Like Tree880Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 02-22-2024, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nielsm
The big question is whether this will force RC companies to have better resiliency for manufacturing and supply chain. Relying on a single partner/geography is a high risk.

TBH, the parts shortage for Losi could very well kill them as a racing brand especially when you add in the 22 hasnít seen an update in years. The Minis have been a bit better supported with updates et al, but even there parts shortages are starting to pop up. While AE may have some parts shortages now with the ramp up for the B7, in general parts for them are more widely available than TLR, Schumacher, Kyosho or Yokomo. It ends up reinforcing them as a default option.
I've heard Mexico is seeing a huge boom in manufacturing because companies are moving their offshore manufacturing capabilities to there from other countries with less friendly/stable relationships with the US. Not sure any RC companies are doing that yet, but it's a thing that's happening in other businesses because it's just a bit too risky to rely solely on China now.
nielsm likes this.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just picked up a TLR 5.0 DC as my first buggy since an original RC10 back in 1988 or so......jumping back into the hobby with a plan to have some fun with an older TC4 platform as best I can as well as this TLR and I think a TT02 will also come aboard as the the 2wd buggy and the TT02 give me the most options locally for classes to have some fun.

At the recommendation of the local shop I picked up:
TLR 5.0 DC (they had the DC in stock)
Noble NB4 (figured this was a good platform for multiple cars eventually)
Reefs RC 299LP servo
New Wave Ultra V1 17.5 motor

Waiting on the ESC and battery to come in next week.........excited to get started and cause some trouble (mostly trouble for myself).

I am in the process of picking up some extra tires as I have the JC Concepts tires for carpet (the surface locally) but I will need some for a tacky clay truck as well.......open to recommendations of course.

What newbie mistakes am I about to make?
nrtv20, thedak and nielsm like this.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't understand why a local hobby shop would recommend buying a TLR right now considering the parts supply issues. That being said, be sure not to break any front arms for at least the next month, maybe 2. If you're going to be running on clay and carpet I'd have a ball and gear diff handy (the 5.0 Race Roller comes with a gear diff, not sure if you got that or the Elite). For the most part I'd speak with local TLR racers about setup and general pointers. Get some experience with the car before dumping a bunch of money into it, enjoy it before it becomes a huge time and money sink like RC can be lol
Old 03-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Appreciate the heads up on the parts challenges.....it is what it is.

I'm not new to the money pit of hobbies......we race bikes and my wife has two horses which she shows......so......this is cheap by comparison lol

Between the online setup information and the local folks there are plenty of "suggestions" and resource for sure. My loose plan is to start with the stock setup and run that as a baseline before doing anything else.

Thanks again for the watch out on the A arms......
ChocoTaco73 likes this.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Any issue with this buggy ?

https://www.tlracing.com/product/1-1.../TLR03012.html
Old 03-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by foosoomin
Plenty, starting with parts availability being a complete disaster, continuing with setup sheets that are nearly useless unless you spend more than the car costs in new parts to copy them, and ending with a company that has proven the last handful of years that they do not care what their consumers are asking for. The car itself is a quality unit, but save yourself the headache and buy a kit from literally any other brand on the market.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bcollins82
Plenty, starting with parts availability being a complete disaster, continuing with setup sheets that are nearly useless unless you spend more than the car costs in new parts to copy them, and ending with a company that has proven the last handful of years that they do not care what their consumers are asking for. The car itself is a quality unit, but save yourself the headache and buy a kit from literally any other brand on the market.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Has anyone experimented with the 22S drag front arm and caster block? At minimum it looks like the caster block has a similar pin location as the outer VLA hole. Also different is the turnbuckle mount, may need different shim height on inner location to maintain desired geometry. The 22S arm geometry is slightly different where the out outer pin is 79mm from inner pin and the pin screw hole is 75mm from the inner pin. From what I measured on the 22 arm it's 74mm. Shock distance from inner pin is very similar as well. The arm seems way more plausible as a substitute if no spares can be found. I ordered a set of each so I didn't have to disassemble my cars.

Thoughts or opinions?

