Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Had two rx8s blow sent them in got one back it blew as soon as iu plugged it in and now should be getting both back this week cant wait to run them !
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fq06
With a low amp draw setup like a 1/10 buggy or stadium truck you may not see these issues. But you get into a high amp draw heavy truck with a beast of a motor and you will may have problems with the sr300.
Couple the spectrum servo with the sr300 receiver and you (as many others have) will get brownouts.

The RX8 has one of the best bec's in it but you have to get that through the sr300 to your servo. I think there lies your problem.
A buddy of mine with the rtr scte was running the low end spectrum radio that came with it (and accompanying sr300) and had nothing but problems at our indoor track. He changed the rx to the 3100(?) and that reduced the brownouts but not eliminated them. Shortly after got a Airtronics radio and problem solved.

No external bec, not a different servo (he's running savox, from what I can tell the same servo as the spectrum) and no brownouts. Only changed the rx.

For lipo pack trying to make 10 min with a scte and 4 pole without voltage sag near the end of the run, at least 6500 60c. The smc 7200 70c suggested above is the best bang for the buck in lipo's right now IMO. If you have a lighter setup like Durango or sc10 4x or whatever you can get away with less.
But that setup even with a 6500 you will feel a loss of power nearing the end of your 10 min run.

And your sucking the life out of the pack running it to cutoff where the 7200 has juice in the tank for 12+ minutes... maybe even 15. I get a solid 10 out of mine in a 6.7lb SCT conversion truck with no lack of power to make the triple.
Okay thanks a lot!!! i will try changing my RX and see what happens. Hopefully this will work. ill also try the bigger battery's for the longer run time. thanks a lot!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nthunberg89
i also saw that tower said the combos wil be back late april, is this true?
Combo''s are saying late april, esc says mid may. Although 3 weeks ago they all said late march
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by john stu
Randy a suggestion on the next hotwire software for the rx8.

I would like to see the custom Lipo cut off voltage setting go a little higher, I'm running 6s and if I run down to cutoff with it set at the highest custom cutoff setting when I put the pack back on my charger it says the pack only bat like %6 left in it and I feel this is too low. When I ran 4s I could set so it so if I hit cutoff I had like %20+ left in the pack and I feel this is much better for Lipos.

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
@john stu Noted
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Of course if Tekin really wanted to up the ante.... a hotwire app for iPad!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tio Loco
That would be great!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Agreed, but also for Android please.

Would be real nice to just fire up my Hotwire with my phone and make some changes. Seems like something that should be done honestly.

Would be a great selling feature.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Finally getting my rx8 back from warranty replacement....come on USPS!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

iPad does not have a USB port right? It would have to be blue tooth or something like that?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Team Tekin

Apple doesn't allow for USB host control. We've stated this on more than one occasion. This is why any connectivity would require a stand alone module and either wi-fi or blue tooth both of which add size to the unit,etc. They're also not the best for "flashing" micros.....
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Apples out... andriods in with mini USB

Not our (android users) fault apple locks out everything that's not apple
Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a question. I always ran Rx8's with a sensor plug but now i am not. I have steering but no throttle. On esc two of the lights come on. Any advice on what to do.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sheeeww 133 dollars because a capacitor became unsoldered!

Not to be negative towards Tekin but I sent in a RX8 February 15th because one of the internal capacitors came unsoldered. I even sent the cap in with the RX8. The rep said over the phone that the whole unit will need to be replaced because they can’t solder a cap on due to the size. I thought this was a little odd for a product that is claimed to be at least assembled in house, I would assume they could at least replace one of the boards. Now, I have been in the RX8 loop before where I had to own 2 or more of them in order to avoid down time so I am aware of the charges usually about 90 dollars or sometimes I would not get charged at all. But this time it was 133 dollars just because of a capacitor seems a little steep to me. However, I did agree to the charges and I could have said no at any time, so there for it is what it is and I made that decision. I have personally had very bad luck with the RX8’s and could not afford to run them anymore and have switched to a different brand that I am having luck with except my Tekno conversion because the RX8 has a small foot print. Well, since then almost 2 months have passed and I have started running the mamba max pro due to the small foot print. I am personally happy with it and I figured I could just go ahead and sell my RX8 when I get it and at least get my money back out of it. Finally after 2 months, it arrived today with a black heat sink. Unless you are aware that Tekin is temporarily using black, you may think that this is the first version RX8=fire. I have decided to keep it as a backup but thought I would share my customer service experience.

Randy is a stand up guy and I have a lot of respect for him and Tekin. I still run Tekin products in my 10th scales and will continue to. Just wanted to share my experience.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by tjosh
I have a question. I always ran Rx8's with a sensor plug but now i am not. I have steering but no throttle. On esc two of the lights come on. Any advice on what to do.
Thanks
Which 2?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Team Tekin

@babydaddy There are times that the caps can't be soldered back on because the pads are torn from the circuit board. This was likey what happened to yours. The caps don't generally unsolder, they pop or tear off.

I will also give you a heads up that if this was an issue take a serious look at your battery/motor setup. Lower quality batteries can cause caps to fail so just in case what batteries are you using? Motor?

There's a reason for the black heat sink change.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.