Search
Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Good Practice Session

Second time out with the TLR, the 35years of rust are starting to fall away.......spent 4hrs or so at the local indoor carpet track running laps and really love how the TLR handles. It flies really predictably which is all I can ask for. For this driver and the tight indoor tracks, the 17.5 is more than enough motor for me. Traction has been stellar with the JC Concepts tires........

Made it through a day intact......so there is that.......

Next up is maybe race 1 this week........
Old 03-29-2024, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

First race last night......been a LONG time since I was on a track with others, or just on the track period really......lol

TLR did well, just driver issues as it takes me a minute or so into the race to get into the groove and up to pace and by that time I am fighting for mid pack. But I am just trying to make it through each race intact and trying to be as smooth as possible. Last lap of one of my heatsI kissed the wall hard off jump and while I didn't break an A-Arm this time I broke the head off the swing arm retaining pin (TLR234098)...the pin is still intact and I raced the Main fine but new pins on the way......

Small local racing (which is a great place for me to start) had 3 TLRs and a couple AEs......one was a B7 that was INSANELY fast to the point we were wondering it it was a 13.5 not 17.5......

I may head to another larger track tomorrow for indoor clay Novice class tomorrow to go get my ass handed to me. I mounted an Electron/Positron combo but have never run on dirt/clay so who knows......
nrtv20 likes this.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The inner hinge pin has a set screw so shouldn't fall out but must have been a crazy hit to rip the head off.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nrtv20
The inner hinge pin has a set screw so shouldn't fall out but must have been a crazy hit to rip the head off.
Evidently I was embracing the "go big or go home" theory at that particular moment.......

By set screw I assume you are talking about the screw that comes in perpendicular from the bottom (TLR5965) right? If so,. good to know it will stay put until I want it out, thanks.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Front pivot block should have it in there, that's what the groove is for on the pin

Old 03-29-2024, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Front pivot block should have it in there, that's what the groove is for on the pin

Yup....spot on.....that is where the two screws go in from the bottom....looks like they align with the slot in the pin as a retaining set screw.........nice design actually.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

First indoor packed clay race today......total poop show. Didn't realize it was a pure slicks game for tires.....so I had the shop set me up with some tires.....unfortunately they didn't have the best selection of front wheels and the Pro-Lines that they gave me and that I glued up new tires to didn't allow for the proper TLR offset and I made it 90 seconds each race before my wheel would fly off.

Re-entered 2 of the heats after someone cranked the wheels back down.....but it didn't matter......

I gave up in the Main after 4 laps as the wheel flew off yet again.....

The good news.......someone running TLRs was awesome and helped me with my initial setup and when I had 4 friggin' wheels on I was only 1.5 seconds off the top third pace for 17.5 2wd.....so hitting 18 seconds where top third was about 16-16.5 secs.......

I'll be back. With tires and wheels that work.......
RetroThutmose likes this.

Last edited by River19; 03-30-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by River19
Yup....spot on.....that is where the two screws go in from the bottom....looks like they align with the slot in the pin as a retaining set screw.........nice design actually.
they go in from the top, not the bottom
River19 likes this.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tacoracer81
they go in from the top, not the bottom
Thanks.....totally missed that set screw in the exploded view.....the downside of picking up an assembled DC roller...
Old 03-31-2024, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

No worries, I'm sure you would have seen it when changing pins.

Funny side note... We had the same exact wheel problem as you last night. Front wheel fell off on my pops car and axle must have dug into carpet and he broke a servo horn and drag Link (plastic not aluminum).
Only thing we've broke on cars so far... I was nervous about my kid, he's rather aggressive with the throttle. He told me he wants to drive by never letting off! 🫣🤦‍♂️
River19 likes this.
Old 03-31-2024, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

No worries, I'm sure you would have seen it when changing pins.

Funny side note... We had the same exact wheel problem as you last night. Front wheel fell off on my pops car and axle must have dug into carpet and he broke a servo horn and drag Link (plastic not aluminum).
Only thing we've broke on cars so far... I was nervous about my kid, he's rather aggressive with the throttle. He told me he wants to drive by never letting off! 🫣🤦‍♂️

Lol......Wait until he starts paying all the bills for the broken parts he may (key word "may") let off in the corners.......

Yeah by the Main I was just fed up with the whole thing and didn't attempt to re-enter. On the way home I tried to reconcile my frustration with the day with the fact that while the car was drivable I turned some OK laps at a track I had never seen before on a surface I have never driven before.......it is what it is.....

I consider all these first adventures paying my dues.....

And I broke a plastic servo horn as well.....swapped to metal.
Old 03-31-2024, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is the 22 platform officially dead yet ?
Dirtryder219 likes this.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

For what it is worth, some key TLR parts are back in stock.........just sayin'
nrtv20 likes this.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by River19
For what it is worth, some key TLR parts are back in stock.........just sayin'
Yep. Front arms!

Can someone educate me about the +2mm carbon shock towers? I too have gotten back into RC after a long hiatus and purchased two second hand 22 5.0AC cars. One has the molded front tower, the other has the +2mm carbon.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default Cheers

Originally Posted by Weasel Soup
Yep. Front arms!

Can someone educate me about the +2mm carbon shock towers? I too have gotten back into RC after a long hiatus and purchased two second hand 22 5.0AC cars. One has the molded front tower, the other has the +2mm carbon.
We are on a similar learning curve.

Luckily I was able to stockpile some front arms as well as Mugen front arms that can work in a pinch per the advice on this thread.

I'll sit back and wait for someone with more experience to answer your carbon question :-)

Tomorrow.....race night for the carpet car and I can finally grab a damn ESC to complete the new to me gently used Elite which will be my clay/dirt car, hoping to get that ready for Sunday races.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.