Old 03-09-2024, 09:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The Mugen MSB1 arms work in a pinch, just have to open up the inner hinge pin holes a bit
Larse, MonkeyCmonkeyDo and River19 like this.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for that tip.....ordered a couple to be safe while we wait for Losi to remember where they put the formula for their composite to make more......
Old 03-09-2024, 11:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just checked a popular 1/10 2w tlr competitors' site for parts availability of their recent release/latest kit using keyword search. fill rate was 32/63 or <51%. won't name the site to prevent fanboism/hateresponses, and i fully acknowledge using keyword search to determine product line fill rate is by no means scientific, but it does reasonably reflect said rate for at least part of the current product given the new-unique naming. my points are just that when criticizing tlr's fill rates and restock intervals (which i do agree are not desirable), it would be fair to compare to the market and that i think rc10nick's point about near-shore manufacturing are accurate and it would be interesting to see if our hobby's supply chain dynamics make sense to go that route.
nielsm likes this.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You also have to take into account that the B7 (and we all know you're talking about AE) is a new buggy, sharing very few parts compatibility with the 6.4, the parts of which are still readily available and I assume, still being manufactured. TLR on the other hand, has been using basically the same buggy since 2018. No new buggy, with a few exceptions, no new parts, no new anything except for those parts made by the aftermarket. So when parts are unavailable for a buggy which was released barely over a month ago, it kinda makes sense. TLR, not so much.
BP, RC10Nick and Bcollins82 like this.

Last edited by ChocoTaco73; 03-10-2024 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

I don't think looking at stock on AE's own website is a real world reflection of parts availability. Parts "out of stock" on their website are available literally everywhere I've looked where people actually buy parts from. Who's buying parts direct from AE's website? Meanwhile many critical TLR parts have been out of stock everywhere for basically the entire winter indoor racing season. I think anyone trying to defend TLR by saying "other brands" don't have parts in stock aren't living in reality.
Bcollins82 and ChocoTaco73 like this.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Who's buying parts direct from AE's website?
well...apparently enough people that ttae has, for many years and continues to, justify spending the money to maintain their 4000+ SKUs (price, availability, status, associated vendor partnerships, etc.) web store.

the expected fanboism has reared its head (ae is strong on this site (side note: for a fun read, see all the posts about how horizon/tlr 'doesn't care about racing' while simultaneously fielding a team that won the recent 2w worlds (at rivkin's home track no less), and nationals, and ...)), which is not to say that opinions re: hh/tlr parts availability are invalid/wrong.

Re: "I think anyone trying to defend TLR by saying "other brands" don't have parts in stock aren't living in reality."
not that i saw anyone "trying to defend" tlr's parts availability or replenishment intervals (actually just the opposite if referring to my post), but let's hypotheticalize a moment and assume there were such a post. other than LITERALLY comparing a manufacturer competing in the same scale (1/10), in the same market (US), in the same category (2w competition offroad), beyond "other brands" parts availability fill rate, what criteria exactly would you use when discussing...parts availability? oh wait, let me guess... women's pickleball paddles, on aisle 9, at the local CVS store, in Podunk, IA? C'mon....man - K. Johnson

before boxers/briefs get further bunched, i'm agreeing with the general points, though just opening them up a bit. to the OP - (foosoomin), let me speak like others, without facts to backup my statements and acting like mine are the opinions of the masses. hh/tlr fill rates in the US seem to be on the low(er) end of the spectrum vs. other brands (though primarily, unspokenly, that of tt/ae). this has been an ongoing issue for a long time (long being pre-COVID). replenishment, as assumedly caused by shipments that are financially feasible to fill a container from APAC, also seem to be less frequent for hh/tlr (again vs. tt/ae) as evidenced by ae homepage parts availability restock intervals vs. that of hh/tlr. this is relevant not only to the kit you are asking about, but any kit you might be considering. additional information might be helpful such as - are you getting this second hand at a good price with a bunch of spares already included (that type of thing). another thing to consider is that the kit has been on the market for quite some time. that i am aware of, if having 'latest and greatest' is important, that will be something to consider (again, more information might be helpful).
Old 03-10-2024, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

I ran TLR before the 5.0 came out and switched to AE because said 5.0 kept getting delayed. In the last 6 years Ive only had one time where I couldn't get parts for my AEs were week of launching a new buggy, and some time I think in about 2021 where the hard plastics were discontinued and the carbon was being developed. But we all still had plenty of parts as it was mostly arms that were scarce.

I even reccomended trying TLRs to plenty of people until recently when even my friends on the team are worried about parts.

Meanwhile AE has released 4 new 2wd kits (though the 6.3 was kinda useless) a new ST and SC. TLR has relaeased a version of the 5.0 and discontinued the ST. On top of if you want a competitive setup for any of them you need conversion kits, option parts and dremeling.

But yeah we're the fanboys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.