Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 04-10-2024, 08:09 PM
  #2851  
TLRacing
iTrader: (25)
 
Frank Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,812
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by River19
For what it is worth, some key TLR parts are back in stock.........just sayin'
Yes, we got a few key parts back in stock in CA, with more coming to IL any day. Once they're ready in IL, we'll make a post with the part numbers in stock.
River19 likes this.
Frank Root is offline  
Old 04-11-2024, 03:22 AM
  #2852  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
RetroThutmose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

My first time out with this buggy wasn't good. Running a 21.5 and it's just not enough power to hit a double at my track. After just a few laps I landed bad on the double, cartwheeled across the track and broke my brand new servo gears and servo horn. That was a short session. Got everything back together and looking forward to turning some more laps tonight.
River19 likes this.
RetroThutmose is offline  
Old 04-11-2024, 03:24 AM
  #2853  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RetroThutmose
My first time out with this buggy wasn't good. Running a 21.5 and it's just not enough power to hit a double at my track. After just a few laps I landed bad on the double, cartwheeled across the track and broke my brand new servo gears and servo horn. That was a short session. Got everything back together and looking forward to turning some more laps tonight.
Did you choose the 21.5 specifically for a racing class over a 17.5? Just curious
River19 is offline  
Old 04-11-2024, 07:36 AM
  #2854  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: FoCo by way of WY
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Yes, we got a few key parts back in stock in CA, with more coming to IL any day. Once they're ready in IL, we'll make a post with the part numbers in stock.
Frank, do you know if hobby shops will be getting back orders filled? My local hobby shop & race track is super short on TLR parts. My apologies if you've already been asked that 26 times this week.
Weasel Soup is offline  
Old 04-11-2024, 09:06 AM
  #2855  
TLRacing
iTrader: (25)
 
Frank Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,812
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by River19
For what it is worth, some key TLR parts are back in stock.........just sayin'
Originally Posted by Weasel Soup
Frank, do you know if hobby shops will be getting back orders filled? My local hobby shop & race track is super short on TLR parts. My apologies if you've already been asked that 26 times this week.
For the parts that came in, yes, there was enough quantity to fill all backorders and leave more to be available. But like I said, the IL stock isn't ready yet, any day.

This was not all of the parts, really not close. The metal parts take longer to produce, most of this first shipment we're all molded parts. We're working hard to get the rest in transit ASAP.
Frank Root is offline  
Old 04-11-2024, 09:22 AM
  #2856  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Frank Root
For the parts that came in, yes, there was enough quantity to fill all backorders and leave more to be available. But like I said, the IL stock isn't ready yet, any day.

This was not all of the parts, really not close. The metal parts take longer to produce, most of this first shipment we're all molded parts. We're working hard to get the rest in transit ASAP.
Appreciate the update. Good to see things coming back in stock to support the folks that have remained loyal or folks like myself who just went deep into he TLR platform.

River19 is offline  
Old 04-11-2024, 07:24 PM
  #2857  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Back at it with local carpet off-road this evening with the TLR and took first in the Main of our low key informal Thursday night racing.

First night with the sway bars installed.....big difference, however I still need to dial in my front end, was running 16mm ride height with green TLR springs up front and it was digging in off one of the high speed jumps......something to tweak.

