Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YonkersRC
No calibration....ESC won't turn on to calibrate...the fan just spins...could it be dead batteries? I think the steering would work even I the battery was super low...battery must be dead!!!
It can be.

Charge up the pack, attempt a power up. Also make sure you have the Rx8's servo lead connection plugged in the right way.

Did you recently update the software?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
It can be.

Charge up the pack, attempt a power up. Also make sure you have the Rx8's servo lead connection plugged in the right way.

Did you recently update the software?
I'm and idiot....it was totally plugged in wrong...now it's working perfect...amatuer mistake
Thanks for the help...
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
Yes, re-read my post.. 2-3 layers. It adds a cushioning effect, no doubt.

And I've never used a zip-tie to tie down the ESC. You want to keep the ESC secure but for sure, but you definitely don't want it to bounce and vibrate directly with the chassis, as its bumping and grinding about while you're racing. You want it to 'float', more less to reduce or eliminate any sort of 'shock' that can happen to the ESC board..
The MMP on my Vorza is secured by an enclosure that's screwed into the chassis, which seems to be doing fine.

The velcro I have is 3M stuff, it doesn't really come off unless you want it to, and then it does so cleanly, and it's easy enough to remove the ESC if needed and then put it back.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Speaking of the fan, label down, correct?
Thinking I might install it with my SC...havn't actually checked the LEDs, kinda hard to really. But things are quite warm, more so than I prefer. Then again, I'm also not having any problems.
Yep, sticker down.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (99%+)
Default RX8

RX8 overheating question,

RX8 worked flawlessly until I switched out hitec servo for savox. I noticed the car would briefly shut down/cut out while running it on our indoor clay track in my eb48. A friend told me that with the savox servo's you need to run an external BEC to fix that problem. So I borrowed one right away that day. Too my dismay now my fan is not working and speedo is 180 degrees where as before fan would not even come on and temp was 100 or less. Speedo still function normally otherwise.

Have removed savox, tried using default settings on speedo but still overheats.

Anybody have this problem before, I imagine I will have to send it back in to be fixed but was hoping maybe just a simpler fix.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Bad Company
RX8 overheating question,

RX8 worked flawlessly until I switched out hitec servo for savox. I noticed the car would briefly shut down/cut out while running it on our indoor clay track in my eb48. A friend told me that with the savox servo's you need to run an external BEC to fix that problem. So I borrowed one right away that day. Too my dismay now my fan is not working and speedo is 180 degrees where as before fan would not even come on and temp was 100 or less. Speedo still function normally otherwise.

Have removed savox, tried using default settings on speedo but still overheats.

Anybody have this problem before, I imagine I will have to send it back in to be fixed but was hoping maybe just a simpler fix.
180 isn't an overheat. The Rx8 won't thermal until 240. Have you tested your fan? The fan should spin up for 1 second at power up. After that it's temperature controlled.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow. I've always heard folks shooting for temps around 125. I know you want to run cool if you can, but you're saying 180 is no big deal and can be run that way on a normal basis? At that point, basically we could shoot for motor and ESC temps to be the same. That would be awesome; in most cases we most likely wouldn't need the fan. I'm running them, but when they fail, no need to replace.

180 isn't an overheat. The Rx8 won't thermal until 240. Have you tested your fan? The fan should spin up for 1 second at power up. After that it's temperature controlled.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey guys, what's the difference between a 3-Hole RX8 ESC and a Normal RX8 ESC?

Like this one. http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...kin-motor.html
Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Team Tekin

@RC_Tactical Yeah that's what I'm saying. I only run a fan when ambient is 100+ most of the time. If the esc is getting some air flow through the body and it's setup/geared properly for the track the fan is optional 95% of the time.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by I Wheelie A LOT
Hey guys, what's the difference between a 3-Hole RX8 ESC and a Normal RX8 ESC?

Like this one. http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...kin-motor.html
The original Rx8's had a 4 hole case. That case has been out of production for more than a year and a half. The latest case revision has only 3 mounting holes hence the reference.

The internals haven't changed on the Rx8 since production.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

LOL, You need to repeat this more often.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi!

I just put together my 1:8 buggy and i have tested different servos on the esc with no load(not connected to steering) before driving the car. i tried 3 savox servos and all of them made brown outs as soon as i used the steering, but i have a cheap bluebird servo that works just fine. i know savox is known to cause things like this but i have used my touringcar for 2 years, rs pro with zero issues with savox 1257.

im using futaba radio. this is tested without external bec, i will get one but i just want to know if this is right?? or do i have a problem with the esc???

Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Autod
Hi!

I just put together my 1:8 buggy and i have tested different servos on the esc with no load(not connected to steering) before driving the car. i tried 3 savox servos and all of them made brown outs as soon as i used the steering, but i have a cheap bluebird servo that works just fine. i know savox is known to cause things like this but i have used my touringcar for 2 years, rs pro with zero issues with savox 1257.

im using futaba radio. this is tested without external bec, i will get one but i just want to know if this is right?? or do i have a problem with the esc???

Thanks!!
Unloaded there shouldn't be a brown out however some radios are more prone to this than others. What radio system? Transmitter and receiver? I know some of the sport Spektrum stuff just doesn't get along with the Savox stuff, period.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

Hey guys how many amps is the tekin rx8 esc
Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a 1900 and a 2050kv motor. Geared the same, I see no difference. What could be the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.