned top to bottom in an RCM motor mount. It has to be cocked just a bit to fit in and it wont work with the keyholes that are on the motor mount. Not a big deal, just an observation.
Do you have calipers? Can you measure the spacing on the motor holes? Should be right on 25mm, center to center.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
Do you have calipers? Can you measure the spacing on the motor holes? Should be right on 25mm, center to center.
25.8 center to center
Old 04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avrcguy
Kinda surprised you caught the spelling error with all the "sottering" you're doing.

All joking aside....Good to be hearing some reports on this system. Thanks.
Yeah other than your "soldering" I want to hear how your track day goes at the pit Bradfox. Finally someone giving us some unpaid feedback on how this compares to what's already out there.

If anyone uses the T8 motor with the MMM please post up too. Ideally that's the setup I want to hear about.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Also noticed on the motor that the shaft can be pushed in and out about 1mm. Haven't seen that on any other motors either. Probably not and issue as long as you don't have any close clearance issues in front of or behind the pinion gear.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Can someone provide a can length for the buggy motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.