Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree649Likes

Team Associated B6 & B6D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Originally Posted by kdub
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuperRC
Does AE have a metric screw kit that has various different size screws,not car specific? i.e just a spare screw kit to replace any stripped screws and can just be used randomly. Saves buying a pack with a bunch of same size screws.
(Not Ti or steel, just standard kit screws)
if you are looking for some cheap spares, check out ACE hardware; they have a good selection of 3mm flat/button screws, washers and locknuts for about .10 per, depending on what length you get
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shdwboxn
if you are looking for some cheap spares, check out ACE hardware; they have a good selection of 3mm flat/button screws, washers and locknuts for about .10 per, depending on what length you get
They have Ace hardware's down under?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Phillip F
thanks for explaining, Einstein. That's a really nice way of explaining to people who don't have english as their first language. It's almost racist.
It was a joke, but not a racist joke. Admittedly not a very funny one. I did explain it, you can look all the terms up on google in 5 seconds.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shdwboxn
Thanks for the reply. We don't have ace hardware down under.
I know other Rc brands have these screw kits, just wondering if AE does too? Its just good to have some spares.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:23 AM
Tech Champion

I know other Rc brands have these screw kits, just wondering if AE does too? Its just good to have some spares.
AE has a S.A.E. (4-40 thread kit) but nothing in metric at this time.

Other known online options are fastener express or microfasteners. I'm sure there are others with car specific kits but I forget their names.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Guys,

Scroll down halfway down the page and the is 4 packs of Ti Screws and that way you can grab certain sizes of button and countersunk ones for spares. You pay about a dollar a screw:

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...s_accessories/

If you meant a package of say 2 or 4 of every screw size used in the kit and Ti at the same time then that would be nice to have offered, but maybe just get a second complete set and coupon code it somewhere online to save as best you can.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

KNK has some bulk stuff, not sure if it'll be any help but it's awesome for the vintage stuff Right Here
Old 07-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AntH3000
In terms of static weight distribution it doesn't matter where and how masses are moved around in the car, it's the final corner weight figures that count. It does increase polar moment of inertia moving the shocks back though. So in proportion to the static weight distribution, 'weight transfer' (as you refer to it) under acceleration is likely reduced, at least transiently.
This is where I say your explanation is terrible because nobody understands what you're saying.

It matters where the weight is because weight is really just gravity. Weight is measured at each corner of the car in a static environment and that's where you get your corner weight values. That environment is a safe place like a workbench and a scale, but that isn't where we race.

Corner weights are a good overall metric because it's very hard to measure dynamic forces at play on the race track, but to pretend like those dynamic forces don't exist is a bit silly.

Once you get into that dynamic environment (like a race track) then center of gravity is at play as is dynamic weight distribution (weight transfer) which is impacted by center of gravity. Adjusting the shock locations impact center of gravity and adjusting shock locations outside of the wheel base also has a added bonus of pendulum effect is can have. Take for example a rear motor buggy and their tendency to spin as compared to a mid motor buggy. In the case of rear mounted shocks, it is also an impact regardless of how minor.

So what do you do when you can't effectively measure those dynamic forces? You experiment and go with what feels best. It's best to understand what basic impact the changes have so you know which direction to go in. My intent was to describe those impacts.

The impact of the weights as I described them are accurate, and I argue that people understood (even though you said it was a terrible explanation). Once I see a manufacturer's tuning guide that tells it's kit owners about polar moments and such versus the impact of the adjustment then I will concede that you explanation is superior.

Until then, enjoy your formulas.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
This is where I say your explanation is terrible because nobody understands what you're saying.
Your explanation was so wrong and assumed so much Sir Isaac Newton is not rolling in his resting place, he's moving in non-newtonian ways
I wrote a long and boring reply but deleted it and will be straight to the point with this one, not aimed at you of course.

Front of the arm vs rear of the arm? Try both and see for yourself which feels better if it feels better and the clock agrees it's the better of the two.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Your explanation was so wrong and assumed so much Sir Isaac Newton is not rolling in his resting place, he's moving in non-newtonian ways
I wrote a long and boring reply but deleted it and will be straight to the point with this one, not aimed at you of course.
What did I say that was wrong? You're saying this isn't accurate? ->
  • Rear of arm = More weight transfer to rear on acceleration/more forward traction/less on power steering
  • Front of arm = Less weight transfer to rear on acceleration/less forward traction/more on power steering

If that's not accurate, then what is it? You and Ant keep saying I'm wrong, but aren't providing what the impact of shock locations is.

I can only assume you guys are saying it's the opposite of what I said, so it sounds like you guys saying that shocks on the rear give more on power steering and less forward traction? Shocks on the front give less on power steering and more forward traction?

I don't get it.

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Front of the arm vs rear of the arm? Try both and see for yourself which feels better if it feels better and the clock agrees it's the better of the two.
Isn't that what I said? "You experiment and go with what feels best."
Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Hey guys, I summed up the feeling in a single post. We all have better stuff to do than argue about the science behind it.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@Socket, yes indeed no need to write long boring replies, you summed the effect nicely as always.

@goehm, yeah you said that but that wasn't the focus of my (and apparently AntH3000) reply. Sending you a PM
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Socket
Hey guys, I summed up the feeling in a single post. We all have better stuff to do than argue about the science behind it.
I agree, no need to get too technical on RCTech.

Back to the shock towers! I am envisioning fabrication of an XRAY XB4 brace. Just kidding, I never broke one of those but I guess it was an issue on those cars for some.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
Too many engineers, not enough hobbyists
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Technical this or that, this language that language (I say Google terms you don't understand)..."racist", give me a break

At the end of the day, just ask yourself. "What would Wildcherry say?"

The answer...Nobody knows, most people can't read "smoke"..except maybe Cheech and Chong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.