Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree830Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation TQ testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Granpa
Still can't fathom why we're having a race at TQ. Best guess I have is that there wasn't room in the budget for a 2nd race at the Tamiya track. Actually, I'd have preferred a dropping of the Jan. Tamiya date and having the SoCal regional at Tamiya in May when the TQ race is.

What happens if we get a rainout in Jan.????? Does that mean we have to race at TQ????

As you said Max, more ?????? than answers.
Yes, it would seem to make more sense to run the indoor race in January and the outdoor in May but I do remember a wet Reedy race on Memorial weekend!
We should go to TQ and test the new "A"s at TQ. How about during Christmas and New year week. I'm off and we could spend all day testing? WDYT?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Still can't fathom why we're having a race at TQ. Best guess I have is that there wasn't room in the budget for a 2nd race at the Tamiya track. Actually, I'd have preferred a dropping of the Jan. Tamiya date and having the SoCal regional at Tamiya in May when the TQ race is.

What happens if we get a rainout in Jan.????? Does that mean we have to race at TQ????

Nothing wrong with a little variety is there ?

Maybe some new racers will join in on the fun.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Yes, it would seem to make more sense to run the indoor race in January and the outdoor in May but I do remember a wet Reedy race on Memorial weekend!
We should go to TQ and test the new "A"s at TQ. How about during Christmas and New year week. I'm off and we could spend all day testing? WDYT?
Aren't the new Tamiya "C"s supposed to be best for carpet?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:02 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys,

Let me shed some light on some things. I can't answer everything but here's what I will...

1. TQ equals variety. Let's step out of the sand box a little
2. Last year we had an awesome weather day for our January race. Remember the May one got rained out? Hellooooooo....If the Jan race gets rained out we will re-run it. We will just do it commando style. Bring your own power and pitting.
3. D2, D1 motors. Hmmmm I'll look into it, but no promises.
4. F-1 at TQ. The best tire at TQ is PITTS. However, it's a Tamiya race so we are going to use Tamiya tires. Both foam and Rubber will be classes run.
5. Think of the TA race in January as the Spa round and the TQ event as the Monaco race. TQ will be a great carpet learning experience for all
6. The Type C tire will be your best choice at TQ for Touring car. It's that way in the mid west tracks and the east.
7. The 3 traveling classes for the 2012 finals are: Note: You must win 1st place in order to be eligible to race at the Tamiya world finals. If you are unable to attend, the trip will not be handed down to 2nd place. Just and FYI guys.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default TQ

Originally Posted by maxepower
Sounds like a plan. Talk to you tomorrow.

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Nothing wrong with a little variety is there ?

Maybe some new racers will join in on the fun.
No there isn't, but variety for variety's sake isn't always a good thing. If I were "tooling" around in a Bently, I sure wouldn't try out a Fiat 500 just for a little variety. This isn't a knock on TQ, cause I've heard it's a nice track with good management. I'd planned on doing some racing there next year, but I've gotten a little spoiled.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Default Carpet is cool!

Originally Posted by FMW
Hi guys,

Let me shed some light on some things. I can't answer everything but here's what I will...

1. TQ equals variety. Let's step out of the sand box a little
2. Last year we had an awesome weather day for our January race. Remember the May one got rained out? Hellooooooo....If the Jan race gets rained out we will re-run it. We will just do it commando style. Bring your own power and pitting.
3. D2, D1 motors. Hmmmm I'll look into it, but no promises.
4. F-1 at TQ. The best tire at TQ is PITTS. However, it's a Tamiya race so we are going to use Tamiya tires. Both foam and Rubber will be classes run.
5. Think of the TA race in January as the Spa round and the TQ event as the Monaco race. TQ will be a great carpet learning experience for all
6. The Type C tire will be your best choice at TQ for Touring car. It's that way in the mid west tracks and the east.
7. The 3 traveling classes for the 2012 finals are: Note: You must win 1st place in order to be eligible to race at the Tamiya world finals. If you are unable to attend, the trip will not be handed down to 2nd place. Just and FYI guys.
I didn't read the fine print as it pertains to carpet track so I just need to run Tamiya rims and tires and any insert for the carpet.

