Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree810Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

I'll stick with my TUB in GT2, it's been that way since the beginning of time, and I feel is one of the best rules of TCS. I personally don't have the coin for a carbon car, and you can't count on everyone being able to find a cheap, used, good condition carbon car. The tub racing has been some of the closest and most fun in all of TCS.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linger
Day 2:

Tony F TQ'ed all three rounds.

Juan TQ'ed 2 out of three rounds but roasted either his speedo, battery or motor.

Devin is qualified 5th.

I'm qualified right behind Marc Rheinard, but the bad news is that I'm qualified 6th (Marc is 5th). The Japanese kid running the TA05 was faster than Rheinhard by 0.4 seconds in the last round....Holy snot. Victor Wilck really stepped it up today and is qualified 3rd.

One more round of qualifying tomorrow and then the mains. I think we are all locked into the A-main, so we're all coming home. This is fun. I think this will snap me out of retirement. 416 is looking real good.
Originally Posted by AWK
Ask Rheinard and his 416 how it felt to get smoked by a kid in a nearly box stock TA05 a few years ago at the Tamiya worlds and tell me the kid had a disadvantage running the tub car. Put Dave Jun in a TA05 and most TCS racers in a TRF car and I bet he wins easy. Driver counts.

Merely a suggestion to consider as the times change.
Originally Posted by maxepower
You wouldn't happen to know what motor Rheinard and the kid were running? Inquireing minds want to know!
The year was 2007. Tamiya worlds GT Victory class. Rheinard had a 416 but was not allowed to run it since it was not available to the public yet. He ran a 415. A kid running a TA05 kicked some serious a$$. His driving was unreal. The motor was a 23 turn. It felt like all out mod considering the Tamiya type A's and the virgin gray carpet. Ahh, good times. The driver counts, but if the skillset is close - the double deck CF car will win.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Fixed. I received some Hobby Shop feedback
Fred,
How come in all the other 17.5 classes for the Novak motors you can use either the Novak SS pro 17.5 or the Ballistic 17.5! but in mini GT only the Novak Ballistic 17.5 is allowed?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AWK
USED TRF417s are going to be in the $250 range once the 417X comes out, and the different 416 models are already below that, hence why a range was presented.

GT1 used to be open mod, now it isn't. We used to run 24 degree stock motors in GT2 and 19t in GT1, and now GT2 is faster than those 19t GT1 days. You used to be able to pick any insert and now you can't. Heck, in real racing, F1 was for the best drivers in the world, and not merely those with money to buy a ride, but as we have seen in recent years (Vitaly Petrov..cough, cough) things change.

Ask Rheinard and his 416 how it felt to get smoked by a kid in a nearly box stock TA05 a few years ago at the Tamiya worlds and tell me the kid had a disadvantage running the tub car. Put Dave Jun in a TA05 and most TCS racers in a TRF car and I bet he wins easy. Driver counts.

Merely a suggestion to consider as the times change.
And don't forget Maldonado. But his Venezulan oil money may dry up in 2013.

Will be some time before you find a good 417 for under $ 400.00 but you can find good TA05's fully loaded now for $ 200.00. Just pop for a new 13.5 like I am in your 417, figure out a new gearing that will be as uber dialed as your 17.5 was in your 417 at Nats and come have fun with us in January.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

Talking RE: Chassis vs. Driving skills

The year was 2007. Tamiya worlds GT Victory class. Rheinard had a 416 but was not allowed to run it since it was not available to the public yet. He ran a 415. A kid running a TA05 kicked some serious a$$. His driving was unreal. The motor was a 23 turn. It felt like all out mod considering the Tamiya type A's and the virgin gray carpet. Ahh, good times. The driver counts, but if the skillset is close - the double deck CF car will win.
AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! the good old days of 23 turn brushed motors. When Timmy and me went to Japan they really dumbed down the speeds. It was sad to see 27 turn motors in GT-1 class with dumb down gearing run as slow as the mini's with Johnson motors. If Tim was able to run faster speeds I think his skills would have been more of a factor.
Timmy won using 13.5 brushless with boost and timing on a Tekin ESC for the Nationals , then having him run god awful slow motors in Japan was sad to see!
P.S. But, if we could we would do it all over again. I loved going to Japan!!!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

... The driver counts, but if the skillset is close - the double deck CF car will win.

you can lead the horse to water but you cant make them drink it..

weight penalty helps, if the numbers are rite.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Question on GT1 for FMW.

The rules state Trinity Duo3 (D3) for 13.5.
Does this mean the D2 and D1 are null and void for the competition (even in 17.5 & 21.5)?

The D1 & D2 were supposed to be ROAR spec and would think each step was an improvement to the D3.

Not trying to open a can of worms, just looking for ways to save money for myself and others who might wish to compete, yet don't have the latest versions. I suppose if they were motors that gave Tamiya business and the spec changed, then that would be different.

Coop
Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Are there going to add a race in the southeast for us Tamiya racers?? Sense Memphis is not doing one this year.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation TQ raceway!

I need to find out what tires are we going to be able to use at TQ?
Isn't there a new Tamiya Pre-mount spec tire available?
If it's an "A" compound tire then I guess that would be the tire of choice. Or would it? Kevin Cole, Tom, anybody else that goes to TQ know what Tamiya tires are we going to be able to use and what works? Maybe Fred knows, I heard he was there not that long ago!
Inquiring minds need to know!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hey Max, Fred's been rockin Pit Shimizus on his F1 at TQ like the rest of us.
When we all have to go to Tamiya tires, well, at least it will be the same for everyone.
TC tires? Couldn't tell ya.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation Rug RAT RACING!!!!

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Hey Max, Fred's been rockin Pit Shimizus on his F1 at TQ like the rest of us.
When we all have to go to Tamiya tires, well, at least it will be the same for everyone.
TC tires? Couldn't tell ya.
I wonder how the Tamiya kit tires work there for F1? I would like to do some testing with Tamiya tire to see what I need to change on set-up. Anybody running mini's there? Is there a new spec tire for mini that's for carpet? More questions than answers!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wonder how the Tamiya kit tires work there for F1? I would like to do some testing with Tamiya tire to see what I need to change on set-up. Anybody running mini's there? Is there a new spec tire for mini that's for carpet? More questions than answers!
F1 will run foam
The Tamiya rubbers are good for about 3-5 laps, then you are holding on for dear life
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I need to find out what tires are we going to be able to use at TQ?
Isn't there a new Tamiya Pre-mount spec tire available?
If it's an "A" compound tire then I guess that would be the tire of choice. Or would it? Kevin Cole, Tom, anybody else that goes to TQ know what Tamiya tires are we going to be able to use and what works? Maybe Fred knows, I heard he was there not that long ago!
Inquiring minds need to know!
Hi Max,

Tire rules noted in the 2012 rules. For mini, you have to run one of the three pre-mounts (Super Grips, Type-A with soft insert or Type-A with soft insert). GT-1, GT-2 and GT-3 can run any Tamiya 24mm tire and wheel. Meaning you can run the Type A, Type B, Type B3 or Type C with any insert. For F1, it states foam tire class for indoor carpet only so that would be my guess as Brad mentioned already as the tire for the TQ race.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Still can't fathom why we're having a race at TQ. Best guess I have is that there wasn't room in the budget for a 2nd race at the Tamiya track. Actually, I'd have preferred a dropping of the Jan. Tamiya date and having the SoCal regional at Tamiya in May when the TQ race is.

What happens if we get a rainout in Jan.????? Does that mean we have to race at TQ????

As you said Max, more ?????? than answers.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just brought in a few sets of the Type C tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.