Grabbed another HW Justock to complete my clay car build which hopefully I can sort in time to make of mess of things on Sunday on indoor clay.........
River19 is offline  
Old 04-15-2024, 09:39 AM
  #2858  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: FoCo by way of WY
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by Weasel Soup
Can someone educate me about the +2mm carbon shock towers? I too have gotten back into RC after a long hiatus and purchased two second hand 22 5.0AC cars. One has the molded front tower, the other has the +2mm carbon.
Any experience people can share on what the various different height carbon shock towers do from an on track stand point? Are they just a way to get the car lower for modern tracks as things have evolved over the 12+ years the platform has been out and are necessary? Or, are they merely and tuning option for ____ conditions?
Weasel Soup is offline  
Old 04-15-2024, 10:14 AM
  #2859  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
ChocoTaco73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Las Vegas, Nv
Posts: 347
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Well, the STD height is a good starting point but the -2mm is mostly used on carpet as it will lower the CG, increase suspension droop (which may or may not need to be compensated for using internal limiters) and gives you less uptravel as the shock body has been moved down and the suspension will bottom out sooner than if using the STD or +2mm towers. The +2mm towers basically do the exact opposite, you can make up for having less suspension droop by using +2mm shock ends vs the 0mm ends that way you have the same droop as with the STD tower but more uptravel since the shock is sitting 2mm higher. Good tuning aids to have in the parts bin.
Weasel Soup likes this.
ChocoTaco73 is offline  
Old 04-16-2024, 03:30 AM
  #2860  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Weasel Soup
Any experience people can share on what the various different height carbon shock towers do from an on track stand point? Are they just a way to get the car lower for modern tracks as things have evolved over the 12+ years the platform has been out and are necessary? Or, are they merely and tuning option for ____ conditions?

You can also learn a lot by studying the setup sheets that are available for the TLR and looking at the various conditions, track type, tires run and Spec vs. Mod to get an idea of what experienced drivers are running on the platform for similar conditions to your own.

The TLR is a very capable platform, not the newest, but still very competitive, still supported (TLR is committed and Horizon is fixing their supply challenges) and will certainly perform better than most intermediate drivers will ever drive......if you learn the tuning options it will serve you well.
River19 is offline  
Old 04-16-2024, 07:26 AM
  #2861  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
RetroThutmose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by River19
Did you choose the 21.5 specifically for a racing class over a 17.5? Just curious
yes we have a pretty healthy 21.5 class. it's more of a novice/vintage/less-serious class for 2wd buggy at our club
River19 likes this.
RetroThutmose is offline  
Old 04-19-2024, 04:32 PM
  #2862  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (22)
 
SCRAFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: where its hot
Posts: 739
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Anything new at the Roar Nats??? Let's see some spy shots.
gee-dub likes this.
SCRAFAN is offline  
Old 04-20-2024, 06:57 AM
  #2863  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Waterloo SC
Posts: 218
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SCRAFAN
Anything new at the Roar Nats??? Let's see some spy shots.
All new TLR updates can be seen here. https://visionracing.net
TLR canít even keep parts in stock for their 5+ year old platforms, highly doubt youíll see any new cars being run yet. Probably too busy building another RTR for Losi to bother with new 2wd development.
BP likes this.
Bcollins82 is offline  
Old 04-20-2024, 09:04 AM
  #2864  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bcollins82
All new TLR updates can be seen here. https://visionracing.net
TLR canít even keep parts in stock for their 5+ year old platforms, highly doubt youíll see any new cars being run yet. Probably too busy building another RTR for Losi to bother with new 2wd development.
My understanding from speaking with some people close to "the situation" the "issue" was much more a Horizon Hobby issue than TLR themselves. TLR is committed to racing and the platforms and getting back their momentum. Parts are coming back in stock with the composite non-CNC type parts leading the way ahead of the CNC's type items. The most common breakables (A-Arms etc. have been shipped for back orders as I received a number of them recently).

While the whole thing is clearly frustrating and no bueno in general, I think the death of TLR has been greatly exaggerated.

Not making excuses for a series of bone head decisions necessarily, but just saying we are entering the light at the end of the tunnel.
Matt M. likes this.
River19 is offline  
Old 04-20-2024, 09:30 AM
  #2865  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
hanulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 10,279
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bcollins82
All new TLR updates can be seen here. https://visionracing.net
TLR canít even keep parts in stock for their 5+ year old platforms, highly doubt youíll see any new cars being run yet. Probably too busy building another RTR for Losi to bother with new 2wd development.

I wouldn't believe that

I do hear they had a much different and regrettable problem with a plastic mold maker and a new car...
hanulec is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.