Fred you got PM!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRBMOJO
Yes, & they ARE. I noticed that I only needed one set per car(used 'em in both GT2 & GT1) for the whole weekend at the Track at Harbor Hobbies' TCS race back in March, & they almost seemed to get faster as the weekend went on, they felt better & better the longer I ran mine....
Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRBMOJO
Maybe, although I like A's better and let a GT1 driver borrow my C's who did well also at The Track.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
You need to use your powers of persuasion to get the powers that be to produce a "type C" F1 tire so we can run rubber everywhere...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
You need to use your powers of persuasion to get the powers that be to produce a "type C" F1 tire so we can run rubber everywhere...
Brilliant!

Twist some arms, it seems to be a no brainer. Heck, the World's Finals are on carpet aren't they?
If the C compound is good why not pump it into the existing molds?
Or just have the guys at Pit Shimz blast out a few gazillion sets with Tamiya logos on em and keep the F104 a full blown race car as it is now on Pitt's 571 and 572.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Grandpa,

It's easy to fathom why a race at TQ. First, we have been spoiled with twoRregionals AND the Nationals at our home track. The races are partially awarded as a thank you to tracks that support Tamiya through kits and parts sales and TQ definitely supports Tamiya, has a great indoor carpet track, no packing EZ-ups, generators, tables or chairs (that do cost Tamiya a few thousand dollars to rent for the regional race) so why not a race at TQ ?

As for rainouts, it was the May Regional earlier this year that was rained out, not the January race. And Fred did count "entries" at the track for the May race that did not run as "eligible" to count as running a race to qualify for Nationals.

Do you have to run at TQ ? No, but it sounds like you are really against running there which is surprising. Everyone who races at TQ always talks highly of the track and the track owner / promoter Sean. I can't say the same for other tracks and promoters in the area.

Panda
Old 12-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Hi Grandpa,

It's easy to fathom why a race at TQ. First, we have been spoiled with twoRregionals AND the Nationals at our home track. The races are partially awarded as a thank you to tracks that support Tamiya through kits and parts sales and TQ definitely supports Tamiya, has a great indoor carpet track, no packing EZ-ups, generators, tables or chairs (that do cost Tamiya a few thousand dollars to rent for the regional race) so why not a race at TQ ?

As for rainouts, it was the May Regional earlier this year that was rained out, not the January race. And Fred did count "entries" at the track for the May race that did not run as "eligible" to count as running a race to qualify for Nationals.

Do you have to run at TQ ? No, but it sounds like you are really against running there which is surprising. Everyone who races at TQ always talks highly of the track and the track owner / promoter Sean. I can't say the same for other tracks and promoters in the area.

Panda
I really enjoy coming out an racing at the TAMIYA track, but doesn't it get old running it week in and out like some of you guys do?
I have not been to TQ based on the fact that I am in Detroit, but I am doing business with Sean the owner, and from what I can tell so far he is a great guy who runs a great business. We have lost most of the onroad tacks here in Detroit from lack of support, my advice would be to flock to that track to race or it may not be there when you need/ want it.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I really enjoy coming out an racing at the TAMIYA track, but doesn't it get old running it week in and out like some of you guys do?
I have not been to TQ based on the fact that I am in Detroit, but I am doing business with Sean the owner, and from what I can tell so far he is a great guy who runs a great business. We have lost most of the onroad tacks here in Detroit from lack of support, my advice would be to flock to that track to race or it may not be there when you need/ want it.
+1

I live an hour from the Tamiya track and have been there twice since the Nationals. One of those times was the Speedtech open race.

Practice is always good but race experience is a huge lesson to improve to so you can battle without taking people out all the time.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for some of us Tamiya is the most convenient option.. everything else is just too far.. i like the Tamiya track and casual atmosphere, people who enjoy racing Race-Replicas.

that being said, if i race this years series i do look forward to TQ.. a change, but i dont want to have to build a car just for that track. thats just silly for the casual racers that Tamiya seems to attract.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Paging Mr. Wippler, paging Mr. Wippler!
Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. We need to sneaky-talk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.